+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 📝Slocombe Signs

It's been evident that Sam has been a model professional throughout his time at the club. Was fully invested in the play off penalties scenario and even when loan keepers were keeping him out (Patto) he was still happy to play his part as a mentor when needed to the younger players.

Very clear we are after a younger first team starter and will provide excellent support in that respect. Three keepers with himself, Brookes and a newbie is spot on considering we've got 3 cup competitions next season as well as the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    It's been evident that Sam has been a model professional throughout his time at the club. Was fully invested in the play off penalties scenario and even when loan keepers were keeping him out (Patto) he was still happy to play his part as a mentor when needed to the younger players.

Very clear we are after a younger first team starter and will provide excellent support in that respect. Three keepers with himself, Brookes and a newbie is spot on considering we've got 3 cup competitions next season as well as the league.
    I think we deffo need 2 first team keepers and if Sloco is one of those, I ain't really got a problem with that.

It became clear last season that he wasn't a fan of rolling the ball out to a defender as in 'playing out from the back', nor am I still, but he's been learning wheras I don't have to - he's 34 and I'm a wee bit older than that(!) If a player that age can learn and adapt, and it looks like he has, then he deserves a new contract.

'Slocombe, Slowcombe, give us a wave, give us a wave, give us a wave...' he rarely does though.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I think we deffo need 2 first team keepers and if Sloco is one of those, I ain't really got a problem with that.
    I'm perfectly happy with that. At least we shall have two experienced keepers for once.

This looks like the best of all worlds - two experienced keepers and an up and coming youngster. Not many League 2 sides will have that

Slocombe has done well for Notts for several years now, particularly bearing in mind that he’s had to adjust to being an Ederson style outfield player as well as stopping shots and catching crosses. I’m happy to see he’s staying with Notts.

I’m also impressed by the fact that there’s a long term plan in place for this position. Presumably this also applies to other positions. It’s not something you’d readily have associated with Notts County in the past.

Reading that statement, my guess is that Slocombe has agreed to sign knowing he's likely to be second choice. Because we can now have 7 subs he'll be on the bench at worst, so still fully involved with the squad. That means Brooks is likely to go out on loan, maybe with a recall clause in case of injury.

Glad to see him sign, good keeper and should push for a starting place and be good to have on the bench.
    Plus him Rawlo and Jim care about the club and will keep the other players on their toes.

Once again an excellent piece of news and also a great statement from the club as well.

A couple of comments questioning whether it is the right thing to do, but let's remember a 34 year old goalkeeper like any 30+ footballer knows that they are at a point in their career where things change and they have to be managed differently as they get older. A good professional knows this and accepts it. That does not mean that they can't do a job or still be useful in a team, far from it. Their wealth of knowledge and experience is worth their wages alone. Especially in league football.

That's where people should look at the bigger picture when they are quick to write of the likes of Slocombe, Rawlinson and JOB. They have been loyal servants to the club and have been there all throughout our time in the National League. It's clear they all care. What they bring to the dressing room and team can't be brought as they have EFL experience. They are role models and mentors to the younger squad members. Also if they want to move into coaching the next two years can become the beginning of a transition for them.

Team spirit and culture is very difficult to create. If you've got a good dressing room with the right spirit and culture it can pay dividends and give you that extra edge. We do not see inside the dressing room, albeit a few clips from Wembley which was good insight.

Trust the Radar, trust LW.

I'm happy that he's signed too his saves 5 or 6 in the semi help get us to Wembley so it's good to see him willing to fight for a place whoever they bring in for first choice. Any hints who that might be?

Great to have Sam on board for another two years. I doubt we will see much of him in league games, injuries permitting, but will be a more than capable back up to come in for the extra games we will have to play next season, or as injury cover. Every successful club needs experienced model pro's like SS, CR, AC, RB and JOB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast