+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Proposed FA Cup changes 2024/5

Proposed FA Cup changes 2024/5

Premier League trying to take over.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...eague-30395531

It'll be another nail in it's coffin if it goes ahead.

I don't understand why the premier league are pushing for early rounds to be midweek? They aren't involved in them?

The FA Cup lost it's magic years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I don't understand why the premier league are pushing for early rounds to be midweek? They aren't involved in them?
    I think they probably mean the earlier rounds for them.

Almost meaningless now for the Prem League clubs. If a lower team gets a big draw against them, the Prem team plays a very weakened team, not sure they care if they lose.

Still, money talks, 'In return for the landmark changes the Premier League would offer an increased payment to the FA which would allow them to further fund grassroots football.'

Pretty sure it will go ahead.

As has been said, it lost its magic years ago, along with the League Cup.

There's only two things that matter - Champions League, and the lesser important Premier League.

I’ve thought for a long time now that best option for cup competitions is for National league to keep their FA Trophy and FA Cup involvement. Ditch the pointless pizza cup with u21s teams (what’s it even called?). Make the league cup the Football League Cup (champ down to L2) and Prem teams just particuin FA Cup and Euro competitions. Replays absolutely need to remain in FA Cup and final only at Wembley.

Some good suggestions but I think the only way to give the cup competitions more clout would to be to award champions league places for the winners of them and scrap the ridiculous ‘top 4’ qualifying for the CL rule. They shouldn’t be rewarded for not winning anything in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Some good suggestions but I think the only way to give the cup competitions more clout would to be to award champions league places for the winners of them and scrap the ridiculous ‘top 4’ qualifying for the CL rule. They shouldn’t be rewarded for not winning anything in my mind.
    Would you apply the same ruling to promotion places in the leagues below the Premier League?