+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: O/T Effing Eurovision

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Fair enough.......what is it you expect?
    A bit of originality would do for a start not the same old dross. ITVs no better im a celeb Australia now I'm a celeb South Africa. They can t even be arsed to put on new contestants. The franchise has runs its course anyway.

Also stuff like the different bake offs all variations on a theme. You also get the Apprentice clones. The Gordon Ramsey one is virtually the same format as the Apprentice except he swears a bit more than Alan Sugar and same wannabe clueless dumplings taking part.

Are there no original programme producers or script writers out there?

The not going out programme with Lee Mack is hackneyed and the latest version is a piss poor version of Outnumbered which was very original at the time. There is only so many times you can reel out one liners Lee. Then he turns up on a chuffin quiz show trying to do the same thing...

So mellow dont get me started , Its not just the BBC the whole lot on TV is crap.Feel like putting a boot thru it most of the time.

Ocasionally you can get good stuff like like Happy Valley, This country or The Detectorists but more by accident than design.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-05-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    A bit of originality would do for a start not the same old dross. ITVs no better im a celeb Australia now I'm a celeb South Africa. They can t even be arsed to put on new contestants. The franchise has runs its course anyway.

Also stuff like the different bake offs all variations on a theme. You also get the Apprentice clones. The Gordon Ramsey one is virtually the same format as the Apprentice except he swears a bit more than Alan Sugar and same wannabe clueless dumplings taking part.

Are there no original programme producers or script writers out there?

The not going out programme with Lee Mack is hackneyed and the latest version is a piss poor version of Outnumbered which was very original at the time. There is only so many times you can reel out one liners Lee. Then he turns up on a chuffin quiz show trying to do the same thing...

So mellow dont get me started , Its not just the BBC the whole lot on TV is crap.Feel like putting a boot thru it most of the time.

Ocasionally you can get good stuff like like Happy Valley, This country or The Detectorists but more by accident than design.
    Pretty much agree with most of that to be honest and I think you've quite clearly illustrated that there's just too much repetitive or similar stuff out there but it's not exclusively a BBC problem.
    On the face of it, so many channels, so much choice but when you boil it all down, nah.
    I find myself watching TV less and less nowadays and what I do watch is mostly sport.

Found summat at last 10 bob poms. Very original and thought provoking.

A few years ago, I was involved in a company set up to create and develop new concepts for TV. We came up with some interesting ideas (For example...football fans always know best, so what happens when you put one in charge of a team for a season?) but it's really difficult to get anything commissioned. Had a very well known producer pitching stuff for us but it all came to nothing. Maybe we weren't ticking the right boxes or the ideas were crap!

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Found summat at last 10 bob poms. Very original and thought provoking.
    Yes it's good isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    A few years ago, I was involved in a company set up to create and develop new concepts for TV. We came up with some interesting ideas (For example...football fans always know best, so what happens when you put one in charge of a team for a season?) but it's really difficult to get anything commissioned. Had a very well known producer pitching stuff for us but it all came to nothing. Maybe we weren't ticking the right boxes or the ideas were crap!
    Box ticking is paramount nowadays.
    Even soap operas are obsessed with getting the "right" diversity of characters or covering subjects that most people probably won't encounter in their entire lifetime.
    It must be really difficult for companies to pitch original ideas nowadays and a lot of potentially good stuff probably never makes it past the demo stage.

I was quite disappointed that Alan Partridge didn't get his 'Monkey Tennis' idea over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Box ticking is paramount nowadays.
    Even soap operas are obsessed with getting the "right" diversity of characters or covering subjects that most people probably won't encounter in their entire lifetime.
    Might it be that they are just trying to market their product to the maximum number of viewers they can, in light that many of their viewers are from a variety of diverse backgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    I was quite disappointed that Alan Partridge didn't get his 'Monkey Tennis' idea over the line.
    Yeah,sounded like a winner to me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567