+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Partick

I don't think that we are a million miles off being semi decent..but I do think we need at least another 3 players in to get us there. If we go with this group, then I think mid table is a genuine position we will find ourselves in by January. I think we very much look like Inverness Caley when they dropped down. Hopefully the last 2 results will have shaken the owner enough to realise that he could sleepwalk into another season like last if he doesn't sanction some signings.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    It's why he doesn't give Rory much of a chance either. Neither like the dirty work. Glass just wants to do the fancy stuff and Rory just wants to sit up front and try and score goals. Both have lots of learning to do.
    I think the issue with Rory is nothing sticks when a ball is played upto him, he's not ready, a loan to a L2 team is what he needs

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    I don't think that we are a million miles off being semi decent..but I do think we need at least another 3 players in to get us there. If we go with this group, then I think mid table is a genuine position we will find ourselves in by January. I think we very much look like Inverness Caley when they dropped down. Hopefully the last 2 results will have shaken the owner enough to realise that he could sleepwalk into another season like last if he doesn't sanction some signings.
    what 3 ?

for me this defence will kill us, we need a RCB a RB and a LB before we look at anything else. you dont get out of the championship with the defence that played on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    what i found interesting was that he hooked glass at HT

Now he actually had a half decent assist and for him to be hooked at HT the manager must have seen something really bad in his first half display.

It must be his defensive work and without the ball stuff, to be fair I think it was non existent too and possibly explains why he couldn't get a game for cove last season.
    Going by his interviews I think these changes were more about getting game time in players legs. As crazy as that sound in cup games. He has already said that the team will be different again on Saturday to ensure this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Going by his interviews I think these changes were more about getting game time in players legs. As crazy as that sound in cup games. He has already said that the team will be different again on Saturday to ensure this.
    I think the in-game changes were tactical. As you've rightly said though, his starting elevens, and certainly the next two, are going to be about game time. Saying that, that's 5 games into pre-season now, with everyone getting game time. We could really do with finding a settled 11 prior to Arbroath.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We've played zero league matches and you have us in for a relegation fight and you think that realistic? ��
    Why wouldn't it be realistic? Unlikely? yeah! but absolutely possible. There was a collective fear about going down if we did not strengthen key positions in January and look what happened. There is now a collective fear about our current squad going into the season.

If I look at everything as a whole:

Losing trend (7) which is hard to break out of. None of those games were against good opposition
    Low confidence
    Average quality starting 11
    No depth whatsoever
    Manager that criticizes players already low on confidence (hes already started on Denham)
    Lost already to Spartans and at home to a team going through as much change as us and who happen to be in our league
    A fan base who want the owner out
    A fan base who are at best split on the manager, at worst want him out by larger % (of course we know we cant afford it and are stuck tho)
    A fan base who are already verbally attacking players after 45 mins mins of action
    A fan base who in all likilihood will be verbally aggressive from minute 1 of the season
    A squad of players who have shown time and time again that they fold under any form of scrutiny from fans (see above points of whats going to happen to them from min 1)

And today: A new signing already talking about what fans are saying online.

This is an absolute recipe for disaster, there is not 1 shred of feel good factor anywhere within the club right now but there is no chance of being down the bottom end?
    Last edited by the_arab; 20-07-2023 at 10:21 AM.

I have to admit, it did cross my mind Tuesday, could we be struggling at the wrong end of the table? Worst case scenario - super competitive league, a soft defence that concedes cheap goals, a raft of youngsters either not good enough or lightweight, no goals threat in the final third. I was more worried Tuesday than Saturday, weird as that sounds, because by all accounts we played better, but if you are soft at the back and can't score goals you aint winning games.

Deinham is already a concern, he looks to me like a decent player, but is he going to get up to speed asp with the physical nature? Because we can't afford over a season for him to be learning on the job, and the other two centre halves aren't great either, and the full backs just aren't good enough. Get Grimshaw at right back, and it might help Deinham. Keeper at least looks solid.

I think Goodwin is still searching for his best eleven, he needs to test these youngsters now, but support is already toxic from last season, so pressure to get results. I don't know if he is the man (kidding himself if he really thinks Watt is Lawrence Shankland mk2), but I don't think he is the problem either, I don't see anyone else coming in and turning that squad around with what we have at our disposal, it's just very average at best at the moment and urgently needs minimum 3-4 ready to go signings, which may come late in the window, it's going to come down to recruitment again. The fact we have an absent owner doesn't help, even if he is best intentioned. ET was a bit of a hopeless chairman, but he always had the pulse of the support and understood the issues even if he more often than not didn't have the answers.

Having let the dust settle on that disaster of a result, I am slightly more positive today. Ha.

It is still early days and there are problems however I did see some glimmers of hope. Fotheringham, Cudjoe, our new goalie, some of the passing. Defence needs to get their act together no doubt about it, midfield and hopefully Moult and Watt can gel.

And before I get jumped on for being slightly positive, I know we’ve been saying this for seasons, but hey we need to be a bit patient here. Let’s see how the first few league games go and get behind the team and club. Like we always do.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
    Having let the dust settle on that disaster of a result, I am slightly more positive today. Ha.

It is still early days and there are problems however I did see some glimmers of hope. Fotheringham, Cudjoe, our new goalie, some of the passing. Defence needs to get their act together no doubt about it, midfield and hopefully Moult and Watt can gel.

And before I get jumped on for being slightly positive, I know we’ve been saying this for seasons, but hey we need to be a bit patient here. Let’s see how the first few league games go and get behind the team and club. Like we always do.
    I actually agree. There were positives in terms of some of the midfield play and wingers. Glass, Mochrie and Meekison all looked keen to get the ball and look forward. All made mistakes but did look like they have quality to offer. We shouldn't be afraid to let them make mistakes. Better to try than to be over cautious. Sibbald makes a difference too I think. Fotheringham was direct and will have plenty to offer. Cudjoe clearly has potential but is very raw. Not sure if he will fulfil potential. Sadly Middleton made us worse when he came on. He needs to be more consistent this season or he brings no value. Moult clearly needs time to get sharp. Watt....who knows really.

All of the above is irrelevant though if we don't bolster the middle of the defence. Without that then we will always concede. Think the centre halves could be fine, although have made mistakes so far, but all would seem to need a leader beside them. Like how Webster made others better players by being beside them. Goalie seems competent but lack of a leader at centre half will be our undoing. Maybe a blessing though as surely JG cannot still be happy with what we have defensively. Surely we must look to bring more in in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I actually agree. There were positives in terms of some of the midfield play and wingers. Glass, Mochrie and Meekison all looked keen to get the ball and look forward. All made mistakes but did look like they have quality to offer. We shouldn't be afraid to let them make mistakes. Better to try than to be over cautious. Sibbald makes a difference too I think. Fotheringham was direct and will have plenty to offer. Cudjoe clearly has potential but is very raw. Not sure if he will fulfil potential. Sadly Middleton made us worse when he came on. He needs to be more consistent this season or he brings no value. Moult clearly needs time to get sharp. Watt....who knows really.

All of the above is irrelevant though if we don't bolster the middle of the defence. Without that then we will always concede. Think the centre halves could be fine, although have made mistakes so far, but all would seem to need a leader beside them. Like how Webster made others better players by being beside them. Goalie seems competent but lack of a leader at centre half will be our undoing. Maybe a blessing though as surely JG cannot still be happy with what we have defensively. Surely we must look to bring more in in that department.
    Agree 👍

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)