+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Fife on Tuesday

East Fife on Tuesday

Good result away today against Elgin City with East Fife next up this coming Tuesday however the sending of of McClelland will require a replacement centre back which may stretch the current squad but I trust Bartley implicitly. Mon the South 👏👏

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Good result away today against Elgin City with East Fife next up this coming Tuesday however the sending of of McClelland will require a replacement centre back which may stretch the current squad but I trust Bartley implicitly. Mon the South ����
    Mr Bartley in today's Standard admits that with the two suspended he is short of senior players and is trying to get someone in but if not the team still have enough young guys to go forward with what we have. Big Holty would have been perfect at centre - half but I did not realise he had joined Dundee and netted 2 penalties in only 3 minutes on Saturday
    Last edited by Ftivano1; 25-07-2023 at 10:16 AM.

Efe Ambrose signed to the end of the year to ease the central defense issues in the short term. Looking at his last few clubs I am not sure what to make of this but finger's crossed that he is the commanding senior figure many have called for.

Quite a surprise signing!

According to Marvin he was short on experience in defence, - well with Ambrose he's got that in spades. He's also very tall and strong, - so as long as he's fit, - he could be a good fit!

Obviously he won't be match fit, - but Cochrane didn't look match fit either.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Quite a surprise signing!

According to Marvin he was short on experience in defence, - well with Ambrose he's got that in spades. He's also very tall and strong, - so as long as he's fit, - he could be a good fit!

Obviously he won't be match fit, - but Cochrane didn't look match fit either.
    Been talked about quite a lot in the close season as he is a pal of big Marvin and they have also been seen together taking in games.

I wondered that..................could be an interesting double act!

Ambrose should be a good signing for Queens. Obviously past his best at his age but he's a class act, if a bit of a bombscare at times. Should stroll League 1.

Well the take away from last evening is that possession alone does not win you matches. We were far too deep for the bulk of the game ,sorely missing Cochrane, and the early threat came from Walker on the wing who was prepared to beat men until East Fife wised up and double marked him effectively so much that he was replaced at half time. Credit must be given to the Fifers who hassled and harried our players for the whole game. I didn't think that they would be able to maintain that but they did, but we needed to get the ball forward quicker and generally play higher up the pitch.
    As for the sending off surely there was a covering player in Ambrose so it was never a clear goal scoring opportunity and a yellow for a cynical tackle by McGuffie should have been the correct decision. It's not the scoring of penalties that has cost us but the 5 out of 5 that have been converted against us that has cost us the extra bonus point in both home ties.
    Looking at last nights bench there was no obvious replacements available to have changed the shape of the team when it was desperately need so hopefully those missing through injury will be back sooner than later and we need to cut out the indiscipline resulting in suspensions as the squad is stretched enough as it is. Hopefully this is just another learning point for Marvin as he starts his managerial adventure.

I was extremely disappointed for the fans who turned out in considerable numbers last night, - expecting a bit more after the highs of last Tuesday.

Yes, it was unreasonable to expect the same high tempo, - but God it was boring watching Ambrose pass yet another ball back to the keeper - surely someone of his experience has a little more to offer in terms of creativity?
    As Spike has already mentioned we played far too deep to cause the Fifers any problems, - and they were quite content to head for penalties, - knowing their squad had them well practiced plus a 'keeper who was delighted to face them, - and who taunted every Queen's player ahead of their kick.

I will accept the criticisms of others who suggested I was far too premature to hail the team and the manager, - but Marvin must aim for the same level of effort that was displayed against Motherwell, - otherwise the fans will simply drift away. To use the swallow analogy, - they will fly off to Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle rather than watch a dreary, passing game across the back 4, while Riley and co run themselves ragged waiting for the telling pass that no-one ever makes!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I was extremely disappointed for the fans who turned out in considerable numbers last night, - expecting a bit more after the highs of last Tuesday.

Yes, it was unreasonable to expect the same high tempo, - but God it was boring watching Ambrose pass yet another ball back to the keeper - surely someone of his experience has a little more to offer in terms of creativity?
    As Spike has already mentioned we played far too deep to cause the Fifers any problems, - and they were quite content to head for penalties, - knowing their squad had them well practiced plus a 'keeper who was delighted to face them, - and who taunted every Queen's player ahead of their kick.

I will accept the criticisms of others who suggested I was far too premature to hail the team and the manager, - but Marvin must aim for the same level of effort that was displayed against Motherwell, - otherwise the fans will simply drift away. To use the swallow analogy, - they will fly off to Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle rather than watch a dreary, passing game across the back 4, while Riley and co run themselves ragged waiting for the telling pass that no-one ever makes!
    Nice to see our Doonhamer - born and ex - player Pat Slattery still playing for East Fife as I well remember he was a lad that you really liked and praised years ago Jardi (he is now 30)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)