+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Favourite Opposition's Football Song/Chant

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Is the correct answer.
    We are really fortunate to have a poster who can give a definitive and final answer to a variety of differing opinions.

Imagine if we were allowed to think for ourselves?

Give me a T
    Give me an I
    Give me a T
    Give me an S
    What have you got….T 1 T S
    What do you do with them….OLDHAM, OLDHAM

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    We are really fortunate to have a poster who can give a definitive and final answer to a variety of differing opinions.

Imagine if we were allowed to think for ourselves?
    Well that's a **** footy song!

Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Well that's a **** footy song!
    I've adapted it a bit courtesy of The Manic Street Preachers:

If you tolerate this, then your opinion will be nil, will be nil, will be ni-il.

Stoke may well have been the loudest ever at ML but they were local rivals, usually our biggest fixture around the turn of the millennium, always filled the away stand and we were often promotion rivals when we played them after they introduced that song into their terrace mix. If we'd only ever met them in the EFL Trophy since 1998 then we'd probably overlook them. You could say the same thing about Cov but "Delilah" says nothing about them as a club, unless they have a disproportionate number of wife/girlfriend murderers among their fan base (it is Stoke though, so maybe they do). The first time I heard them do it, I thought WTF because of the way it goes silent in between the bursts of noise in the build up, but after the 2nd or 3rd time that novelty had worn off and it just sounded a stupid song for a football crowd to sing.
    If we were playing say Crystal Palace at home on the final day of the season and they needed 3 points to go up and got them with a late winner, then they'd no doubt make a greater noise than Stoke with "Glad All Over". How loud a fanbase is depends on the numbers, you can have a pathetic song and still make a lot of noise with it, see Fword.

Quote Originally Posted by SongBird View Post
    Worst probably Millwall, no-one likes us, that hasn't aged well
    They also surely have the weirdest in the 'Monk Chant' - Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllll

It's fairly unique, bordering on slightly sinister, and it suits them!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Have to agree with this. I've never seen such a passionate rendition of a club anthem to match this one when Hibs won the Scottish Cup in 2016.

It was an outpouring of 114 years of pure emotion. Hibs were 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go but won it. I think there was crowd trouble after the game and the video was shot 30 minutes after it finished, but it seemed not a single Hibs fan had left the ground. A bit like our win at Wembley, it made all the years of hurt worthwhile.

I first became aware of this after reading a few Irvine Welsh books. Some of them give a fantastic insight into football rivalry, often very violent. One of them even mentions footy messageboards!
    I was in the crowd that day at Hampden. There were grown men and women breaking down and crying with the emotion. At last! Hibs fans entered the pitch after the final whistle to celebrate. Irvine Welsh used to write in the fanzine 'Mass Hibsteria' as I did latterly, occasionally.

Our parents and grandparents had never seen the like. The Proclaimers are died in the wool Hibees. They were born in Leith and came to return there to live. They were prominent in the 'Hands Off Hibs' campaign in 1990 when the Hearts chairman, Mercer, filed a hostile takeover bid. They stood by their team.

I am biased - I am a Hibs fan (with a healthy amount of love for Notts over many decades for family reasons) but I truly do believe that the love song that is Sunshine on Leith is the best of all football anthems. Beauty and kindness.

Just to give a bit of credit elsewhere, I love the way that Motherwell took on 'Twist and Shout'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsI...nel=RobertPark

Surely it has to be You'll never walk alone? Wins by a million miles, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Surely it has to be You'll never walk alone? Wins by a million miles, in my opinion.
    No more famous a footy song than that, on TV at Anfield (or Celtic Park) on a night match not much can top it. Spine tingling stuff.

Alas sadly I can't remember hearing it in person. Seen Liverpool play at Meadow Lane once but don't recall it, and was in Atlanta', Georgia when we played them about 10 years ago.

I guess you don't get a true version until a top match in the premier league or champions league.

I was at Anfield when we played them a few years back and they always sing it before games, was good to witness it.

Blaydon Races is another good one, from the other Magpies.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast