+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Partick

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Indeed. It is all relative though. While we are most certainly not Liverpool, neither are our opponents Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd. Its a system that can work at any level of the game if the personnel at that level can do it and the players know how to play it.

Tam Courts had a system that worked quite well. It was very simple be very hard to score against. It is also incredibly boring to watch. We actually scored more league goals last season finishing bottom than we did finishing 4th the season before.

I'm glad JG intends to try to be more offensive and expansive. The jury is out though on whether it can be delivered. I have my worries but Saturday was too early to tell.
    I'd rather bore our way out of this division than deliver free flowing football against Arbroath again the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Maybe he wants to play midfield and I wonder what he's been told prior to signing. �� But yeah, we need to be better in the full back areas, for sure.

I don't know why managers these days see full backs as the main attacking option in a team. It's a weird one but I guess they know better than I.
    Someone said to me before the match Grimashaw wanted to play midfield, like you I'm wondering if true we agreed to that in desperation with the acknowledgment he could cover elsewhere if required, all speculation on my part. Would be far better at right back. We also need to know what is happening with Behich, how can it take that long for a decision to be made? If as expected he is moving on, and Goodwin doesn't rate Flynn Duffy, then we are toiling at left back, McMann should be squad cover and no more.

I think Goodwin decided to start what he feels was his first eleven on Saturday, why else would you start with two defensive mids against Spartans.

I'm still hopeful we will get quite a few players in late, Spartans on their day could probably beat most teams in our league due to the lack of quality, Killie and Dundee got up despite being stinking past couple of seasons due to lack of an outstanding team in the championship, that is prob our best hope too at the moment, if someone manages to string a good season together we could be struggling again, I'm not not in total panic mode yet, as feel this cup comes too early and is almost pre-season, first game v Arbroath the important one, unfortunately a few more bad results in cup which is very possible, will heap pressure and negativity. As someone else mentioned, it does have a bit of a Ray McKinnon, Laslo period feel about it.

we're also doomed if we are relying on Tony Watt to be our main man and score goals.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    Someone said to me before the match Grimashaw wanted to play midfield, like you I'm wondering if true we agreed to that in desperation with the acknowledgment he could cover elsewhere if required, all speculation on my part. Would be far better at right back. We also need to know what is happening with Behich, how can it take that long for a decision to be made? If as expected he is moving on, and Goodwin doesn't rate Flynn Duffy, then we are toiling at left back, McMann should be squad cover and no more.

I think Goodwin decided to start what he feels was his first eleven on Saturday, why else would you start with two defensive mids against Spartans.

I'm still hopeful we will get quite a few players in late, Spartans on their day could probably beat most teams in our league due to the lack of quality, Killie and Dundee got up despite being stinking past couple of seasons due to lack of an outstanding team in the championship, that is prob our best hope too at the moment, if someone manages to string a good season together we could be struggling again, I'm not not in total panic mode yet, as feel this cup comes too early and is almost pre-season, first game v Arbroath the important one, unfortunately a few more bad results in cup which is very possible, will heap pressure and negativity. As someone else mentioned, it does have a bit of a Ray McKinnon, Laslo period feel about it.
    We have got players in early! The summer transfer window is open for over six weeks still. The timing of the League Cup group stages is piss poor and a huge advantage to smaller clubs.

we're also doomed if we are relying on Tony Watt to be our main man and score goals.
    Yeah, totally agree.

Can’t be certain but was Grimshaw natural position a midfielder?? , know Morton used him at full back presumably as was the best they had , like us I suppose

Someone said to me before the match Grimashaw wanted to play midfield, like you I'm wondering if true we agreed to that in desperation with the acknowledgment he could cover elsewhere if required, all speculation on my part.
    I really hope we weren't that 'desperate' to sign him that we promised him midfield instead of right back. He's hardly Trent Alexander-Arnold. 😂 I get your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I really hope we weren't that 'desperate' to sign him that we promised him midfield instead of right back. He's hardly Trent Alexander-Arnold. 😂 I get your point though.

More like Kevin Arnold from the wonder years on Saturday. So immobile and stiff

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I really hope we weren't that 'desperate' to sign him that we promised him midfield instead of right back. He's hardly Trent Alexander-Arnold. �� I get your point though.
    I'm sure he said at his interview that he's looking forward to playing in midfield but is happy to play wherever he's asked

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    I'm sure he said at his interview that he's looking forward to playing in midfield but is happy to play wherever he's asked
    Yeah, that's exactly what he said.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)