+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023-24 Aberdeen European Football Thread

I've always used it.

I'm unlikely to have been influenced by yankee speak, although I accept that lots of old english words have been preserved there.

I'm surprised that anyone would think that the use of it is unusual but then I've never thought about it.

I use it.
    "I've gotten into the parking lot. Now I've gotten a soda."

I can't remember ever saying gotten

I think I would always say “I’ve gotten used to…”

It’s the modern use of “myself” rather than “me” I struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post

Interesting, it's more common amongst non millennials (assumption you folks aren't whipper snappers) than I had imagined. It kind of makes sense - take the past participle of forgot as a prime example - but it is only recently I have heard it from non-americans, and then only from those lucky enough to be 30 or younger.

I don't think would would ever have gotten away with it at a school!

Only to be used if you are also the subject of the sentence.

What I can't abide is how people use, for example, 'Jimmy and I' when it should be 'me'. There seems to be a common belief that it is more polite to say I than me. But when you and said other party are the object of the sentence then it is always, without question, me - 'The Prince of Wales was frequented by Jimmy and me for much of the 1990s' or 'Jimmy and I frequented the Prince of Wales for much of the 1990s'. Simple difference between subject and object pronouns.

Anyway, Euro spots and Scottish Cup final. Yep, hoping for a Caley loss (rather than a Celtic win). My father-in-law (much to my disgust but I guess it could be worse) is a Caley fan. For today only, f**k him.

Quote Originally Posted by WhenTattieFlooredChas View Post
    Only to be used if you are also the subject of the sentence.

What I can't abide is how people use, for example, 'Jimmy and I' when it should be 'me'. There seems to be a common belief that it is more polite to say I than me. But when you and said other party are the object of the sentence then it is always, without question, me - 'The Prince of Wales was frequented by Jimmy and me for much of the 1990s' or 'Jimmy and I frequented the Prince of Wales for much of the 1990s'. Simple difference between subject and object pronouns.
    Agree totally, but even worse, for me, is when folk say 'Me and Jimmy frequented...'

Bill Bryson had a good book about the language and American/British usage, really highlighted how some of the things we snobbishly disdain from over the pond actually originated here and, having fallen out of usage, are being imported again from the yanks.
    Last edited by krakowdon; 03-06-2023 at 04:20 PM. Reason: to correct numerous grammatical, punctuation and spelling mistakes

Sellick haven't gotten a hold of this game so far.

Surely "I've been used to..."

Quote Originally Posted by swaddon2 View Post
    Sellick haven't gotten a hold of this game so far.
    Caley doing what they need to.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast