+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jim Goodwin rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    ...I honestly don't think our squad was that bad, certainly not worse than Kilmarnock or Ross County to the degree that our results against them suggests.
    No way!

The league table doesnae lie. And the results against County and Killie just underline that fact.

You don't think the squad was 'that bad' eh?

Not one decent keeper at the club! Not one goal-scoring forward at the club. Just the one winger at the club - who was very limited and scored once in a blue moon.

Defenders that can't defend, midfielders - none of which could beat a man, pick out a pass or even just get themselves in the right position FFS!

Your not the only one that thought our squad was 'not that bad'. I couldn't believe how many times I read posters claiming that last season. Unfathomable!

I've been watching United since the 60s. Trust me, the so-called squad we had last year was very, very far away from being 'no bad'.

So let's wake up and smell the coffee guys. With the notable exceptions of Behich and Fletcher, what we had last year was a bunch of talentless, fearful individuals that - collectively - were lambs to the slaughter. There is no mitigation. Not anywhere in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    No way!

The league table doesnae lie. And the results against County and Killie just underline that fact.

Not one decent keeper at the club! Not one goal-scoring forward at the club. Just the one winger at the club - who was very limited and scored once in a blue moon.

Defenders that can't defend, midfielders - none of which could beat a man, pick out a pass or even just get themselves in the right position FFS!

Your not the only one that thought our squad was 'not that bad'. I couldn't believe how many times I read posters claiming that last season. Unfathomable!

I've been watching United since the 60s. Trust me, the so-called squad we had last year was very, very far away from being 'no bad'.

So let's wake up and smell the coffee guys. With the notable exceptions of Behich and Fletcher, what we had last year was a bunch of talentless, fearful individuals that - collectively - were lambs to the slaughter. There is no mitigation. Not anywhere in the real world.
    I concur

No way!

Well put bud.

I like what cyber has said but I kind of get what some folk are saying about the squad. Even with just one alteration I don't think we'd have gone down; the keeper. Add to that a defensive midfielder and I think we'd have had a decent season.

All speculation of course but I still believe we have some decent players in this squad, even now.

No way!

Yes, I agree the league table doesn't lie and I know that the results against Ross County and Kilmarnock (and St Johnstone to an extent) ultimately got us what we deserved - you're absolutely right. I'm not trying to say that we were unlucky, what I'm saying is, if that squad of players had given their all for the whole season, then we would have been better than the two clubs who ultimately finished tenth and eleventh. The grit and determination that was shown in the wins v Hibs, Motherwell and Livi was blatantly not present in any game after that. I just don't feel that the players tried as hard as they should have for the whole season - there were large spells across the season where the effort just wasn't evident.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I like what cyber has said but I kind of get what some folk are saying about the squad. Even with just one alteration I don't think we'd have gone down; the keeper. Add to that a defensive midfielder and I think we'd have had a decent season.

All speculation of course but I still believe we have some decent players in this squad, even now.
    I don't agree with that - I think our problems run much deeper than just a lack of quality. I think there has been a problem with attitude from too many players and obvious signs of unrest throughout the season, as I mentioned earlier with the players locking the manager out of the dressing room. Perhaps the keeper was the reason for the players being unhappy - all I know is I've never seen such an unprofessional collection of players at one club before.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    Yes, I agree the league table doesn't lie and I know that the results against Ross County and Kilmarnock (and St Johnstone to an extent) ultimately got us what we deserved - you're absolutely right. I'm not trying to say that we were unlucky, what I'm saying is, if that squad of players had given their all for the whole season, then we would have been better than the two clubs who ultimately finished tenth and eleventh. The grit and determination that was shown in the wins v Hibs, Motherwell and Livi was blatantly not present in any game after that. I just don't feel that the players tried as hard as they should have for the whole season - there were large spells across the season where the effort just wasn't evident.
    If the players didn’t give their all as most people suggest where the three performances in the wins come from.
    Not criticising what you’ve said just interested in your opinion on why.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post

You are right to speculate though. Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livi games right off the top of my head where i saw that keeper making howlers that cost us points, but thats still bottom 6, but we will never know if a better keeper could have instilled more confidence in those in front of him.

Less speculative is the evidence that Motherwell provide in having Butcher in their team with timely managerial change, and if that was at CDM with us, i think he with a different keeper makes enough of a difference to us that keeps us top 6.

I get the points made by still comes back to the keeper killing confidence or making things much more difficult, we were handicapped as a team having the worst keeper across not only the Prem but probably the championship too, its a very important position, you'll get no where with a crap keeper and it is the main reason we fell away or didn't survive over the season despite the being flaws on the team, not any more flawed than a few other teams minus that glaring one

Keith Watson released by Ross County.., worth a season in the Championship.?

Page 38 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)