+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Daily Mail - Jonny Owen comments on Notts

Daily Mail - Jonny Owen comments on Notts

From Daily Mail on line Sports web page

We're all Notts County fans...

It seems you can't mention Wrexham these days without a nod to Notts County. They have been neck and neck in an enthralling season.

I must declare I had two dogs in the fight as my Mrs (actress Vicky McClure) is a lifelong County fan. It comes from her Grandad, Ralph McClure, and her Mum Carol.

Vicky's Grandad is a D-Day veteran and still a ticket holder at the grand old age of 98! Remarkable. He even remembers the Scottish genius Hughie Gallacher playing for the Magpies of Nottingham in the 1936/37 season.

Like lots in football I hope County, the oldest club in the football league, regain their treasured position.

As with Wrexham they are an historical club; their kit is even the basis for the Old Lady of Italian football, Juventus's, world-famous design.

Our house will be cheering them on in the play offs against Boreham Wood this Sunday for sure.
    And our household will be supporting Notts County in the National League play-offs on Sunday

And our household will be supporting Notts County in the National League play-offs on Sunday

Listen to Jonny Owen and Friends on talkSPORT every Sunday from 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by LincsPie View Post
    From Daily Mail on line Sports web page
    Nice to know there's still at least one fan out there who can remember Notts as far back as 1936/37, a season that would have seen us promoted had we taken 3 points from the final 2 games. 30k at ML v Brighton for the final home game, we blew it, lost and Luton snatched promotion instead. Hughie Gallacher's life ended in great tragedy.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 05-05-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Hughie Gallacher's life ended in great tragedy.
    Have always known the name and fame but I didn't know about that - very distressing and sad.