+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction League 2023-2024

Prediction League 2023-2024

It's that time of the year again to roll out the Rules for the forthcoming Prediction League (PL) football season for 2023-2024.

Thank you to those that suggested a few tweaks and suggestions, two of which I have inputted to freshen up the scoring and ending the season earlier than the last one. If you entered last season, you will recognise the repeated format. Again it's a simple formula to follow and complete, all in just a few minutes.

Predictions

1. The Prediction League will run from Saturday 5th August 2023 to Saturday 4th May 2024 and not for a specified number of weeks. If you miss any weeks for any reason, no one can be held accountable for this. This rule applies to everyone who enters before the new season starts so is fair across the board. This decision is final.

2. You will be choosing from 10/10 fixtures like last season. This is an easy concept to work from. Simply mark each game as a home win H, an away win A or a score draw as X

3. The fixtures will be a chosen variation from: The Premiership, Championship, Leagues 1 & 2, National League, Scottish Premiership, FA Cup and the League Cup, whoever the sponsors may be . This is in order to have a full 10 fixtures to choose from all on the same day. Easier to pick from and not running over several days. (No Friday nights or Sunday games some predictors might miss)

4.There will be a maximum of 5 draws allowed from your 10 predictions. If you want to gamble each week on 5 draws paying more points then go ahead but, that isn't always the case.

5. Predict a score. Just simply predict the score only, from a randomly selected game, this will be posted at the foot of the page below the normal ten predictions. If you predict a correct score draw, this will not mean you get an extra 3 points for the draw.

Hopefully, all the fixtures I post go ahead but, I will not be changing any once I have posted them. This is in case I am not able to make contact with anyone who may well have posted early in the week, and they don't revisit the site until the fixtures have been played on the day and are unable to amend their predictions.

The Scoring of Points:

1. Each fixture carries the following scoring. You will receive 1 point for a home win, 2 points for an away win and 3 points if you predict a draw. This concept allows higher scoring if you successfully predict them correct, thus making the table more competitive.

2. Get all 10/10 predictions correct and you will gain a further 20 bonus points. This is very hard to predict but has been achieved before.

3. Predict a score. Get this correct and you will receive an extra 2 points. Also as an added bonus for this coming season, should there be no weekly winner(s), it will roll over until someone does get the prediction correct. So a follow on week would score 4 points and 2 points added each week etc until it is won. This happened on a few occasions last season so, should this occur, there should be a good few extra points to be had.

4. The Jokers. Again, two 'Jokers' will be allowed per person. One Joker MUST be played before 31st December 2023. You cannot carry it over to the New Year. Don't use it you lose it! You may play your second Joker anytime after the 1st January 2024 up to the final set of predictions on Saturday 4th May 2024.

This coming season, any Joker played will only have their score applied after all the prediction scores have been tallied. It has been duly noted and deemed unfair that someone playing their Joker, who has a mediocre week can 'pinch' the weekly win bonus off someone who has had a good or great week. In other words you get to double your score playing your Joker but it does not apply to gaining the weekly win bonus should your score finish higher. The Joker only doubles your score and nothing else.

I will keep tabs on a weekly basis who has played their Joker and will look to keep others up to date who haven't so, they don't forget to use them in time.

5. Highest scorer(s) on the day will receive an extra 5 bonus points. This is on predictions only and does not include the Predict a Score bonus.

I think we're coming up to our 20th year of running the Prediction League (PL), which I think is great to see and long may it continue. Last season we had a strong entry board and I believe only one person dropped out for all the season. It would be good if all last years entrants were to to give it a try again.

Furthermore, I know a lot of you have looked in from time to time but have not taken part. The main thing is it is purely for fun as you pit your skill, wisdom, luck whatever you want to call it against so called fellow Managers/Pundits/ forecasters etc.

It takes all of 5 minutes tops to copy and paste the fixtures and add your predictions and Predict a Score.
    Go on give it a go and look to be the new Prediction League Champion for next season.

I've no idea just how many may wish to enter this coming season but, I will cap it at 40 just in case.....wishful thinking but you never know as this is open to anyone. Good luck to all who do wish to take part, the first set of new fixtures will be posted in due course.

The format will look like this example:

Sat 4th May

Villa v Man City
    Brentford v Spurs
    Brighton v Man Utd
    Leeds v Weds
    Cardiff Swansea
    Plymouth v Ipswich
    Blackpool v Wigan
    Derby v Barnsley
    Doncsater v Harrogate
    Mansfield v Morecambe

Predict a score = Notts County v Wrexham ? - ?

Good luck to all who wish to enter

Thanks Brin.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 18-07-2023 at 04:04 PM.

Excellent, Brin, and looking forward to it.

The good thing about the format is that, even if you’re languishing somewhere near the bottom, you can get some good scores and work your way back up. Last season I was in the bottom quarter for many weeks and going nowhere. I finished up working my way back and coming second.

The introduction of a predict the score rollover will add another opportunity for a big points haul and a move up the table.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Excellent, Brin, and looking forward to it.

The good thing about the format is that, even if you’re languishing somewhere near the bottom, you can get some good scores and work your way back up. Last season I was in the bottom quarter for many weeks and going nowhere. I finished up working my way back and coming second.

The introduction of a predict the score rollover will add another opportunity for a big points haul and a move up the table.
    Glad to hear you're giving it another go Sir. You did indeed prove to be a worthy runner up with your late surge....take note CAM

Count me in. Good work Brin

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post

The good thing about the format is that, even if you’re languishing somewhere near the bottom, you can get some good scores and work your way back up. .
    Not with brin doing the scoring you.cant 😉

Recount

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Not with brin doing the scoring you.cant 😉

Recount
    .....try to give it a good crack this coming season pal. Then I can say I beat you fair and square

Sat 4th May

Villa v Man City A
    Brentford v Spurs X
    Brighton v Man Utd X
    Leeds v Weds H
    Cardiff Swansea H
    Plymouth v Ipswich X
    Blackpool v Wigan H
    Derby v Barnsley X
    Doncsater v Harrogate H
    Mansfield v Morecambe X

Predict a score = Notts County 2 v 2 Wrexham

[QUOTE=thaimillerfan;40324484 Just practing Brin looking forward to
    the challenge.

Villa v Manchester City
    Brentford DRAW Spurs
    Brighton v Manchester Utd
    Leeds United v Weds
    Cardiff City DRAW Swansea City
    Plymouth v Ipswich Town
    Blackpool v Wigan
    Derby County v Barnsley
    Doncaster Rovers v Harrogate
    Mansfield DRAW Morecambe

Predict a score = Notts County 1 - 2 Wrexham

Due to technical difficulties, the new updated table will now be posted tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast