+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legends One and All

Legends One and All

Tomorrow night BBC Scotland... Aberdeen ‘83: Once in a Lifetime. Was just remembering 40 years ago tonight I was onboard the MV St Clair on my way to Gothenburg. 10 years ago some members of this board attended a celebration at the Pittodrie Bar where the final was shown. I did pop in but not knowing who anyone was had a couple o pints and left. Any of you guys there ? Anyone at Gothenburg for that matter ?
    Suppose I can count masel lucky being an active Dandies fan through this period. But Dandies one and all this history belongs to us all. Legends one and all and very special thought for Neale Cooper a lovely Man and a phuckin crackin fitba player,

I was on the St Clair with you. A pre-****, not really understanding the magnitude of what was going on and who we were up against, or realising how unthinkable it was that we were there at all. To me we were a team that just won. Why would playing Bayern then Real be different. They were just a different opposition to beat.

We were lucky to be around then. When I sat through the sh*t of the 90s and 00s (and the rest) I felt (feel) a really appreciation for being around in the 80s.

I was in Goteburg, first time I flew, first time I trod soil beyond the UK.
    I will steal the words of Wordsworth, oft quoted by 57V -

"Bliss it was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven".

God bless them one and all, those that remain with us and those that have been called away in those ensuing forty years.

I love you all.

First time I had ever flown ,remember everyone stamping their feet singing here we go and a whip round for the "driver" ��
    we stayed in hotel outside the city and rather than the wild celebrations it was a quiet couple of pints before bed .I think the enormity of it made us reflective of what had been achieved and sort of superceded the way I thought I would act should we actually win.
    Made up for it after the scottish cup mind you ��
    I have said it here before but biggest thing for me was sharing it with my dad and that after all his years supporting the team he got Gothenburg.

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    First time I had ever flown ,remember everyone stamping their feet singing here we go and a whip round for the "driver" ��
    we stayed in hotel outside the city and rather than the wild celebrations it was a quiet couple of pints before bed .I think the enormity of it made us reflective of what had been achieved and sort of superceded the way I thought I would act should we actually win.
    Made up for it after the scottish cup mind you ��
    I have said it here before but biggest thing for me was sharing it with my dad and that after all his years supporting the team he got Gothenburg.
    Like.

I traveled there by Bus (Bell Travel if memory serves me right) down to Dover over to Calais then onward to Hamburg for an overnighter. What a night oot that was for an 18 year old. Up to Kiel for the over night ferry to Gothenburg another great night. Tanned any vending machine we could find on our way through Germany as our 5p pieces worked a treat in place of the mark in a lot of cases. £20 of worth weighed quite a bit.
    Amazing party after the game on the ferry this time back to Fredrickshaven.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Tomorrow night BBC Scotland... Aberdeen ‘83: Once in a Lifetime. Was just remembering 40 years ago tonight I was onboard the MV St Clair on my way to Gothenburg. 10 years ago some members of this board attended a celebration at the Pittodrie Bar where the final was shown. I did pop in but not knowing who anyone was had a couple o pints and left. Any of you guys there ? Anyone at Gothenburg for that matter ?
    Suppose I can count masel lucky being an active Dandies fan through this period. But Dandies one and all this history belongs to us all. Legends one and all and very special thought for Neale Cooper a lovely Man and a phuckin crackin fitba player,

That was a good night out at the Pittodrie Bar.
    Mostly organised on this site.

I don't know if I'm more surprised that it's been 40 years since I was in Gothenburg or 10 bloody years since that night out.

Anyway I was 24 years old that fateful night.

Old enough to have seen good and bad Aberdeen teams.
    Certainly old enough to take in the enormity of what was happening.

I had managed to talk my father into coming with us and remember looking at him during extra time and thinking his heart wasn't going to hold out.

It did though, despite his extreme old age ( he must have been 47)

We flew over but were staying on a boat that happened to be in harbour at the time.

A bit of a different night for the elderly passengers who were halfway through some cruise.

It was bedlam, the happiest night I have ever known.

I woke up in the morning having strapped myself into my bunk despite the ship never leaving harbour.

I was 9 and only remember watching the game with my ma. Ordinarily she didn't watch fitba, but I think everyone in Aberdeen watched it that night.

I though it was normal to be in cup finals and to win trophies back then, whether in Scotland or Europe.

My memories of the day was my Ma buying me a new hat and scarf to put on to watch the game.

Going to school the next day and seeing a sea of red in the playground was amazing.

I also remember being one of the very few kids still at school in the afternoon, when all others were away for the bus parade.

Can’t rival you guys as I wasn’t there. I watched it in a green fake leather reclining chair from Maitlands of Turriff. Then I went to bed and primary school next morning where no doubt we relived every moment, though maybe not the diving header, given the asphalt.

A few years later I followed the omens and asked out this quine I fancied on the anniversary. We’re still together. So I never forget our anniversary.

Stand Free!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast