+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The answer?

The answer?

Not contributed since Xmas as I have been in a state of transcendental meditation and I think I have found the answer.

Using ideas on the site I think I have developed a new strategy to help the Alex.
    First of all scrap RH and all the coaches and staff there. The money saved would be immense (though the subsidy we get would also go) and possibly go towards buying more players

We wouldn’t use the Gresty Road pitch for practicing as we will scrap all coaching programmes as we don’t need them as the players don’t need coaching as they will be good enough.

Start at 10 finish at 12. This will give the players plenty of time to rest and be ready for the games.
    They will have to do a few laps around the pitch to keep in trim. Any time left they can play 5 a side on the car park if they can find space or go to the George playing fields. This will be Tuesday to Friday, however on Thursday and Friday they will just have to pretend to have a ball. Saving the ball so that they will be hungry for it when the League game starts.
    For further savings we will only have a manager as any reserve players can be trusted to have a kick about in the car park. Also the manager can also act as the bucket man and run on the pitch if there is an injury. Ice cold water of course as that was good enough in the 60s. A site of that bucket made players instantly say they were fine. A further saving would be to get the manager’s wife to wash the kit.

I think that I know the ideal person for that role, way over qualified but we could always ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    I think that I know the ideal person for that role, way over qualified but we could always ask.
    Scrap the away kit too, even with a colour clash.
    Scrap the stewards, we never needed them in the olden days.
    Start every game in the mornings, no need for those new fangled floodlights.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Well, mocking is a great idea but I have to say based on my 60 odd years watching the Alex, the players were far more skilled than now as they didn't need a practise/coaching non entity telling them how to play as they were signed as good players who KNEW how to play football. The very best manager around in the sixties was Bill Nicholson of Spurs and he won the FA Cup and the League title and only him managing the team and he was also the manager of the club and all that went on. Yep, you scoff but we have loads of coaches, loads of managers and an expensive training set up and yet?

We cannot play football and lucky to have a couple of chances on goal and NOW you experts on here...If you think this is progress from the days we won the world cup and never ever been in a final with billions spent on coaching, you are a better man than me, Gunga Din!

One manager and one trainer with a cold sponge is all they needed. Now its great if our players can play in two matches without getting injured....Not many will know Frank ? who played for Crewe, then Chelsea and England and he cleaned his own football boots and worked in a paper shop in the week. He was on about a tenner a week...Now players get 360 grand a week. Work that out if you can? Now you tell me who that was?

You call this progress, I call it cobblers..

Well you ought to know. (D**n, broke my resolution not to .....)

Your memory is going Mike, Frank Blunstone is who you mean and ironically he used to coach a local Sunday league side who also had a manager and a spongeman, a bit excessive! My memory is going aswell because I cannot remember the name of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Your memory is going Mike, Frank Blunstone is who you mean and ironically he used to coach a local Sunday league side who also had a manager and a spongeman, a bit excessive! My memory is going as well because I cannot remember the name of the team.
    Yes, well done, it was Frank Blunstone and I remembered it a little later but left it to see whether anyone else can recall him. I never saw him play at Crewe but he was a tiny tot really and he must have been a great footballer to get to Chelsea and play for England. Actually Frank played against us when we beat them at Stamford Bridge many moons ago in the FA cup. What a great day out that was...You know, no matter how good we thought we were with an academy, we never ever beat a PL club..says it all really..

I played golf with Frank and he took some beating. 5 down against two others with 6 to play and we won the next 6...

No, All teams had a manager and not much else with my memory. I just ask what is the purpose of an Asst Manager, never mind when we have three of them, how that affects the opinion of the main man on match days? The manager has almost nothing to do other than on match days and so he can see any of his squad on those days and make his own mind up who to play on the Sat..

Not just that MFC, most local team managers had full time jobs as well as taking time out at the weekends..

Football is far too cosy nowadays...and far too many low ability coaches who would not have a job without football. I suppose that is a good thing if I am being charitable but low wages they would be on..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 19-07-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Energy wise it makes more sense to play matches during the daylight...Football is the last thing you would play if there was a blackout due to little power around. We didn't have floodlights for most of our period and so why do we need them now...Now a new pitch would be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Well, mocking is a great idea but I have to say based on my 60 odd years watching the Alex, the players were far more skilled than now as they didn't need a practise/coaching non entity telling them how to play as they were signed as good players who KNEW how to play football. The very best manager around in the sixties was Bill Nicholson of Spurs and he won the FA Cup and the League title and only him managing the team and he was also the manager of the club and all that went on. Yep, you scoff but we have loads of coaches, loads of managers and an expensive training set up and yet?

We cannot play football and lucky to have a couple of chances on goal and NOW you experts on here...If you think this is progress from the days we won the world cup and never ever been in a final with billions spent on coaching, you are a better man than me, Gunga Din!
    I don't see how this is mockery. You don't see the need for coaches and RH, your suggestions so can you suggest where the players train? No coaches you said but the players will need somewhere to run to keep fit.
    I think we should extend the idea and inform athletes, tennis and golf players that they don't need their coaches as they are good enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast