+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striker required please

Striker required please

I'm sure it hasn't been overlooked by Marvin, but we seem to be very short on strikers, - with short being the optimum word, - because those we do have are extremely short in stature.

There have been a number of us calling for a big target man for some time, - and our closest neighbours certainly have one.

What's Homer doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I'm sure it hasn't been overlooked by Marvin, but we seem to be very short on strikers, - with short being the optimum word, - because those we do have are extremely short in stature.

There have been a number of us calling for a big target man for some time, - and our closest neighbours certainly have one.
    I really don’t see the need for a big man up front. It’s a player who knows how to find the back of the net is what we need. Was Nicky Clarke big. Was Paton huge. Is kyogo big. Salah? Mane? Dobie? The list goes on. What all these players did have was pace to burn and an eye for goal. None apart from dobie played with a tall target man! In fact when you look at the likes of fletcher etc they don’t have a great scoring record. It doesn’t really matter if they are big or small. The main thing is do they score goals. And that is what worries me. None of the players we have up front are goal scorers. Reilly has the potential but needs to up his effort and the lad from Clyde I think scored one last season. Hardly inspiring. I’d have sooner see a player who has scored a barrow load from the juniors and who has shown he has the knack of scoring.
    I’m just hoping the manager is working on this as without a regular goal scorer I can’t see us being close to winning the league
    Last edited by fatfan; 04-07-2023 at 06:47 PM.

Modern football does not use big target men upfront and I believe Marvin is very much a follower of this. Unless the big man upfront is mobile with good feet, a bit likes Dykes or Nouble, then these types of players are becoming redundant in our game and are no longer sought after.

I’m just hoping the manager is working on this as without a regular goal scorer I can’t see us being close to winning the league[/QUOTE]

Yesterdays Standard... Marvin...."We have to score goals to win games but I will take a 1 v 0 win throughout the whole of the season. It's not big boots to fill. We need to win games of football. That's it!" That suggests to me that he seems to be more concerned and will be concentrating about the defensive side of things!

Marvin defo needs a proven goalscorer but the one position that's needed quality has been defensive mid mckenna type that man has never been replaced he was quality which takes huge pressure of the defence .

I'm with Fatfan on this, - it doesn't matter if he's big, small or indifferent, - we definitely need someone who can put the ball in the net. I still think we're a bit short in that department, - pun very much intended.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I'm with Fatfan on this, - it doesn't matter if he's big, small or indifferent, - we definitely need someone who can put the ball in the net. I still think we're a bit short in that department, - pun very much intended.
    That said, one of those 'good feet for a big lad' types wouldn't go amiss!

Exactly!

The training this afternoon was interesting, - with lots of balance work, - something which Sergei Baltacha mentioned to me that the former USSR were doing 40 years ago. Lots of crisp passing along the ground and attempted one and two touch drills - which all looks good. It's the delivery of that into match scenarios which is all important, - and the ability to track back and retrieve the ball when it breaks down.

At the end of the day though, - we can have all the drills we like, and we can have circus performers with superb balance, - but if we don't have a striker who can place the ball between the sticks, - we won't get out of League one.

Marvin saying in the post Gretna interview that he is still looking for four to five more signings, some of which are likely to be loanees, prior to the start of the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)