+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Leeds United - v - Newcastle ***Matchday Thread***

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    that's because the other reads them all
    He is “management” so probably just gets given the edited highlights of the scrap du Jour.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Or would have said it down the pub where people would have told them not to be so stupid.

I do think there is a world of difference between expressing an opinion about a player on a forum (within the bounds of humour and decency) and putting stuff out there on social media channels or saying it to his face.

I suspect a lot of people who make such threats would be incapable and too fearful to act on the threat having no keyboard to kind behind but it is a little symptomatic of today’s world that people often speak or type/send without exercising any degree of caution or thought to what they are saying.

They don’t seem to have too many role models in politics either setting the right example and some pundits (Gary Neville comes to mind) who seem to think they have the answer to things they know little or next to nothing about or just otherwise talk testicles.

Question sera sera.
    So many threaten from the safety of behind a keyboard nowadays.

There is more than just the keyboard warrior moniker.

Ones I've liked across the years are

Chairbourne Ranger and Screen Beret.

A play on the old Airbourne Ranger and Green Beret.

I was thinking about penalties. They are often much more about psychology than technique.

My “competitive” playing days have been over for a few years now (concussion issues, sadly), but I definitely remember all of those that I’ve taken or faced.

I saved the last one I faced in regular play, which was enough for my team to avoid relegation (the opposition needed to beat us: it finished 1-1).

My mindset in goal was that I was unlikely to be successful, but I always fancied my chances based on the body language of the taker and, even if I didn’t save it, I’d say that I went the right way more often than not.

I missed my last outfield penalty (over the bar - fecktard!), but it was in a game where we were three up and I figured high down the middle was the one place I’d rarely cover well if I were the goalkeeper. Annoys me to this day!

I can't remember if I ever got concussed perhaps it's due to the concussion

Heh, heh.

I got one two many knees to the head coming out diving at attackers’ feet and, when playing outfield, I made a point of nutting anything that moved. Occasionally the ball.

My point on the penalties was badly put.

The stresses are different for the taker and the goalkeeper.

One is expected to score and the other is expected to miss. Completely different mental approaches. I’m sure Totty will have something revealing and logical on this.

I think I saved a higher percentage of those I faced than I scored in those I took, which is weird as I always thought of myself as an accurate passer and distributor of the ball.

Anyway, what do I know? Eejit!

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    Heh, heh.

I got one two many knees to the head coming out diving at attackers’ feet and, when playing outfield, I made a point of nutting anything that moved. Occasionally the ball.

My point on the penalties was badly put.

The stresses are different for the taker and the goalkeeper.

One is expected to score and the other is expected to miss. Completely different mental approaches. I’m sure Totty will have something revealing and logical on this.

I think I saved a higher percentage of those I faced than I scored in those I took, which is weird as I always thought of myself as an accurate passer and distributor of the ball.

Anyway, what do I know? Eejit!
    The mind is where they put it when I saved them and try to do differently instead of knowing the keeper you are facing.

Agree a lot of it is in the head. I think Alan Shearer has previously said that he thinks Matt Le T was so good at penalties because he was so laid back and nothing bothered him on the pitch.

Used to love taking pens and free kicks even more where the keeper tried to out psych you.
    At lower levels the ball banged down the middle tended to be less successful as often the keeper was too bad, slow or un athletic to move.

Not sure how much they practice pens at Leeds these days but practice definitely worked for most of the top players. Shearer would grab the back up goalie every session at the end of practice and tell him where he was going to hit just to make it harder so by match day he would be full of confidence.

We have had some decent pen takers down the years - always used to like watching Strachan who mixed it up a lot and liked the odd cheeky chip down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by fredlufc74 View Post
    So many threaten from the safety of behind a keyboard nowadays.

There is more than just the keyboard warrior moniker.

Ones I've liked across the years are

Chairbourne Ranger and Screen Beret.

A play on the old Airbourne Ranger and Green Beret.
    Chairbourne Ranger is very good not heard that one before 😎

Whisky has concussed me a few times , then when I come round I can't remember a thing and some tw@ts drunk all my Whisky!

Terrible thing that concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I was thinking about penalties. They are often much more about psychology than technique.

My “competitive” playing days have been over for a few years now (concussion issues, sadly), but I definitely remember all of those that I’ve taken or faced.

I saved the last one I faced in regular play, which was enough for my team to avoid relegation (the opposition needed to beat us: it finished 1-1).

My mindset in goal was that I was unlikely to be successful, but I always fancied my chances based on the body language of the taker and, even if I didn’t save it, I’d say that I went the right way more often than not.

I missed my last outfield penalty (over the bar - fecktard!), but it was in a game where we were three up and I figured high down the middle was the one place I’d rarely cover well if I were the goalkeeper. Annoys me to this day!
    Analysis of penalty kicks has generated a large amount of academic literature even John Nash the Nobel Prize winning mathematician (also the schizophrenic subject of the 2001 film A Beautiful Mind) evaluated more penalty success was gained via neatly taken strikes into the corners of the net at shoulder height.

Interestingly I was reading TSB that in the Newcastle pre-game warm up shooting session for Bamford & Rodrigo, Bamf placed all his shots low centrally & direct at Robles whilst Rod slotted every one neatly to either side of Robles at differing heights.

Studies also found that the colour of the keepers shirt impacts the likelihood of their opponent scoring. The fewest goals was scored against goalkeepers who wore Red (54%) or Yellow (69%) with the two worst colours being Blue (72%) & Green (75%).

Regardless, as you said keepers mentally have nothing to lose as they're not expected to save a spot-kick so are more relaxed mentally than the penalty taker who is expected to score.

The bigger the occasion for required penalty taking success commonly effects the ability to think normally & breathe properly, a condition known as 'isomatic-anxiety' of which the body increases its respiration, heart rate & muscle tension. The extent to which these symptoms affect performance depending on how an 'individual player' perceives the situation at task.

Basically,
    1.As this pressure increases an athlete becomes sensitive to 'threat' which causes his attention to redirect to internal stimuli of worry about missing, followed by external stimuli of over focusing on the goalkeeper.
    2.Then, this'll cause the individual penalty taker to then self-focus on their own skill focus.

Subsequently all this increased 'conscious-attention' disrupts the automatic thought nature of a well learned & practiced skill causing cognitive & skill performance to deteriorate, aka the phenomenon of choking !

Studies have now also concluded that 'Keepers' whose natural side depends on whether they are right or left handed should favour it around 58% of the time.
    Analysis of thousands of real-life 'penalty kicks of footballers came remarkably close to the “John Nash equilibrium equation" as kickers chose their natural side 60% of the time & keepers 57% of the time.
    (These numbers excluded those who shoot down the centre, which happens in only about 10% of kicks.)

So yep, it's Defo a complex psychological process when taking penalties Org - oh, and the colour of the keepers shirt.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)