+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomorrow's game

Tomorrow's game

I sincerely hope all our fans belt out the National Anthem unlike those phookin horrible bindippers who booed all the way through it. RETARDS.

I'm in the middle, I'd never boo it nor would I join in, each to his own. ps. our national anthem is crap, should be land of hope and glory.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I'm in the middle, I'd never boo it nor would I join in, each to his own. ps. our national anthem is crap, should be land of hope and glory.
    this UK "National Anthem" was a popular choice for a few other European countries up until the 19 century - Kritti, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden.....and was the anthem of Prussia up until the late 1900's.

Heil dir im Siegerkranz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1SbOoPS2U

but who still uses it today ?

Liechtenstein

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I sincerely hope all our fans belt out the National Anthem unlike those phookin horrible bindippers who booed all the way through it. RETARDS.
    Sing a Krauts anthem? I don't fecking think so Alfie.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I agree Chris, even I, a Royalist to the core, find it a tad embarrassing, and it's emphasis on the monarch as representing the nation gives republicans a valid excuse not to sing it. As you say, Land of Hope and Glory would be much preferable, but I suspect we're stuck with God save the King, no possiblity whatsoever of it being dropped. I do like the French and American anthems, I often sing along with them just for the fun of it, but that mournful dirge the Jocks have adopted to sing before Rugby games, what on earth has got into them, is that the best they can come up with, although it does express some anti-English sentiment, so I suppose it satisfies the baser elements of the overwhelmingly delightful Scottish people.

Strange that people think that Land of Hope and Glory should be adopted, particularly in these modern times when our history is always being questioned, when gender is a taboo subject etc., etc.
    Can we really sing "Mother of the free" ---surely this would have to be changed to cater for lots of people.
    "God who made thee mighty" ---whose God are we talking about ---something else to upset lots of people.
    ALso, the history of the lyrics would cause offence to lots of people because it was written before World War I and was initially intended to be a celebration of the glory of war and Britain’s power on the international stage. Just tell that to the 'Wokeratti!'

Bear in mind too that Elgar wrote Pomp and Circumstance containing this hymn and he was very much influenced by Austro and German music ----BT certainly won't like that.
    Back to the drawing board chaps.

My take on the national anthem, is that it should reflect on the country no an individual.

I would be happy for our national anthem to be Land of Hope & Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Strange that people think that Land of Hope and Glory should be adopted, particularly in these modern times when our history is always being questioned, when gender is a taboo subject etc., etc.
    Can we really sing "Mother of the free" ---surely this would have to be changed to cater for lots of people.
    "God who made thee mighty" ---whose God are we talking about ---something else to upset lots of people.
    ALso, the history of the lyrics would cause offence to lots of people because it was written before World War I and was initially intended to be a celebration of the glory of war and Britain’s power on the international stage. Just tell that to the 'Wokeratti!'
    It's quite mild compared to La Marseillaise Sub, that talks about son's throats being cut and French fields running with the invaders blood. Doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest, but I don't think the French are as in thrall to the w@nkerati as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's quite mild compared to La Marseillaise Sub, that talks about son's throats being cut and French fields running with the invaders blood. Doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest, but I don't think the French are as in thrall to the w@nkerati as we are.
    Couldn't agree more, sinkov, they are not as in thrall, nor do they get persecuted by all and sundry for any very slight misdemeanour. That seems to be something very much thrown at we Brits if we step out of line. C'est la vie et plus ca change.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)