+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Richard Wood testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    Have we had a more successful player?
    Based solely on my time following RUFC it's difficult to say really. He only played 40% of his career games for us and recorded 1 runners-up medal and one FL Cup medal. Paul Hurst played almost 100% of his career games for us and had a similar medal haul. On the player manager front Ronnie only played 16% of his career for us but was part of one of our only 2 ever League winning teams had some managerial success as did Paul Warne who played 55% of his career with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Based solely on my time following RUFC it's difficult to say really. He only played 40% of his career games for us and recorded 1 runners-up medal and one FL Cup medal. Paul Hurst played almost 100% of his career games for us and had a similar medal haul. On the player manager front Ronnie only played 16% of his career for us but was part of one of our only 2 ever League winning teams had some managerial success as did Paul Warne who played 55% of his career with us.
    He got 2 runners up medals, and a play off winner’s medal as well as the EFL trophy.

But I agree, Woody has been brilliant and he deserves recognition but a stand is a bit much. I’d put Ronnie and Breck before him if it came to naming stands.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Not sure the safety advisory group would have a wood stand either..🤣
    Best tell Forest Greens architect's then.

And here it is

Name:  IMG_0057.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  5.8 KB

The Magic Hatstand

I think we all need to measure our tributes to Richard Wood because at this rate people will be demanding dual carriageways should be renamed in his name.Fantastic player,great memories and 9 years within the modern day is a long time at one club.Naming stands is ridiculous.....you only have 4,unless you a decagon stadium,which might give you a bit more leeway!
    PS Don't get me started about 'servants' regarding footballers.It's a ridiculous cliche that has been attributed to footballers earning 300k per week.I don't know many 'servants' on that!

Wow I see balance and objectivity is in action on here.
    A stand 😂😂😂😂

Testimonials used to be a reward for 10 years service but moreso it was about giving a player a few quid as back in the day they obviously earned nothing like players do today. The money the player got was often used to set up a business, often a pub lol. Any professional footballer at any level today shouldn't need the money if they've played professional football for 10 consecutive years, maybe league 2 level perhaps but definitely no higher.

In terms of Woody, a game for us to be able to show our gratitude and recognition towards him would be brilliant, include the players Scum and some others have mentioned would make it amazing. Any money raised through the gate, merchandise etc once costs are covered could be donated to a Charity of Woodys choice, the hospice maybe.

I'd definetely be there and think quite a few thousand others would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    I think we all need to measure our tributes to Richard Wood because at this rate people will be demanding dual carriageways should be renamed in his name.Fantastic player,great memories and 9 years within the modern day is a long time at one club.Naming stands is ridiculous.....you only have 4,unless you a decagon stadium,which might give you a bit more leeway!
    PS Don't get me started about 'servants' regarding footballers.It's a ridiculous cliche that has been attributed to footballers earning 300k per week.I don't know many 'servants' on that!
    Excellent post Jimmy.

The idea of a statue is vulgar. If we do erect these monstrosities around the stadium, there are probably 50 ex Millers more deserving.

Wood has limited ability and has made a decent career despite this.

Let's keep this in perspective and find a classy and understated way of honouring his hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Excellent post Jimmy.

The idea of a statue is vulgar. If we do erect these monstrosities around the stadium, there are probably 50 ex Millers more deserving.

Wood has limited ability and has made a decent career despite this.

Let's keep this in perspective and find a classy and understated way of honouring his hard work.
    Just add him to the mural on the West Stand side ( if he isn’t already there)

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Testimonials used to be a reward for 10 years service but moreso it was about giving a player a few quid as back in the day they obviously earned nothing like players do today. The money the player got was often used to set up a business, often a pub lol. Any professional footballer at any level today shouldn't need the money if they've played professional football for 10 consecutive years, maybe league 2 level perhaps but definitely no higher.

In terms of Woody, a game for us to be able to show our gratitude and recognition towards him would be brilliant, include the players Scum and some others have mentioned would make it amazing. Any money raised through the gate, merchandise etc once costs are covered could be donated to a Charity of Woodys choice, the hospice maybe.

I'd definetely be there and think quite a few thousand others would be too.
    Good post mate.

There is precedent for this. Niall Quinn, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard all donated over a million each from their testimonials.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast