+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Taylor a man on a mission

Matty Taylor a man on a mission

Heard his comments today on Radio Sheffield where he quoted players in his current team are simply not good enough for the Championship.

To me he sounds like a no nonsense Manager, akin to Steve Evans without the vitriol attitude Evo had.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I loved Warney for what he gave me as a fan but Taylor for me takes no prisoners and good luck to him in being successful.

It’s a bold statement to stay some are simply not good enough….. over to you Matt and good luck.

TS being a no nonsense owner totally supports him. Injuries aside last season, Matt was sometimes guilty of poor subs and hopefully he may well learn from that.

Good luck to TS, Matty and his new team!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Heard his comments today on Radio Sheffield where he quoted players in his current team are simply not good enough for the Championship.

To me he sounds like a no nonsense Manager, akin to Steve Evans without the vitriol attitude Evo had.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I loved Warney for what he gave me as a fan but Taylor for me takes no prisoners and good luck to him in being successful.

It’s a bold statement to stay some are simply not good enough….. over to you Matt and good luck.

TS being a no nonsense owner totally supports him. Injuries aside last season, Matt was sometimes guilty of poor subs and hopefully he may well learn from that.

Major step up in quality between the C’ship and L1. Some L1 players can develop and adapt quickly but it becomes painfully clear when a player cannot - energy and running can only get you so far in this league

Interesting perspective from Taylor. A bunch of players that are assembled on a league 1 budget but forged together to play consistently above themselves, as a unit, and at a cost of injuries, to succeed in staying in the championship.

Might there be a risk in then calling out those assembled players, who had the heart to give their all to succeed to then say publicly that they are not good enough for the championship? Technically, I couldn't agree more, but success in staying up isn't just about technique as we showed.

I like what I've seen from Taylor but this worries me. Why say it at all? Why not just go about your business on trying to improve the squad?

The implication is that he can assemble a bunch of players who are technically good enough to succeed at this level without the huge injury inducing effort. But where are these players going to come from? I'm assuming the budget won't change that much, so I was always thinking that a club with our budget will always be reliant on more than great technique, cos those players cosy way more than we can afford to pay and will be coveted by much bigger clubs.

Worrying statement for me (if quoted correctly). But hope he can assemble such a team, I really do.

Well said Brin, not sure how much we can do about it with our available budget?

There's going to be a clear out Brin.
    You know it - I know it & most other fans know it.
    Some contracted players will have to be moved on -( that's if MT gets his way.)
    I'm expecting a minimum of 8 players leaving - one person on here in particular may well be disappointed in the next 10 days.- plenty to talk about when the list is released.
    Good luck to MT - a different approach - let's hope he gets his wish if more suitable Championship players become available..

Fed up of my feckin phone not keeps no my posts! Grr….

Get the feeling MT is ploughing on regardlessly with his plans and is expecting TS to follow suit. A risky and brave strategy to say the least and something warne would not have been brave enough to do. If TS backs him and it goes tits up MT is likely to quickly get the boot. But the real question is can TS deliver in which case MT may walk away. Interesting summer methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Interesting perspective from Taylor. A bunch of players that are assembled on a league 1 budget but forged together to play consistently above themselves, as a unit, and at a cost of injuries, to succeed in staying in the championship.

Might there be a risk in then calling out those assembled players, who had the heart to give their all to succeed to then say publicly that they are not good enough for the championship? Technically, I couldn't agree more, but success in staying up isn't just about technique as we showed.

I like what I've seen from Taylor but this worries me. Why say it at all? Why not just go about your business on trying to improve the squad?

The implication is that he can assemble a bunch of players who are technically good enough to succeed at this level without the huge injury inducing effort. But where are these players going to come from? I'm assuming the budget won't change that much, so I was always thinking that a club with our budget will always be reliant on more than great technique, cos those players cosy way more than we can afford to pay and will be coveted by much bigger clubs.

Worrying statement for me (if quoted correctly). But hope he can assemble such a team, I really do.
    100%.

We will be signing the following players.... All of which are what we've been getting anyway.

30+ Freebies with champ experience
    Kids from Premier / Good champ clubs on loan
    Punts from Lower leagues.

Hes also hung himself, because if we're bottom 5 or god forbid bottom 3 next season then he will have failed in terms of his own recruitment.

I get saying you want to do something different, but if I was Olly or Jamie id be fuming.

It will be interesting to see the retained list and who MT let's go, and maybe, with his comments, he is challenging players to prove they are good enough for the championship. Unlike PW I think MT would have no problem bringing a player here who has a reputation of being difficult to manage if he thought he could do a job for us so that in itself opens up a new window for players.
    The loan players are also very important to us but based on the players MT brought in in January it will be interesting to see who he gets in pre season, so we shall see how much TS backs him. UTM

He's right and that's good to hear he sounds like he's gonna be ruthless in his decisions which is what you want in a manager really. The previous manager kept on the likes of Mattock and Wood far too long in championship despite never been good enough same with players like Shaun Macdonald and Potter ect.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast