+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pish gigs

Pish gigs

Jist got hame fae a wee punk festival ...... Ah thought we were pish .... but folk oot front tellt us different ... Aside tho .... has onybody oot there gone tae a gig wi' great expectations ..... and come awa thinkin ... "'at wis pish!" .. ?

Ah'd start ... but Ah fear, iif Ah did, Ah'd nivver finish

Well, remembering just how many bands we used to go and see, I would say for every 100, 50 were pish, 30 were decent, 15 were bloody good and 5 were spectacular.

Mind you, that's coming from someone who couldn't play the recorder at school once it involved both hands.

I've seen Bowie twice, disappointed baith times.
    I used to love The Gaslight Anthem, live three times bang average once, poor the other twice.
    During my ****age metal years I saw plenty gash gigs, too many to list.

Of course I used to go and see heaps of new start up bands so the expectations weren't that high in the first place.

Best I ever saw of a band I'd never heard of were The Special AKA , Ruffles on a Tuesday night just before they became a household name.

What a sound.

I was the right age for Britpop, so I saw some amount of shyte. Good fun though.

Worst I’ve seen were the Bluetones.

Couple of weeks ago I took a mini break to see PP Arnold in Manchester, Liverpool and Carlisle.

Same set each night and decent band (Craddock was otherwise engaged). Manchester and Carlisle were very good, but Liverpool was tragic. A cold, square warehouse, Hangar 34. They laid out chairs in the middle of the room, there was about 70 folk there and it had the feel of a care home day out. Spoke to the drummer the next night and he conceded that it had been somewhat devoid of atmosphere, despite their best efforts.

Have to say that generally these days I rarely think that I get a bad gig, most artistes are professional enough. I can think of one or two duff ones, Ceelo Green being one (accompanying daughter) and Bob Dylan, but then we all knew he was going to butcher his songs and mumble all the way through.

Don't get me started on the utter c*nts that spoil things by talking through gigs. On the spot extra judicial execution should be legalised for these people.