+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Radar

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    So anticipating we'll go up to tier 3 is being actively negative?????

If we've struggled to keep up with the spending power of the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield and Solihull for the past 4 years. then I can't see us competing with the likes of Bolton, Reading, Barnsley and Portsmouth. The further up you go, the more important spending power becomes. Hopefully it won't be in tier 4 where that becomes all too apparent, but I think it has to become an issue in tier 3 with the size of clubs we're now seeing at that level on a regular basis.
    In fairness, we are now a league above Chesterfield and Solihull, so spending isn’t everything. Agree with you, though, that the playing field gets less level the higher up you go.

So anticipating we'll go up to tier 3 is being actively negative?????
    No it isn't , I never said it was.

Do you think you haven't been actively negative and cynical about the owners to date?

If we've struggled to keep up with the spending power of the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield and Solihull for the past 4 years. then I can't see us competing with the likes of Bolton, Reading, Barnsley and Portsmouth. The further up you go, the more important spending power becomes. Hopefully it won't be in tier 4 where that becomes all too apparent, but I think it has to become an issue in tier 3 with the size of clubs we're now seeing at that level on a regular basis.
    Lots of assumptions made but with so many unknowns it's to be expected, but also remembered UTM.

Could it be that at 5th tier level they perhaps didn't want to release the spending power of Wrexham, Stockport? Have we struggled to match Solihull? How do we financially compare?

Spending powers importance certainly does increase as you go up the pyramid as you would expect, do you think our spending power could increase too if we move up the leagues?

Historically football fans talk about natural position in the pyramid , taking in the good and bad times I've always viewed Notts as upper tier 3. I don't know the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if out attendances supported that or very similar.

L1 would be tough for Notts as it would be and is for an Oxford, Port Vale, Peterborough etc

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Do you think you haven't been actively negative and cynical about the owners to date?

I've always been realistic when it comes to the owners compared to people under the impression that the club has access to family wealth upwards of a billion or that we've ever been in a position to do a Brentford.

I've always been realistic when it comes to the owners compared to people under the impression that the club has access to family wealth upwards of a billion or that we've ever been in a position to do a Brentford.
    Well on that very specific barometer of billionaires and PL Brentford, then I whole heartedly agree you've always been realistic

It seems like an industry that could be 90% automated with scripts to pull X amount of players/data with the other 10% being censor checking.

Perhaps they're at a point where they've automated the data or are moving their office to somewhere where it has less overheads as opposed to impending financial doom.

Or perhaps they lost one of their big contracts to supply odds for... could be anything.

I'm sure if there was any danger on the horizon they'd have entertained any bids received for Langstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Well on that very specific barometer of billionaires and PL Brentford, then I whole heartedly agree you've always been realistic
    The point of disagreement is whether or not its' possible to arrive in tier 3 and settle in indefinitely and be happy with that.
    I say tier 3 is the crossroads division, not a destination. You can hang about for a bit deciding which way you're going to turn, but it's in tier 3 where you have to decide what sort of club you want to be. There is a massive difference between tier 2 and tier 4. Going by what I've seen so far, I think it's more likely we'd become a Port Vale (going up and down between tiers 3 and 4) under the current owners than Peterboro (up and down between tiers 2 and 3).

This thread is basically about the owners not being what they seem. I say a lot of people have got a very unrealistic impression of them, which as Jackal points out, is something people are projecting on to them, not something they themselves are encouraging.

The downside is, the current owners will probably stay with us for a couple of more seasons. Then true to Notts style, we will be sold to some dodgy back street crook who then sells all of our better players to pay for his gambling debts. And true to form, we are hit with unpaid VAT payments, points deduction for late payment of staff wages, and the obligatory relegation battle.. Welcome back to the Conference...

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    The downside is, the current owners will probably stay with us for a couple of more seasons. Then true to Notts style, we will be sold to some dodgy back street crook who then sells all of our better players to pay for his gambling debts. And true to form, we are hit with unpaid VAT payments, points deduction for late payment of staff wages, and the obligatory relegation battle.. Welcome back to the Conference...
    It's impossible to say what's gonna happen in the future. Judging by what they have done since they've been our owners, we have no real reason to mistrust them. They say they're in it for the long haul and we have no reasons not to believe that, yet.

The point of disagreement is whether or not its' possible to arrive in tier 3 and settle in indefinitely and be happy with that.
    I say tier 3 is the crossroads division, not a destination. You can hang about for a bit deciding which way you're going to turn, but it's in tier 3 where you have to decide what sort of club you want to be. There is a massive difference between tier 2 and tier 4. Going by what I've seen so far, I think it's more likely we'd become a Port Vale (going up and down between tiers 3 and 4) under the current owners than Peterboro (up and down between tiers 2 and 3).

This thread is basically about the owners not being what they seem. I say a lot of people have got a very unrealistic impression of them, which as Jackal points out, is something people are projecting on to them, not something they themselves are encouraging.
    I disagree with your 'point of disagreement' lol , I think also think L1 is a crossroads division especially for clubs like Notts. Huge difference between L2 and the championship.

"I say a lot of people have got a very unrealistic impression of them" am I right to assume you mean unrealistic in an overly positive sense?

My point is there are so many unknowns about the owners, and I don't say that in a critical or negative way, as they rightly keep media stuff to a minimum and avoid speculation, false promises etc then I find it difficult to put much if any weight to anything overly positive (i.e. The mentions of Brentford or Peterborough are simple examples of our approach to me with the former being the ultimate aim? or negative ( unnecessary fear , concern about , hypothetical future scenarios).

It's guesswork on so many levels of all the things I mentioned earlier. What can be judged far easier is what has happened to date. What have the owners achieved on all the traditional tangible footballing criteria. Have they improved out league standings? Have they required well? Have they improved the stadium, pitch, training facilities? Matchday experience? Have they improved attendances? The financial stability? Youth academy setup? Oh and have they improved the first team swuad?

Things like that

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Oh No...Are you thinking the Trew's and Rodwell will make a return..????

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast