+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Where will we finish?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will we finish 2023/24?

My prediction is 6th but I would go higher if we sign a class defender before the transfer window shuts.

I’d say about half the teams in this division have the potential to win promotion and the competition will be fierce, but this squad and LW have enough about them to be well up there.

So it should be participation in the playoffs again, for the fifth season running, hopefully with the same outcome as last season.

As a long standing Notts fan we are used to misery and at the minute it appears to be going swimmingly well so even though privately we are thinking(and hoping) that we will do the same or similar in League 2 as the NL last season publicly we don't want to sound arrogant or to jinx it plus Division 2 is an unknown to us in the last 5 years but the teams that have been promoted especially Stockport are a good barometer so I would hope us to be at least top half and should be challenging for play offs.
    The main worry as we all know is defence but LW's philosophy and the reason on paper we had the second best defence in the league last season was to keep the ball and when that was the case the opposition can't score.
    I think v Stoke we were a little rusty and also playing against higher opposition we turned the ball over too easily and got punished for it.
    I believe he will use the Stoke and Forest game to beat the players with to drive them to improve whilst in possession.
    Last season we started quite slowly coming back from 2 down to Chesterfield and didn't start to look like title contenders until after we lost at Dorking.

Enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on the season ahead and importantly where people think we will finish in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    My prediction is 6th but I would go higher if we sign a class defender before the transfer window shuts.
    That's why I'll wait til around Aug 3 to make any prediction.

When you're promoted it's natural as fans to think how we should upgrade on the team for the next level up. For me it was RCB and LWB, ideally bringing in players who become our best performers. If we have a back 3 where neither Cameron/Baldwin are our best players, it's the new signing instead, then we're strong promotion candidates IMO.

Maybe this will still happen, but I'd prefer the club to wait (for however long it takes) to get one of our top targets rather than take a punt when Rawlo/Brinds can do a job for us. With a budget, you probably get only one shot at doing this well.

Solid mid table. High line will kill us early in the season but we will eventually adapt our style and finish around 10th to 12th. Defence that starts the season will be almost unrecognisable by the end of it, whilst the midfield & forwards will be pretty much the same as at the start.

I voted 6th/7th. I've got less confidence in the accuracy of that than previous seasons because obviously our opposition has just kicked up a gear and there are significant changes in the squad.

I wouldn't be shocked (or hugely disappointed) by a mid table finish, or totally surprised if we're battling for the top spots. Any risk of relegation would be an unwelcome surprise.

I really would like to see another defender join the squad though, even a promising loanee.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Interesting to see how the pol results contrast with the general view among the footballing community (and bookies) that we are genuine promotion contenders. Is it just that we know better than them, or are we just being extra cautious?
    Good question but remember bookies had us promotion favourites at the start of the season we got relegated so sometimes they have even less idea than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you ran the same poll on the Wrexham forum that that vast majority would predict a top-three finish, and they only just pipped us to the title. But I think overconfidence has been rampant in north Wales for a while now. I'd rather be cautiously optimistic over the medium-to-long term than expecting perpetual success.
    I think Notts fans just aren't willing to believe the monkey is finally off our back TBH. That's how I feel, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Good question but remember bookies had us promotion favourites at the start of the season we got relegated so sometimes they have even less idea than we do.

I think Notts fans just aren't willing to believe the monkey is finally off our back TBH. That's how I feel, anyhow.
    Remember it is not the bookies who made us favourites it is the punters and how much money they put down.

55, that's not quite true or how it works but I get your point.

A bit late to the party, but I'm going for a solid 8th next season.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast