+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Partick

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Are we still firmly in the squad experimentation stage?

While i didnt see the game.....

Walton,
    Grimshaw, Denham, Graham, Duffy
    Cujoe, Sibbald, Docherty, Middleton,
    Thomson, Watt.

Not seeing this one either!
    Sensible selection. Get away from the 433 ****e.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Grimshaw to RB is an absolute must if we're persevering with some of the sh*te from yesterday. I don't actually know why we signed him if we're going to play 433 and use him in midfield.
    Maybe he wants to play midfield and I wonder what he's been told prior to signing. 🤔 But yeah, we need to be better in the full back areas, for sure.

I don't know why managers these days see full backs as the main attacking option in a team. It's a weird one but I guess they know better than I.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Maybe he wants to play midfield and I wonder what he's been told prior to signing. �� But yeah, we need to be better in the full back areas, for sure.

I don't know why managers these days see full backs as the main attacking option in a team. It's a weird one but I guess they know better than I.
    It is can be very effective if you have the right personnel and system in place. What Liverpool do is when the 2 dynamic full backs bomb forward the defensive midfielders will plug the gap. The pay back is the attacking threat and crosses being fired in the box, which also pegs back the opposing team.

On Saturday we didn't do any of that. All that happened was our full backs being caught in no mans land neither an attacking threat or covering defence. Spartans played 2 up front in the first half and exploited well the 2 on 2's with the central defenders.

With nearly half a team of new players, early season rustiness it could take a bit of time for the players to fully understand what their roles are in the way JG wants them to play. The other explanation doesn't bear thinking about - they are just not good enough. I think it is probably somewhere in between.

Maybe he wants to play midfield and I wonder what he's been told prior to signing. �� But yeah, we need to be better in the full back areas, for sure.

Never mind what he was told, you do the job your employer gives you within the grounds of reason. He played rb last season so he can bloody well do it this season if required.

Maybe he wants to play midfield and I wonder what he's been told prior to signing. 🤔 But yeah, we need to be better in the full back areas, for sure.

He does, and he was told that, but as a three doesn't exactly make sense when he's a wide player.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    It is can be very effective if you have the right personnel and system in place.
    Which we don't and probably never will have. We all know it works for teams like Liverpool, but Liverpool we most definitely are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Never mind what he was told, you do the job your employer gives you within the grounds of reason. He played rb last season so he can bloody well do it this season if required.
    Player of the year at RB last season. I think we'll see him there before time. Goodwin lost patience with Freeman last season, hopefully he does the same this season.

Player of the year at RB last season. I think we'll see him there before time. Goodwin lost patience with Freeman last season, hopefully he does the same this season.
    Be handy if his patience ran out by tomorrow

Which we don't and probably never will have. We all know it works for teams like Liverpool, but Liverpool we most definitely are not.
    Indeed. It is all relative though. While we are most certainly not Liverpool, neither are our opponents Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd. Its a system that can work at any level of the game if the personnel at that level can do it and the players know how to play it.

Tam Courts had a system that worked quite well. It was very simple be very hard to score against. It is also incredibly boring to watch. We actually scored more league goals last season finishing bottom than we did finishing 4th the season before.

I'm glad JG intends to try to be more offensive and expansive. The jury is out though on whether it can be delivered. I have my worries but Saturday was too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    It is can be very effective if you have the right personnel and system in place. What Liverpool do is when the 2 dynamic full backs bomb forward the defensive midfielders will plug the gap. The pay back is the attacking threat and crosses being fired in the box, which also pegs back the opposing team.

On Saturday we didn't do any of that. All that happened was our full backs being caught in no mans land neither an attacking threat or covering defence. Spartans played 2 up front in the first half and exploited well the 2 on 2's with the central defenders.

With nearly half a team of new players, early season rustiness it could take a bit of time for the players to fully understand what their roles are in the way JG wants them to play. The other explanation doesn't bear thinking about - they are just not good enough. I think it is probably somewhere in between.
    Of course but McMann and Freeman aren't known for their crossing quality are they?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)