+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Newish Pie View Post
    I'm not sure what I think about the term "Gammons".
    It's a term I sometimes used based on the amusing stereotype definition:

An old conservative Englishman who bickers on about minorities instead of helping solve the country's issues. The sort who goes red in the face with anger at the perceived erosion of "their" type of Britain. The kind of person who thinks that flour is a spice, that there's too many Spaniards in Spain, and they "Don't want any of that foreign muck" when abroad instead only eating Sausage and Chips. The sort who reserve the right to move anywhere in the world, but don't want any "bloody foreigners" in our country.

There are still quite a few about, but their numbers are diminishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I agree Starmer isn’t the most inspiring of characters, but I would really prefer to judge him on what he does in government rather than what he says in opposition.
    Tory Blair and Epsteins mate are pulling the strings of Sir Kid Starver…

https://youtu.be/mDaY6K5A2qI

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It's a term I sometimes used based on the amusing stereotype definition:

An old conservative Englishman who bickers on about minorities instead of helping solve the country's issues. The sort who goes red in the face with anger at the perceived erosion of "their" type of Britain. The kind of person who thinks that flour is a spice, that there's too many Spaniards in Spain, and they "Don't want any of that foreign muck" when abroad instead only eating Sausage and Chips. The sort who reserve the right to move anywhere in the world, but don't want any "bloody foreigners" in our country.

There are still quite a few about, but their numbers are diminishing.
    My wife is from Singapore, she gets called a Banana. Is that an amusing stereotype or is it racist?

I see no difference in using one or the other, they are both aimed at the target based on their race.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    My wife is from Singapore, she gets called a Banana. Is that an amusing stereotype or is it racist?

I see no difference in using one or the other, they are both aimed at the target based on their race.
    I see a distinct difference. If your wife is called a banana simply because of the colour of her skin, I would class that as racist. While the gammon reference pertains to the colour their skin would go when angry, it's more related to it going that colour because of their bigoted political views rather than them simply having white skin. My skin goes a red colour when I play squash for an hour. Your skin and mine might go red when we are extremely angry when Macauley Langstaff is denied a blatant penalty. Neither of us would be gammons, because the stereotype is only based on the colour their skin goes when accompanied by xenophobic political views. It only tends to apply to white people because if you have a dark skin colour, the redness would not be apparent!

It's based on bigotry not race, if I thought it was racist I wouldn't use it.

In regard to people believing what the leave campaign said, then that might be right but did they bother to look into it? Did they not listen to most of the top business brains and economists saying it's going to go badly wrong? Not think it's a mistake to make it harder and more expensive to do business with the customer who accounts for 85%? Listen to the US say we're at the back on any trade deals? Risk becoming isolated? Realise that most of the immigrants they don't like (brown people) aren't from the EU and leaving it will make EU countries less agreeable to working with us to stem the flow? Let tories decimate our long standing right to protest? Our big part and then exit of most of the human bill of rights? The standards for our seas and rivers given to us from the EU to dump massive loads of ****? Or did they read the side of a bus.

I said before Brexit on here, if it goes tits up, then you won't find one leaver admitting they were wrong. No it's all the left, EUs, tory deals, not proper Brexit, a global cabals fault. Whilst everyone gets mad at someone throwing glitter at a snooker or tennis match (instead of getting mad at their message, which is correct, not being acted upon) then maybe they should realise just what the tories and Brexit have done. Yes covid but other countries seem to be bouncing back as they're part of the EU. Even covid was an unmitigated disaster, from parties and positive patients to care homes. FFS we're an island, we had a chance to really control it much better and limit incoming positive patients but no we did that too slowly as well. Absolute jokers. And Magpie I respect your views, they're yours but on Truss, she caused issues that ruined people's lives in regard to mortgages so let's not talk to pretend she was undone cause she wanted to go her own way, the markets and our economic standing in the world were not ready for that and as PM and KK it was their job to know that.

And I actually agree, most parties are much like each other once they get in power regarding promises but even a cautious Starmer can't do as bad a job as this lot have done. There's a serious brain drain at the top now, RS can't even be arsed to show his face in PMQs as he knows it's all a **** show.

Top business brains and banks have been been wildly wrong with their economic forecasts for years now and couldn't apparently see the crash
    coming in 2008, yeh ok. It is a bit like all those eminent scientists that got covid so wrong. We are at the back of the US trade deals purely because Sleepy Joe hate Britain, but he hasn't got a clue why lol.
    I think even the most staunch Remainer would have to agree that Brexit has never had a chance to work, given all that has gone on in the world since. I also think the closeness of the referendum result tells you that Brexit was never going to be a huge success or a huge disaster, if it had been given a level playing field to start from. With covid and the war in Ukraine, it has been an open goal for Remainers to rubbish Brexit.
    I don't see where the Tories have decimated long standing rights to protest, judging by the sh!t show going off with Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion etc. In the past protests were either outside the Houses of Parliament, where it has to be said, is the best place for people with a point to prove to get their message over, or on previously agreed marches with the Police and authorities, which is fair enough. Now people are allowed to disrupt ordinary members of the public, going about their everyday business, while the Police are drinking tea somewhere, maybe wearing rainbow coloured helmets. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Brexit has never had a chance to work, given all that has gone on in the world since. I also think the closeness of the referendum result tells you that Brexit was never going to be a huge success or a huge disaster.
    Rubbish, Brexit has definitely been a huge disaster. You can blame Covid and the Ukraine war if you wish, but it's not only affected us. Every other country has had to cope with both, and they have coped a lot better than we have. For a level playing field look at the G7 economies. All of them have recovered to pre-Covid levels apart from us and Germany. I don't know why Germany have been poor, but we have been poor due to an utterly incompetent government and the millstone of Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by GranthamPie View Post
    Tory Blair and Epsteins mate are pulling the strings of Sir Kid Starver…

https://youtu.be/mDaY6K5A2qI
    We can pull out YouTube videos until the cows come home, who would you prefer to be the next PM, Starmer or the next arsehole the Tories choose? I know there are Corbynites who prefer the Tories.

I hate the fact that we’re not a Scandinavian style social democracy but until the right wing press are destroyed you’ve got to take the wins where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    We can pull out YouTube videos until the cows come home, who would you prefer to be the next PM, Starmer or the next arsehole the Tories choose? I know there are Corbynites who prefer the Tories.

I hate the fact that we’re not a Scandinavian style social democracy but until the right wing press are destroyed you’ve got to take the wins where you can.
    You really need to see someone about your anger issues… you’ve used the words ‘arseholes’, ‘hate’ and ‘destroyed’ in one post not good or balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    You really need to see someone about your anger issues… you’ve used the words ‘arseholes’, ‘hate’ and ‘destroyed’ in one post not good or balanced.
    But are you reading those words how you want to read them, or how they are actually meant?

It's just that today a term I used to take the piss out of racists was construed as a racist post by someone else!

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast