+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jim Goodwin rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    Ok, let's say USELESS HINGERS ON using analysis as the only means of measurement?
    Now that's definitely more like it

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    The ipad are fine but we can't rely on stats alone! Brighitti is a top shot stopper if you look at stats alone....but they don't tell you that he stops a shot and immediately palms it in front of himself rather than holds onto it.
    Friend of a friend of a taxi drivers hairdresser told me that his brother who is a scout for a La Liga side had identified a top talent in a lower league. His His Arabdownsouth iPad stats were fantastic, off the page.
    Scout watched him, fantastic on the pitch although sent off in 1/3
    But said person got his son to follow the young boy for 3 days and nights and let's just say the laddie was not getting signed. Ever.
    iPad - yes, Due diligence- no chance

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    Levitt disappeared during a few important games under Fox. Not sure why, could be several reasons. Maybe asked to play through injury. Looked like he was frightened to tackle anyone. If JG could resurrect the original version, the player we know he can be, he's a great player. My question would be is he suited to the battles we're going to face in the Championship? And would he fancy second tier Scottish football, not so sure he would.
    If he wants to stay he needs to sign a one year extension imo
    Could affect his international career playing championship football though Wales have some lower league players in their squad though.He would be a standout for us in that league after some of the passes he made on Sunday. Saying that given his wage (?) it might be better off to sell him on now which might allow us to bring in another two players.. Wouldn’t sell him to a Scottish team though.

Quote Originally Posted by southwestarab View Post
    Could affect his international career playing championship football though Wales have some lower league players in their squad though.He would be a standout for us in that league after some of the passes he made on Sunday. Saying that given his wage (?) it might be better off to sell him on now which might allow us to bring in another two players.. Wouldn’t sell him to a Scottish team though.
    Agree with this tbh and I suspect JG will agree as well. He'll want battlers who will give blood and never hide, can't be certain that DL fits that

Data itself is not necessarily something we should be scared of. Just look at Brighton. They are an entirely data driven set up. Identify players based on data, map data to their current team and performances, and use that all to recruit. Has worked incredibly well for them. For us, I worry that we are not actually using the data we collect properly and aren't asking the correct questions of it.

Similar to what others have said before, not all we have is bad. Just need to work out how best to use it. That includes data, other off pitch side things and the academy. Wouldn't want our desire for change to negatively impact on anything that is actually or potentially good for us

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Data itself is not necessarily something we should be scared of. Just look at Brighton. They are an entirely data driven set up. Identify players based on data, map data to their current team and performances, and use that all to recruit. Has worked incredibly well for them. For us, I worry that we are not actually using the data we collect properly and aren't asking the correct questions of it.

Similar to what others have said before, not all we have is bad. Just need to work out how best to use it. That includes data, other off pitch side things and the academy. Wouldn't want our desire for change to negatively impact on anything that is actually or potentially good for us
    I'd agree. I'm not against iPad data or data gleaned from scouting websites etc. But it needs to be used in tandem with judgement made from other areas, most often human observation.

My comment earlier was more that under Asghar we got so far up our own ar5es trying to follow a big club template we couldn't see the wood for the trees.

There's so many things that data gathering can't tell you, like how loyal is a player when the chips are down, how often does he raise his game at 0-1, etc
    Also a really good coach may choose player 2 who's stats are poorer than player 1 because player 2 fits better into the overall way he wants the team to play. Jim McLean for example did this instinctively long before data gathering was available.
    So, yea to ipads but get the recruitment team tae fk 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post

On this, my business partner has a masters in Sports Science and worked for an olympic committee in player performance. We approached the club about supporting innovation and new data perspectives and lets just say the response was slim to none.

I dont know how they do the data analysis at Tannadice but it is wierd they werent interested in talking at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    From United:

Following the conclusion of the 2022/23 season, the club can provide a squad update, with six players set to depart.

Ryan Edwards, Peter Pawlett, Ian Harkes and Liam Smith will all leave Dundee United this summer as their contracts end.

Loanees Jamie McGrath and Loick Ayina will return to their parent clubs, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town.
    Wonderful that will never have to endure again Pawlett and Harkes in a United jersey, the most ineffective midfield duo in living memory.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Wonderful that will never have to endure again Pawlett and Harkes in a United jersey, the most ineffective midfield duo in living memory.
    How easily you've forgotten Rabitch and Barton

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    How easily you've forgotten Rabitch and Barton
    I haven't forgotten these 2. Fortunately they were quickly found out and punted at first window. We had Harkes and Pawlett for over 3 years.

Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)