+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Income?

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    You're going to have to explain to me how if everyone gets it anyone can fiddle it!

What if those ( and there are many ) have assets over a million and they are not working for whatever reason - don’t need to/savings etc. presume these people would then benefit? There are many company directors who don’t declare a salary/very small salary by playing around with stock etc - presume they could benefit? What if you are wealthy enough not to work - will these folk benefit?

Surely it should work like council tax in that if a person claims exemption they can only claim
    If they can prove they have less than 18K in savings otherwise it’s fraudulent?

Sadly if there’s any loopholes - they will be exploited like the bounce back loans!

Thanks 923

People have to get by on a lot less than this when they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by splinter View Post
    People have to get by on a lot less than this when they retire.
    Pensioners would get the £19k

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    What if those ( and there are many ) have assets over a million and they are not working for whatever reason - don’t need to/savings etc. presume these people would then benefit? There are many company directors who don’t declare a salary/very small salary by playing around with stock etc - presume they could benefit? What if you are wealthy enough not to work - will these folk benefit?

Surely it should work like council tax in that if a person claims exemption they can only claim
    If they can prove they have less than 18K in savings otherwise it’s fraudulent?

Sadly if there’s any loopholes - they will be exploited like the bounce back loans!

Thanks 923
    You're right! A few would find loopholes and exploit the system. So let's fixate on those few and keep the status quo. Ignore the millions that it would lift out of poverty. The millions that would lose the shame of living off benefits. The 10's of millions of ordinary folk that would get a lifestyle boost.

You're right! A few would find loopholes and exploit the system. So let's fixate on those few and keep the status quo. Ignore the millions that it would lift out of poverty. The millions that would lose the shame of living off benefits. The 10's of millions of ordinary folk that would get a lifestyle boost.
    Totally agree 923

The principles great; an absolute utopia. But how, in any climate could you afford to just make the countries folk richer??

Again, I would worry that the way the world works, £19k would become poverty if everyone has it overnight and it would eventually not pose lifestyle boost.
    Last edited by baggiematt; 06-07-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    The principles great; an absolute utopia. But how, in any climate could you afford to just make the countries folk richer??

Again, I would worry that the way the world works, £19k would become poverty if everyone has it overnight and it would eventually not pose lifestyle boost.

My point is there should be a safety net - if you have assets of X and savings of more than let’s say 15K then you can’t keep it otherwise you have committed fraud. Bit like council tax exemption - many can’t claim it with savings of more than 15K ( and you have to send bank statements ) to prove it. Any fraud then you are rightly prosecuted!

People can’t have their cake and eat it as the whole point any help should be for the needy! Absolutely crazy how the government paid £67 per month for energy support to those who were very comfortable! The world’s gone mad!

Yes to increase the pension too but only to those who are struggling and that’s the majority!

We used to all get family allowance for kids regardless of income, that was a universal benefit, now it’s tax credits and means tested. I would vote for a universal income if the sums added up, anything that ensures no one goes to bed hungry or without a roof over their heads has to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    We used to all get family allowance for kids regardless of income, that was a universal benefit, now it’s tax credits and means tested. I would vote for a universal income if the sums added up, anything that ensures no one goes to bed hungry or without a roof over their heads has to be a good thing.
    Exactly Dave.

I don’t really care about the filthy rich keeping it or working the system, I’d much rather it saved people on or below the bottom rung of society.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Exactly Dave.

I don’t really care about the filthy rich keeping it or working the system, I’d much rather it saved people on or below the bottom rung of society.

I agree Mick! If someone is not needy though and keeps it then they should get at least six months imprisonment!! That won’t happen though which is why so many fiddle the system and to be honest - who blames them if they get away Scot free. No the majority of people don’t have a conscience and many who are comfortable couldn’t give two s hits about those who are desperate!

Bit like saying all the illegals who pile in - who blames them when they get away with it Scot free and handed everything on a plate!

Getting to the point with those who don’t pay tax - who blames them when the system does not come down hard! Why would many be encouraged to be honest when looking at our government and some in the royal family feathering their nests!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)