+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Betting suspended

I’ve asked you before nudge…. Who do you want as manager??

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I’ve asked you before nudge…. Who do you want as manager??
    I have mentioned this in a previous post.
    I want whoever the directors choose - because I’ve every faith that they will get a good un.
    It’s only when that’s been taken off the recruitment team that things went badly wrong eg the Conway season.
    But even then - I think there was potentially two good head coaches in Schopp and Asbaghi but there was clearly too much interference coming from Conway.

If you look back we ain’t done bad.
    Stendel
    Struber
    Ishmael
    Duff
    We desperately need to find a way of keeping hold of these appointments.
    That’s the single most thing that’s holding the club back at the moment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I have mentioned this in a previous post.
    I want whoever the directors choose - because I’ve every faith that they will get a good un.
    It’s only when that’s been taken off the recruitment team that things went badly wrong eg the Conway season.
    But even then - I think there was potentially two good head coaches in Schopp and Asbaghi but there was clearly too much interference coming from Conway.

If you look back we ain’t done bad.
    Stendel
    Struber
    Ishmael
    Duff
    We desperately need to find a way of keeping hold of these appointments.
    That’s the single most thing that’s holding the club back at the moment IMO.
    Ok so what if they choose wilder?

You said you don’t want him?

Would you be happy?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Ok so what if they choose wilder?

You said you don’t want him?

Would you be happy?
    Yes I’d be happy - as obviously he will have come to an agreement with our directors.

He played some great stuff at Sheffield - a real pleasure to watch.
    But I have friends and relatives that are United fans and they fell out of love with him big style.
    And a few weeks ago I was talking to 2 Middlesboro fans who didn’t rate him either.
    I’ve been told things I’m not putting on a messsge board.

I don’t want the club to go back to chasing after managers or players that have been around the block and built a reputation.
    These type’s generally come with a list of demands including astronomical wage demands.
    If these types fail - that’s no problem to them as they have already got £££ millions in the bank.

I’d much prefer the club to stick to young hungry head coaches that know how to play the high press game.

Yes I’d be happy - as obviously he will have come to an agreement with our directors.

But I have friends and relatives that are United fans and they fell out of love with him big style.
    And a few weeks ago I was talking to 2 Middlesboro fans who didn’t rate him either.

I don’t want the club to go back to chasing after managers or players that have been around the block and built a reputation.
    These type’s generally come with a list of demands including astronomical wage demands.
    If these types fail - that’s no problem to them as they have already got £££ millions in the bank.

I’d much prefer the club to stick to young hungry head coaches that know how to play the high press game.
    Ok Nudge, we’ll see what we get.

I’m not excited one way or the other, they’re not at the club for more than 2 minutes so I can’t get attached.

One things for sure, there won’t be any players coming on big wages so rest easy on that score.

It will all unravel as will our CEO’s big news. I hope he hasn’t been pillocking us or his street cred will be lower than it already is and that’s rock bottom from my view point.

Why is it that when anybody mentions moving away from this failed model does its supporters always highlight extreme examples ?

Did Norwood and Solbauer demand astronomical wages ?

I know little about betting and odds as I don't bet but was informed this yesterday as something that is possible and would be grateful if anyone could confirm or otherwise---

1) Friday 4pm Wilder amongst betting odds leaders at evens

2) Friday 4.15pm BBS poster posts that Wilder had "signed on the dotted line" and was our next HC

3) Friday 4.15 to 6 pm. A number of BBS posters and others informed of the "news" lump money on Wilder in the hope of making easy money. With comparatively low volumes being bet on this Barnsley Next Manager Odds then then sudden unusual betting pattern would alert the betting company that they need to suspend betting.

4) Friday 6pm Betting suspended

Is this scenario possible ? Could a single post on BBS have such consequences ?
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-07-2023 at 09:43 AM.

It is well known that bookies have teams looking for irregular betting patterns. If they think they have identified unusual patterns in betting, they will suspend a market.

This may have happened but in this example it is only a small market attracting a few bets. However this may have happened here.

Whether chat sites influence the bets placed is open to debate. They may have some influence but enough to cause an irregular betting pattern? I’m not do sure about that.

I, like SB, don't gamble or bet, so I don't know if this is a silly question. Is the betting on who Barnsley's next manager an interest to gamblers nationally or just locally? We're a small club compared to some of the other teams without a manager, so wouldn't the major number of people be betting on their next managers instead? Probably be easier to bet on bigger clubs next manager than ours, as we could pick anyone with any degree of experience whereas the bigger clubs don't tend to. If this is right, wouldn't the BBS be more likely to influence the local gamblers, thus forming unusual patterns amongst those that are betting, as it's only of local interest?

You could well be right on that Fanty, it probably is more interesting to BFC enthusiasts but some pro gamblers will bet on anything if they think they have an edge on the bookies ie some solid and reliable information.

Personally it is not a market that interests me, BFC have made so many 'left field' appointments in recent years that I wouldnt be surprised if we get another. I think we will be shopping on the bargain rail again and it seems that overseas candidates or ones from lower down the pyramid are in our price range. The speculation about Wilder probably flies in the face of that statement as he has a decent CV in English football so it would be a shock to me if he is appointed.

Its reassuring to know that the selection process is well underway given that the initial approach from Swansea was made (with our consent?) before the play off final. So 10 days or so after Duff left we still havent got an appointment made whist the offloading of our better players is progressing well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast