+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Morris to Stoke?

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    The academy is supposed to be the essential basis of the club so where is the success for the 1st team in recent years. Our standard of football has been dire. Why is my post rude and dismissive? There is nothing personal in my post. Management and coaches rightly are judged by the results of the 1st team and that is the way it should be for all professional clubs.
    Alex Morris has been involved in the Academy for some 20 years. He will have played a part in the development of every player in that period. Until the last 18 months he has not been directly involved in the first team. He was part of the supply chain underneath and will be seriously missed if he leaves.

Well for a fair number of seasons I have attended many under 23 games where Morris was the manager ad n my opinion the standard for that team was consistently poor. Negative and not competitive. So based on that and his period as our 1st team no he will not be missed. Out of curiosity over those years how many under23 games did you attend?

If its going to be a willy waving contest, I started watching the first team in 1965, and the youth team, as it then was, around about the early 1990s. Really feel that it's totally irrelevant though. Alex Morris has worked heart and soul for our club for some 20 years and will be missed. My games attended, and yours, with the greatest respect, bear no relevance to that whatsoever.

What world are you living in. Willy waving must be the most silly comment on this forum. Now ist is official I wish him the best of luck.

We will miss him, he's worked hard for us over nearly 30 years. For anyone to say we won't miss him, is just poor. P... poor.

Of course we wish him all the best. I wonder why the official site would not mention the club he was going to when it was all over the media anyway. He seems a very nice man.

My problem is that I cannot see or understand what 'coaches' do and again for me its the results that count. We were very good as we had some very good players on occasions and we were very bad ones when the opposite happens. ie the coach/manager had almost no affect. It was all about the players natural ability and it's not very good at the moment. ie we really could do away with the academy if we needed to..

It does seem to be just a job creation scheme that was not needed for a hundred years before and we had some very good players here at Crewe and at English international level way before we had the thousands of coaches we have now. I mean most coaches were useless players as well. Although David Platt was one of the best Crewe players and was the Captain of England and he had all the coaching badges there were but he never made it in that role at all. Question then is 'why not' if these coaches are supposed to make a difference and anyway trying to coach 5 year olds is ridiculous.. Alex Morris could not do much with the first team in fairness, despite all those years he spent here.

Best wishes to him regardless..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 19-06-2023 at 09:05 PM.

Perhaps we should go back to the pre-Dario "glory days" such as 1982-83

Quote Originally Posted by OzMozz View Post
    Perhaps we should go back to the pre-Dario "glory days" such as 1982-83
    I would much rather we didn't. It was mainly dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I would much rather we didn't. It was mainly dreadful.
    It's all subjective.

For me, there were good times and bad times but it was a brilliant era for me and why I went to away games far away.

In the Dario era it just wasn't the same. Maybe I never ever took to kids playing professional football. In the old days the football was passionate and good and ugly. Now its great pitches, fitter players, no passion, no nothing and very expensive. Everyone is just interested in money and wanting away to get more. They don't give a sod about how many millions some coach has spent on them..

I was a poor player at 15, not bad player at 18, a pretty good player at 20 and yet miles away from Professional standard and for people saying academies have produced better players, that is complete nonsense. I would never go to any PL matches free or to be honest any CAFC matches free either. Football, like golf for me is a non entity.

Most players in the National League are as good if not better than academy graduates..IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

I was a poor player at 15, not bad player at 18, a pretty good player at 20 and yet miles away from Professional standard ...
    With the 'right' coaching, perhaps you would have been a pretty good player at 15, professional standard at 18, and played for your country when you were 20.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast