+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News From The Non League

News From The Non League

Thankfully no longer our concern but couldn't help but notice Chesterfield's two signings. Talk about oldie but a goodie.

Naylor and Grigg on long term deals are surely two fantastic signings from the playoff final losers.

Safe to say they are officially 'going for it' again as they won't come cheap.

Very skinny odds at 7/2 but still tempted after these golden oldie additions.

I hope they get the job done in a considerably weaker looking national League .

Decent signings, but where does their money come from? I thought they were fan-owned. I heard a few people saying that last season was make or break financially, but I guess that isn't true.

With us and Wrexham out of the way, they'll surely make it this time.

Grigg has not scored double figures since 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ireallyhateforest View Post
    Grigg has not scored double figures since 2018.
    Jeez!!! That's not what I expected to read. Luckily for Will those National League defenders should significantly help him out.

No idea Slack, I think the 'make or break' theory on here was only from outsiders looking in. Will Grigg on 3 year deal and Tom Naylor suggests they have at least one more in them.

As for who can stop them? Hmmmm Oldham perhaps? Who has a talented squad and no offield issues.

Poorest that league has looked in a long time. Chesterfield at the back of the queue of the better teams needing to get out.

Grigg hasn't scored many at all and is living off a decent couple of seasons over 6 years ago. Also he's 31 so only going to drop off now as a striker. They've signed a striker on the way down on a long term contract as they want to rise? Seems like poor business to me.

Naylor seems an odd one, spent last season playing the majority of games for a relegated Wigan in the championship, either no one in the league wanted him or chesterfield are paying over the odds for him, again a 31 year old on a 3 year deal. Seems Cook is just signing players he knows in an attempt to get out the league. Although these seem "marque" signings, not sure they are. When you compare them to Palmer (for Naylor) who is much younger and Langstaff/ Mullin for Grigg, it seems a lot of wasted money.

Would be hilarious if they fail again in the weakest national league for a while. Can see Oldham doing well, and if Southend get it together...

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Decent signings, but where does their money come from? I thought they were fan-owned. I heard a few people saying that last season was make or break financially, but I guess that isn't true.

With us and Wrexham out of the way, they'll surely make it this time.
    They are supporter owned, but have had some additional 'investment' over recent times. They have a £1 million loan from Derbyshire County Council and Chesterfield Borough Council (£500k each) plus 2 brothers put in £1 million as a loan last year. They've upped their stake in the club this year iirc, so presumably that's what's keeping them afloat.

Thanks for the additional info Cher1.

Interesting thoughts from CBP. It certainly does feel like a bit of an old boys act with players he knows and trust and if you are Cook you can't blame him as he can't have too many more rolls of the dice.

Grigg clearly needs a spark and is living off a couple of excellent, headline grabbing seasons. Saying that in horse racing terms he's dropping from struggling in Class 2 to unthreatening Class 4/5.

Unless you offer 3 years I guess you are unlikely to get him. On that basis he looks like a signing that will either get the job done or be a bust.

Naylor to me is different, again he's been operating at Championship and mainly League One level for a long time now and that's worlds away from the National League. He could be their Bostock signing, given a little time.

Looks a good signing.

As for the others Sarfend have no chance if their offield woes continue. Oldham finished strongly so will all come down to their recruitment, like most.

I hope they get up it's another local derby and good gates if we are still in this division hopefully we will have another promotion.
    On the subject of the National League do we still think it should be three up and down or have we changed our minds now it might mean us dropping through the trapdoor again.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    I hope they get up it's another local derby and good gates if we are still in this division hopefully we will have another promotion.
    On the subject of the National League do we still think it should be three up and down or have we changed our minds now it might mean us dropping through the trapdoor again.
    It should definitely be three up, three down, regardless of whether it benefits us or not. If you finish third bottom in L2, you deserve to be playing in the NL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast