+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our chances for the 2023/24 season

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    L2 is probably the toughest league to predict. Ordinarily teams relegated from L1 often find themselves high on the list of favourites and rarely do 2 teams come up having comprehensively destroyed the NL feature so high. Then there are teams who often find themselves there or thereabouts in odds and finishing positions in the previous season.
    I think it seems easier to predict the teams that will struggle - the likes of Crawley, Harrogate and Sutton will probably finish in the bottom 6. As always there is likely to be a surprise package at the bottom end as well as at the top end. The last couple of seasons have seen unfancied teams promoted - FGR and Leyton Orient to name 2.

It promises to be a tough and hopefully entertaining season for us.
    As long as we dont get relegated thats all that matters. The thing with league is, most of the teams are better equipped than the Bromley's and Borehamwood's. As we all know, we struggled to beat those teams...

Considering Notts don’t do mid table (can’t remember the last time) I will go for in and around the playoffs as we’re surely better than relegation battlers.

Clear step up but in all honesty Borehamwood and Bromley were really the only sides we struggled to beat the entire season. Did we fail to beat any other side on the league?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Clear step up but in all honesty Borehamwood and Bromley were really the only sides we struggled to beat the entire season. Did we fail to beat any other side on the league?
    We did manage to beat many of the teams, some quite convincingly, but there were some close encounters that could quite easily have gone the other way...

Until the season gets underway, we wont really know what we are up against...

I feel like those numbers are slightly optimistic but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

In the first season after a promotion generally I'd be satisfied with a top half finish or in some cases even just avoiding a relegation battle. But the owners have invested significantly (yet again) and strengthened the squad intelligently (yet again) so my expectations are a little higher.

Still, I will be absolutely delighted by any flavour of promotion contention.

I'm just happy for now that we're back in L2 and continuing to strengthen the squad. It speaks volumes about a bright future IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    As long as we dont get relegated thats all that matters. The thing with league is, most of the teams are better equipped than the Bromley's and Borehamwood's. As we all know, we struggled to beat those teams...
    They are. Though I’m not sure teams will be thinking of parking the bus in the hope they get a breakaway goal. Even if they do, having players like 100% fit Jones and Didzy gives quality to do things a little different.
    Time will tell how good this squad is.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We did manage to beat many of the teams, some quite convincingly, but there were some close encounters that could quite easily have gone the other way...
    Did we beat every side in that league bar the two names you mentioned? I had a quick scan of the finished table (always great viewing) and couldn't think of another.

Agree about not knowing what we are who against until we've played a 10-12 sides. To me we've been away from L2 just long enough for me to have lost touch with the standard as unsurprisingly I've not been watching any L2 action whilst we were NL.

Consistently less goals scored in L2 than the NL since we dropped out.

Last season.......

Averages for LEAGUE TWO
    Goals per game: 2.34 (1.17 per team)
    Home goals: 1.28 Away goals: 1.06
    Results percentages
    Home wins: 41% Away wins: 30% Draws: 29%

Averages for NATIONAL LEAGUE
    Goals per game: 2.79 (1.39 per team)
    Home goals: 1.54 Away goals: 1.25
    Results percentages
    Home wins: 44% Away wins: 30% Draws: 26%

Prior to last season