+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News From The Non League

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    I hope they get up it's another local derby and good gates if we are still in this division hopefully we will have another promotion.
    On the subject of the National League do we still think it should be three up and down or have we changed our minds now it might mean us dropping through the trapdoor again.
    Under this ownership??????????????????? No chance!!! It should definitely be 3 up / 3 down regardless of the division we operate in.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Under this ownership??????????????????? No chance!!! It should definitely be 3 up / 3 down regardless of the division we operate in.
    Yeah it should be 3 up 3 down and if it comes up, I hope we vote for it as it's only fair. Meanwhile, I'd go for the stopgap solution that someone on here suggested. ie: if the second team finishes 10 points or more above the third placed team then they also go up automatically as well as that's only fair also.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    I hope they get up it's another local derby and good gates if we are still in this division hopefully we will have another promotion.
    On the subject of the National League do we still think it should be three up and down or have we changed our minds now it might mean us dropping through the trapdoor again.
    There is no reasonable err... reason why there shouldn't be automatic promotion for the top two, or maybe three, teams from the National League. There is perhaps the concern that some minor club with attendences of only a couple of thousand dog-walkers achieves promo while clubs with much higher attendences are left stuck in the wilderness. But fair play to the smaller club, they have earned their chance.

It's perfectly possible that at season's end in any year there are another pair like us and Wrexham running away from the rest of the pack yet one is left behind, sulking, after one loss in the play offs. A top club could win thirty games in the league but lose one in a play-off game because of a dodgy penalty given by one of the multitude of dodgy non-league refs abounding thereabouts, and they are condemned to another year in the doldrums. The play-offs are a farce.

Playoffs are the second best introduction into the game during my lifetime.

To improve the NL setup, just make it 2 up automatically and 1 via playoffs (in either the NL or EFL style) and boom, sorted.

I reckon the only way 3 up, 3 down happens is if it's a playoff between 3rd bottom and the playoff places in the national league. That way it's kind of status quo for league 2 with two definitely going down and then it's an extra chance for the third bottom.

Whether I think that is right, I don't know but can't imagine the rest of league 2 voting for a straight 3 up 3 down scenario, maybe if the likes of Oldham, Southend Rochdale (and eventually S****horpe) return, it will sway the vote but I can't see the ones who went up and squeaked it such as Barrow, Sutton and such voting for it

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I reckon the only way 3 up, 3 down happens is if it's a playoff between 3rd bottom and the playoff places in the national league. That way it's kind of status quo for league 2 with two definitely going down and then it's an extra chance for the third bottom.

Whether I think that is right, I don't know but can't imagine the rest of league 2 voting for a straight 3 up 3 down scenario, maybe if the likes of Oldham, Southend Rochdale (and eventually S****horpe) return, it will sway the vote but I can't see the ones who went up and squeaked it such as Barrow, Sutton and such voting for it
    There's something not quite right about being potentially rewarded with a trip to Wembley for finishing 90th out of 92. Surely they'd have to take the final to a neutral league ground?

It is fair that there should be 3 up from the NL, but I would be very surprised if the league clubs voted for 3 dropping out of the league into the NL (I presume it is still down to club chairpersons to vote for these things?).

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Grigg hasn't scored many at all and is living off a decent couple of seasons over 6 years ago. Also he's 31 so only going to drop off now as a striker. They've signed a striker on the way down on a long term contract as they want to rise? Seems like poor business to me.

Naylor seems an odd one, spent last season playing the majority of games for a relegated Wigan in the championship, either no one in the league wanted him or chesterfield are paying over the odds for him, again a 31 year old on a 3 year deal. Seems Cook is just signing players he knows in an attempt to get out the league. Although these seem "marque" signings, not sure they are. When you compare them to Palmer (for Naylor) who is much younger and Langstaff/ Mullin for Grigg, it seems a lot of wasted money.

Would be hilarious if they fail again in the weakest national league for a while. Can see Oldham doing well, and if Southend get it together...
    As we sign a 35 year old striker! (Only joking)

I would take DM over WG anytime. Not sure that I would be that excited about Griggs having seen his goalscoring record over the last 5 or 6 years, although it has been at a higher level.

Back on the subject of Grigg, not sure why he's a fantastic signing. This headline in the Chronicle made me laugh:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...signs-27183058

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Back on the subject of Grigg, not sure why he's a fantastic signing. This headline in the Chronicle made me laugh:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...signs-27183058
    He was not well liked up there. What always gets me is that the Sunderland manager was saying not anything higher than the million that they'd already offered, he wasn't worth it but because the chairman spouted off on twitter promising a striker, they paid over £3m for him... Thank god for the Danes!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast