+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Forge Island bridge lifted into place

OT Forge Island bridge lifted into place

Good to see some progress in the town centre.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.u...lace_45669.htm

Agreed, but technically a bridge to replace a bridge.

inspired by the bailey bridge, which is what plenty want to link NYS to Sheffield Road, which given the scale and costs is very unlikely to ever happen

https://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2023/06/ne...nto-place.html

Hope and pray this development works out for the town centre to go along with our fantastic stadium God our town could do with a lift thing that gets me though is why does it take so bloody long to build anything nowadays? I mean we must be the only town that’s going to build a new cinema (9 screen I believe) when virtually every other cinema is struggling to fill theirs
    As regards the restaurants and cafés opening there best of luck to you, I hope it works out but you are a braver soul than me

Uttis,I live in Barnsley,very similar to Rotherham it lots of ways,but the difference in the town centres couldn`t be more marked.
    Barnsley town centre is a place you want to spend some time,and more importantly,your money,great shops,new cinema,loads of places to eat,it looks like St Tropez compared to Rotherham.
    I really hope my town catches up,but there`s a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Uttis,I live in Barnsley,very similar to Rotherham it lots of ways,but the difference in the town centres couldn`t be more marked.
    Barnsley town centre is a place you want to spend some time,and more importantly,your money,great shops,new cinema,loads of places to eat,it looks like St Tropez compared to Rotherham.
    I really hope my town catches up,but there`s a long way to go.
    Good post, and the investment in Barnsley town centre is working a treat, the place is packed every weekend and thrives through the week

Probably got one last chance to get this right after a few false dawns and promises of projects in the past .if it falls into place as one it can gather momentum and work.if it becomes piece meal or significantly scaled back then you can forget it.

I get the point on all these massive cinema complexes closing down globally. This is a small cinema complex that hopefully regenerates the town as families, couples, even singles start to use the complex and it over spills into the bars and small restaurants within the town centre.

The main building of new dwellings on Main Street and Domine Lane is surely going to bear fruition where folk will look to eat and drink locally and hopefully the town gets itself off its knees and stands proud and upright once again like it was known for in the the past.

Good luck to all the companies who are willing to reinvest in a sad old lady of a town.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I get the point on all these massive cinema complexes closing down globally. This is a small cinema complex that hopefully regenerates the town as families, couples, even singles start to use the complex and it over spills into the bars and small restaurants within the town centre.

The main building of new dwellings on Main Street and Domine Lane is surely going to bear fruition where folk will look to eat and drink locally and hopefully the town gets itself off its knees and stands proud and upright once again like it was known for in the the past.

Good luck to all the companies who are willing to reinvest in a sad old lady of a town.
    Talking of Domine Way. I had a lovely breakfast in Magoo’s there last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Well said, Brin. It's going to be a difficult furrow to plough but I hope it can be done.

Our local cinema in the town where I live is struggling badly. It was built in 1941 and is a classic "Last Picture Show" movie house with amazing interior decoration. Sadly, I've been in there when there's been just four patrons and it's hard going. They do have some creative ideas for usage. It's not too expensive to rent one of the picture halls (it was subdivided into three rooms) for a private showing for a kids party or an evening with friends. (There's a nice period bar in foyer.) They have over-55 evenings that are free, showing classic films from our era with actors from the films showing up. (Not too difficult in California!) We had a full house for American Graffiti a few years back. Two of the cast were there (the girl who goes off with the dorky boy in Ron Howard's character's car and Bo Hopkins, the guy who played the gangleader of The Pharaohs.) They made enough money from bar sales to make it worthwhile.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 23-06-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast