+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: You win promotion and ..........?

You win promotion and ..........?

Last season AFC Ashington won promotion to the Northern Premier League East Division.
    They had been doing well all season and had attracted decent crowds, in fact, only two clubs in the NPL East, to which we are promoted. had better average attendances.
    My friend, who has a lot of experience in running non-league teams, including Blyth Spartans and Bedlington Terriers had advised that, because of necessary ground improvements and increased travelling costs, it would be in the interest of the club to attract sponsors. He actually suggested a few things and paved the way for the club to just make approaches because money was available. Basically, he was ignored and we wondered how things would progress.
    A few weeks ago, this appeared on the Club's website:- https://www.ashingtonafc.com/2023/06...ld-the-budget/

All I can say is that, with the increased amount of travel to away games (more than three times as much as last season) and the current financial situation in the country, this request smacks of desperation.
    Sadly, it is a reflectoin of the struggles which non-league clubs encounter season on season whilst the top echelons of the game are swimming in money.

Your fixture list is horrendous Sub, all that travelling takes the fun out of it. I don't think you'll have any problem at that level, but I suspect after a few months of it you might wish you'd stayed where you were.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Your fixture list is horrendous Sub, all that travelling takes the fun out of it. I don't think you'll have any problem at that level, but I suspect after a few months of it you might wish you'd stayed where you were.
    sinkov, the main problem is attracting players to sign for us and play. We have lost almost half of last season's squad because the players do not want to travel, some of them having signed for us when they had left other local clubs for the same reason.
    We are the club who, along with Morpeth, are the furthest north in the Pyramid system and this will always go against us unless we could pay players hefty wages.
    Anyway, we shall see what happens but will be very selective in attending away matches, although I am away for 11 weeks of the season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Last season AFC Ashington won promotion to the Northern Premier League East Division.
    They had been doing well all season and had attracted decent crowds, in fact, only two clubs in the NPL East, to which we are promoted. had better average attendances.
    My friend, who has a lot of experience in running non-league teams, including Blyth Spartans and Bedlington Terriers had advised that, because of necessary ground improvements and increased travelling costs, it would be in the interest of the club to attract sponsors. He actually suggested a few things and paved the way for the club to just make approaches because money was available. Basically, he was ignored and we wondered how things would progress.
    A few weeks ago, this appeared on the Club's website:- https://www.ashingtonafc.com/2023/06...ld-the-budget/

All I can say is that, with the increased amount of travel to away games (more than three times as much as last season) and the current financial situation in the country, this request smacks of desperation.
    Sadly, it is a reflectoin of the struggles which non-league clubs encounter season on season whilst the top echelons of the game are swimming in money.
    My hometown club Fareham Town FC were reasonably successful and gained promotion to the Southern League Premier Division in the early 1980’s but lacked the finances to manage at that level resulting in their dropping back down to the Wes*** League in the 1990’s. There is so much more money in football these days as you point out Supersub but it largely stays at the top. A pyramid system with promotion and relegation on merit is what fans have clearly voiced their support for but lack of funding can effectively produce a closed shop.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)