+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Legends One and All

Who is the Minister?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    My story was one of financial struggle. Having bought a house, I remember having no spare money but crawling to the Mrs with tales of "it might be a once in a lifetime". It was and is likely stay that way. I found a plane, for Moray Firth fishers. Out in the morning of the game. Back that night to Glasgow Airport (Aberdeen being closed at night) Bus home in time for the return to Pittodrie. Ran out of money as a barsteward gave a Norwegian note in change. Nowhere would accept it. So no drink after game to celebrate. Touched the trophy as Jock Stein came out with it after the game. Well worth all the expense and hassle.
    To add:

When we arrived into Glasgow Airport in the very early hours, the fans singing and cheering, to let the weegies know how well our team had done, the staff at the airport surprised us all by clapping us all the way through the airport. Not my usual reception in those parts.

Come on ewe redz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    Who is the Minister?
    A guy called Duncan (first name) school mate of mine, as 57V said a Stoney loon......albeit I'll need to put him straight when next we meet on the fact that the St Tropez of the North-East is, in fact, the County Town of Kincardineshire.
    It is not, has never been and never will be in Aberdeenshire.
    Stick your boundary changes up yer @rse.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    A guy called Duncan (first name) school mate of mine, as 57V said a Stoney loon......albeit I'll need to put him straight when next we meet on the fact that the St Tropez of the North-East is, in fact, the County Town of Kincardineshire.
    It is not, has never been and never will be in Aberdeenshire.
    Stick your boundary changes up yer @rse.
    The “team sheet” from the event gives the bible-thumper’s ID as “Reverend Duncan Eddie”.

I canna imagine being at school with a future parson. My fellow alumni of Keith Grammar School were fine examples of radges, rapscallions, and ne’er-do-wells. The alumnae though, were delightful creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    The “team sheet” from the event gives the bible-thumper’s ID as “Reverend Duncan Eddie”.

I canna imagine being at school with a future parson. My fellow alumni of Keith Grammar School were fine examples of radges, rapscallions, and ne’er-do-wells. The alumnae though, were delightful creatures.
    It is a bit of a strange one bearing in mind the social circles in which I normally perambulate.
    We have occasional school year re-unions (next one scheduled for 2nd Sept this year).
    I'll hopefully stumble into a social interaction with Duncan (massive, and I mean massive Dylan fan) at some point prior.
    One previous such night out was at The Skids' gig in The Lemon Tree.
    Another school friend (whose 60th birthday party I'm attending in Brighton a week tomorrow) has forged a friendship with Richard Jobson, who got us into the soundcheck, on the guest list and joined us for a pre-gig curry.

Jobbers made reference to "Aberdeen's only punk minister" during the gig and name checked him once more in a media interview subsequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    Aye it was only prosperous for those in the oil or fishing but for the vast majority of everyone else we were being shafted by Thatcher.
    Just watched the ceremony thing on Red TV. A very good watch if you want your lump in your throat again. Well done the Dons for putting this out. I have to say a minister came on about half way through,???? Anyway it's worth a watch
    You have to remember that although held at Pittodrie this was not a football event as such it was the conferring of the freedom of the city with its origins back in the 1200's and I think was why there was a religious aspect.
    It was a lovely occasion but I do wonder how many of the dignitaries and those going to the reception will actually be at the game today Still as long as the team and Archie are there that will do me

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Wow! Amazin stories guys ... smiles, chuckles, and even the odd wee tear readin' through.

My story o' that night is by contrast, borin' ... but Ah'm tellin it onywye.

From 1978 my time was split between my first full time job and my new love ... punk rock.... and being a 9-5er, Weekends were my love life ... but having been a regular at Pittodrie, first team and reserve matches for a solid 7 to 8 years, of course, I followed results .... and got to the occasional game.... til 1981 ... unemployed, skint

A weekend of punk rock chums and music ... whether in a wee venue or some buggers house, oft-times my own, was ... well affordable, and rewarding as well .... then came the shaggin'! .... and bein unemployed, the weekends .. and the shaggin' ... on top o' the skintness ... ruled oot attendin the fitba.

But, Ah still followed the results ... shouted 'fkn yass' if we gubbed the huns ...or ony ither c*nt for that matter ... and uttered unplanned string of half words and curses if we lost .... which, thankfully, was not often.

By 1983, I was absorbed in Community Theatre ... and political street theatre, also, reinvigorating my punk band which had 'lapsed' to the point of comatose ... 6 months after being on a compilation album which spent 2 weeks on top of the 'Sounds' punk chart ... ahead of UK Subs Live 'Crash Course' album.

Following the Dons had dropped down my personal agenda.

One Tuesday night, as I was meeting with a street theatre cast, I got there and the radio was turned off .. as we were 2-1 down to Bayern fkn Munich ... no surprise? ...
    Anyway, we had work to do ... and work we did ... and when we were done, our host was 'urged' to stick the 'wireless' back on ...

Fkn hell!!! We won!!??! ... We fkn won!! Holy Fk! ... We won!

Canna remember where Ah was durin the semis, but the fact Ah didna see them live or highlights, or heard radio commentary, suggests Ah was heavily involved in either creative, political, musical or ***ual activity.

But the final? ...

If ever Ah should hae bunked aff school? ... Wed May 11 1983.

Ah'd enrolled in night classes in Electronics ... Unemployed for 2 years ... needin tae diversify ... skint as a front paw propelled, worm infested dog upon a barbed wire carpet.

As we went about our business of soldering together something simple, like a wee buzzer circuit, one of our 'classmates' had a fancy watch ... wi' a radio and earphone output ... wow! modrin technology!!

So we got a sparse, but personal commentary.

GOAL! Black! Yasss ... and we carry on soldering.

Pen... Madrid .. fck! ... 1-1 ... sh!te

.... Night class ends as the game goes tae extra time.

So ... hame on the bus .. tae ma girlfriends hoose in Sandilands.

Ah get there ... "Fit's the Aiberdeen result??? "

"Eh?"

Girlfriend's mither is listenin tae a ****in album by an auld Aiberdeen Band ca'd 'The Playboys' .... a fkn covers band ... girlfriend is playin some ****e like 'The Associates or Yazoo in her/oor bedroom ....

Ah ging back tae the livin' room ... the telly is on wi the fkn sound doon .... and aboot ten seconds efter Ah look at it ... a picture o' Wullie Miller flashes on ... holdin the fkn cup!

Ah skirled oot a big YASSSSS! .... in a fkn household completely oblivious tae fit the fk Ah wis skirln aboot

.... Ma girlfriend o' nearly 3 years - didna ken fit Ah was skirlin aboot.

We split up pretty soon efter!
    Great story but blatant disregard for the rules!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
    I'm sure I've asked this before, but d'ye mind " The Miscreants" ? Contemporaries of " The Enormous Snakes".....
    Indeed Ah do .... and Ah'm still chums wi Sid Ozalid

The banner at the Merkland end was superb.

A well done to all that were behind it (I don't mean the fans in the Merkie).

I hope you don’t mean the hun flag

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast