+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT Forge Island bridge lifted into place

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Well said, Brin. It's going to be a difficult furrow to plough but I hope it can be done.

Our local cinema in the town where I live is struggling badly. It was built in 1941 and is a classic "Last Picture Show" movie house with amazing interior decoration. Sadly, I've been in there when there's been just four patrons and it's hard going. They do have some creative ideas for usage. It's not too expensive to rent one of the picture halls (it was subdivided into three rooms) for a private showing for a kids party or an evening with friends. (There's a nice period bar in foyer.) They have over-55 evenings that are free, showing classic films from our era with actors from the films showing up. (Not too difficult in California!) We had a full house for American Graffiti a few years back. Two of the cast were there (the girl who goes off with the dorky boy in Ron Howard's character's car and Bo Hopkins, the guy who played the gangleader of The Pharaohs.) They made enough money from bar sales to make it worthwhile.
    I love American Graffiti CT, one of my favourite films , the cars and the music and a very young Harrison Ford, brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by daveeed View Post
    I love American Graffiti CT, one of my favourite films , the cars and the music and a very young Harrison Ford, brilliant
    With you Daveed. One of my all time favorites and I still play the double album music soundtrack regularly. It's an America that did exist to some extent (I caught the tail-end of it when I first moved here) but it's largely disappeared.

George Lucas based the film on his own memories of cruising the strip in Modesto CA but none of it was filmed there. Most of the street scenes were shot in Petaluma and St Raphael north of San Francisco. I've driven the routes and a lot is still recognisable. The airport scene at the end when they left for college was shot at Concorde Airport which is just up the road from me.

I thought this was also one of Richard Dreyfuss's better films (together with 'The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz') When I was living in Southern California he lived in the same town as I did (Encinitas) and my younger daughter got to know him a little since she worked as a waitress at his favorite fish restaurant for a while. A crabby old man bossed around by his Russian wife, apparently!
    Last edited by CTMilller; 25-06-2023 at 12:28 AM.

That bridge is a piece of piss. Mrs Sota and I built far more impressive bridges than that. To name a few.... Meadowhall footbridge from the station. The 3 way footbridge next to Sheff Arena, the roadbridge on the A61 at Broughton, Cliff Wheel Bridle Bridge at Crystal Peaks, Great Ponton bridge over the A1 and last but not least the little arch over the entrance to Rotherham Bus Station lol. The crane we used could've lifted a double decker bus onto the top of Blackpool Tower :-)
    Last edited by sota; 25-06-2023 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Well said, Brin. It's going to be a difficult furrow to plough but I hope it can be done.

Our local cinema in the town where I live is struggling badly. It was built in 1941 and is a classic "Last Picture Show" movie house with amazing interior decoration. Sadly, I've been in there when there's been just four patrons and it's hard going. They do have some creative ideas for usage. It's not too expensive to rent one of the picture halls (it was subdivided into three rooms) for a private showing for a kids party or an evening with friends. (There's a nice period bar in foyer.) They have over-55 evenings that are free, showing classic films from our era with actors from the films showing up. (Not too difficult in California!) We had a full house for American Graffiti a few years back. Two of the cast were there (the girl who goes off with the dorky boy in Ron Howard's character's car and Bo Hopkins, the guy who played the gangleader of The Pharaohs.) They made enough money from bar sales to make it worthwhile.
    CT, you see, the yanks make a proper go of everything thinking outside the box in order to keep things going. Love the free for over 55's evenings. I clearly recall the girl who pops Pee Wee's cherry or am I thinking of another film? Ah yes, i'm thinking of Porky's where Howard plays Pee Wee and gets his cherry popped in the back of the school bus.
    Last edited by Brin; 25-06-2023 at 09:41 AM.

Hope this cinema will be showing plenty of foreign films , Rotherham town centre is a **** hole, don’t forget to vote labour in the next local elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Hope this cinema will be showing plenty of foreign films , Rotherham town centre is a **** hole, don’t forget to vote labour in the next local elections.
    No need to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    That bridge is a piece of piss. Mrs Sota and I built far more impressive bridges than that. To name a few.... Meadowhall footbridge from the station. The 3 way footbridge next to Sheff Arena, the roadbridge on the A61 at Broughton, Cliff Wheel Bridle Bridge at Crystal Peaks, Great Ponton bridge over the A1 and last but not least the little arch over the entrance to Rotherham Bus Station lol. The crane we used could've lifted a double decker bus onto the top of Blackpool Tower :-)
    What's a ball park figure for a pedestrian bridge over don from NYS to Sheffield Road? Just so we can finally rule that out.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    What's a ball park figure for a pedestrian bridge over don from NYS to Sheffield Road? Just so we can finally rule that out.
    I don't know FC, Ive been out of the game for 25 years. Probably nowhere near as much as you would think though.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    It would cost millions if platers in boiler shop at Steelos had made it ? £100,000 on T Bags alone !!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12