+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Benfica 0 Burnley 2

Benfica 0 Burnley 2

Name:  A8C8DED0-0F1C-4C21-AD78-028870C80E64.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  21.9 KB

Vamos Burnley! Sempre Juntos!

Gents, attended the game with only a sparse following of Clarets. Not the main Benfica stadium sadly, this was having various works needing completion. Not keen on the build up to the game with loud could only call it pop music. Then the announcer read out the teams, and I caught Rodriguez and Gudmondssen out of the eleven, and managed to pick up that McNally and Franchi were amongst the subs.
    The game started and Benfica were on the front foot for the first 20 mins. Then the Clarets got a grip of it, and apart from a great triple save from Muric when a goal seemed certain, we went in at half time looking comfortable.
    Changes at half time, and we looked even more solid. Our hosts had little time on the ball in midfield as it was quickly stripped back. Our defence was solid making blocks when needed. We scored from a move which came from the right and finished up on our left where Our player cut in alla Benson and stuck the ball inside the near post. I didn’t have a great view and didn’t know the scorer was Dodgson. I missed the second due to a comfort break. Sat down with my mate who to my surprise informed me we had doubled the lead. Benfica had one main chance in the 2nd half with striker clean through but his shot across Muric was saved by a his long leg. That was job done. A good win. Special mention to Andros Townsend who did really well all night and looks like he deserves a contract. Only a friendly and Benfica are Portuguese Champions with a fervent backing of 10k plus fans, so very encouraging.
    Dave B.
    Last edited by wmdave_b; 26-07-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmdave_b View Post
    Gents, attended the game with only a sparse following of Clarets. Not the main Benfica stadium sadly, this was having various works needing completion. Not keen on the build up to the game with loud could only call it pop music. Then the announcer read out the teams, and I caught Rodriguez and Gudmondssen out of the eleven, and managed to pick up that McNally and Franchi were amongst the subs.
    The game started and Benfica were on the front foot for the first 20 mins. Then the Clarets got a grip of it, and apart from a great triple save from Muric when a goal seemed certain, we went in at half time looking comfortable.
    Changes at half time, and we looked even more solid. Our hosts had little time on the ball in midfield as it was quickly stripped back. Our defence was solid making blocks when needed. We scored from a move which came from the right and finished up on our left where Our player cut in alla Benson and stuck the ball inside the near post. I didn’t have a great view and didn’t know the scorer was Dodgson. I missed the second due to a comfort break. Sat down with my mate who to my surprise informed me we had doubled the lead. Benfica had one main chance in the 2nd half with striker clean through but his shot across Muric was saved by a his long leg. That was job done. A good win. Special mention to Andros Townsend who did really well all night and looks like he deserves a contract. Only a friendly and Benfica are Portuguese Champions with a fervent backing of 10k plus fans, so very encouraging.
    Dave B.
    Thanks for the "On the spot" summary wmdave, back here we could live stream it on Portuguese TV for nothing. I thought we were terrific and I hope you enjoyed the experience.

Were there any travelling Clarets in attendance and if so was Weghorst booed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Thanks for the "On the spot" summary wmdave, back here we could live stream it on Portuguese TV for nothing. I thought we were terrific and I hope you enjoyed the experience.

Were there any travelling Clarets in attendance and if so was Weghorst booed?
    Thanks wmdave for your match summary.

Guys
    We were sat amongst the home support. Saw other Burnley shirts in that section but impossible to gauge numbers. There appeared to be 20 or so sat in an away area across from us. Best I Can say, and you’re welcome.

No noticeable booing of Weggy BT

Quote Originally Posted by wmdave_b View Post
    No noticeable booing of Weggy BT
    Good!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)