+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Macca to Leicester?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It’s a good point about the Nolan playoff season and the question we could ask is whether this team is better or not than that one? The style of football is certainly a lot different but what it was is effective at that time.

For years people used to say that you couldn’t progress in the lower leagues or even non league playing “pretty” football without the physicality that those leagues demanded. The Cowleys at Lincoln were probably the last to adopt the traditional lower league style and do it well. It brought them success as a result.

I think the culture is changing in this country and we are starting to appreciate good football and also it is being proven that if you can play a good style of football in the lower leagues then it can be successful.

Doncaster at one point were referred to as the lower league Arsenal when they rose up to the championship.

I don’t expect us to turn up to league two and be in the top three. It would be foolish, arrogant and disrespectful to the league we are going into. There will be tougher challenges ahead but based on Stockport I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think depending on who stays and who comes in that a top ten finish would be out of reach.
    Our current side would demolish that Nolan side. One reason we had that fantastic run was Yates ability to put his head in stupid places and buy red cards. Look at how many teams had players sent off against us early that season!

The only player I'd take from that side would be Shola Ameobi (as then, obviously not now!) and maybe Grant

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

It's way too early for predictions, but I suspect we'll have a shaky start as we acclimatise to the new level. We might even have to adjust our style when we realise that decent teams can take advantage of our high line. But we'll eventually pick up some momentum and finish top half.
    More than likely along these lines^^^

A season of consolidation in L2 will do us no harm at all, if memory serves, it took Luton 4 years to get out.

It's way too early for predictions, but I suspect we'll have a shaky start as we acclimatise to the new level. We might even have to adjust our style when we realise that decent teams can take advantage of our high line. But we'll eventually pick up some momentum and finish top half.

It all depends on who comes and goes over the summer though.
    I would be happy with that scenario

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I would be happy with that scenario
    Definitely, me too. Steady progress year on year is what we need to aim for. Eventually that strategy pays off. If we keep doing what we're doing, eventually we'll be challenging for promotion to L1, whether it's next year or in three years. No more boom and busts.

Definitely, me too. Steady progress year on year is what we need to aim for. Eventually that strategy pays off. If we keep doing what we're doing, eventually we'll be challenging for promotion to L1, whether it's next year or in three years. No more boom and busts.
    Absolutely. What concerns me is some fans patience. Even towards the end of last season there were still sections of fans moaning and complaining about “getting the ball in the box” or “get it forward” where I sit and not understanding how we play and what we are about. It’s a high line with pressing and possession and we probe the opposition in and around their area looking for gaps and that killer pass.

This team and manager have lots of credit in the bank and have earned it more than any other team. So if we do find it tougher to start with or even if it takes a season or two or even longer then so be it. Steady progress finishing higher each season.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Absolutely. What concerns me is some fans patience. Even towards the end of last season there were still sections of fans moaning and complaining about “getting the ball in the box” or “get it forward” where I sit and not understanding how we play and what we are about. It’s a high line with pressing and possession and we probe the opposition in and around their area looking for gaps and that killer pass.

This team and manager have lots of credit in the bank and have earned it more than any other team. So if we do find it tougher to start with or even if it takes a season or two or even longer then so be it. Steady progress finishing higher each season.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about patience. Notts fans have always been quick to start moaning, and I think four years in the NL where we expected to win pretty much every game has changed our mindset a bit. We'll have to get used to much tougher opponents and more draws and losses.

"Slow but steady, wins the race". Totally agree we want/need stability, not boom, bust and false promises.

I believe we have progressed as a club year on year, regardless of the league position in the NL showing 3rd, followed by 5th and 5th then 2nd. I believe we will continue to as long as the owners/head coach combo is maintained.

I thought there was pretty much a consensus on here that, assuming we have an average-to-good off season on retention and recruitment, we'd be challenging for the last play-off spot.

If we get things right, there are only a half-dozen teams we might not be able to top yet.

We're rightly worried because we could be losing 2 of our top 4 players (or 3 of top 8). But we should be very excited about what the radar is lining up. The recruitment team is going from strength to strength.

Burgess, Chilvers, Spicer and co are not coming this time (what happened after our last promotion)

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I thought there was pretty much a consensus on here that, assuming we have an average-to-good off season on retention and recruitment, we'd be challenging for the last play-off spot.

If we get things right, there are only a half-dozen teams we might not be able to top yet.

We're rightly worried because we could be losing 2 of our top 4 players (or 3 of top 8). But we should be very excited about what the radar is lining up. The recruitment team is going from strength to strength.

Burgess, Chilvers, Spicer and co are not coming this time (what happened after our last promotion)
    Good Lord, reading those names again sends chilvers down my spine.

Thoughts of a "neutral".

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast