+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: School sports day.

School sports day.

I’m sure we all remember these with horror or delight, my own were never covered in glory as I was too chubby at that time.

When my eldest started school in 89 I was at the peak of my fitness though and I came first in the dad’s race.

When my youngest was at the school 8 years later I was past my peak and trailed in about 4th from memory.

Back at the same school today to watch my 6 1/2 year old granddaughter come 1st and 2nd, she’s a very fit athletic kid…….thankfully no dad’s or grandad’s race for me to embarrass myself in.

At junior school best I remember doing was 4th in egg and spoon out of 8, the sack race I don’t wish to discuss!

Noticeable today though how they only let them run about 20 metres rather than the proper races we had to do.

Also, last place was also very loudly pronounced to be a “winner” ……no wonder we produce so many snowflakes.

It was character building having everyone laugh when you f o o k e d up and your mates all taking the p I s s.

I remember doing the 880 yards at school and took off like I was doing the 100 yards. Came in last but one who was a kid that weighed about 16st. I was so out of breath that a teacher thought i was gonna need oxygen and a hospital visit. Never got involved again in athletics of any sort. Just played football or tennis.

Reminds me running in the dad's race many moons ago. I lined up, looked at the opposition and deduced that I could beat these running backwards! I had the vicar next to me wearing his full regalia including a long flowing cloak. It was so easy that I thought that I would jog for the first half of the race and then up the tempo to flash past them before the winning line. It was all going well until I tripped over the vicars flowing cloak and went a r s e over t i t and looked up to see them all crossing the winning line. My boys were totally embarrassed and didn't speak to me for the rest of the day. Even my explanation that it must have been an act of god tripping over the vicars cloak didn't cut any ice with them. Never ran in one again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I remember doing the 880 yards at school and took off like I was doing the 100 yards. Came in last but one who was a kid that weighed about 16st. I was so out of breath that a teacher thought i was gonna need oxygen and a hospital visit. Never got involved again in athletics of any sort. Just played football or tennis.
    Similar tale for me doing the mile, went too soon on the last bend and literally ran out of steam 50 metres out! They were good for the fit lads but a nightmare for the in sporty types, thankfully I was somewhere in the middle and not bad at long jump so got away without too many pelters

Our Lisa has always won the Moms race, but this year because of woke rules it had be combined with the Dads and Lisa come 2nd to a young Dad

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Our Lisa has always won the Moms race, but this year because of woke rules it had be combined with the Dads and Lisa come 2nd to a young Dad
    That is a dismally depressing post.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)