+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Would you use a new message board

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- New Message Board

O/T:- New Message Board

Thought this was worth its own thread.
    As we all know, this place is like a snail sometimes (slow and leaves a white trail behind! ) and on another thread, Queenslandpie indicated if the support was there, he would consider starting up and hosting a new MB.

Personally I reckon this is a good shout.
    We know the issues here and we all still visit
    I reckon PoN is good, but too agreeable sometimes.

A faster board with a larger team of mods rather than Swale having to referee the usual suspects might work in everyone’s favour.

BUT

It’s pointless anyone spending time and resources if everyone reckons it’s not worth it. Thoughts?

I would certainly move to a quicker board, especially if it had less ads cluttering the screen.

Well Whaddya know? It’s speeded up!

I should say I would have to research it a trifle first. I have never built a message board but I am sure there is some standard software / plug ins. It would also cost me to host it so you need to click on all the ads please. But yes it has speeded up lol.

I’ve created maybe 3 different message boards in the last 4 or 5 years because people were moaning about this one. Never had more than a dozen or so sign up and maybe two or three posting stuff, they never took off.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I’ve created maybe 3 different message boards in the last 4 or 5 years because people were moaning about this one. Never had more than a dozen or so sign up and maybe two or three posting stuff, they never took off.
    Totally get this. It’ll be a hard task persuading people to move over tbh. Having a board which isn’t frequented is pointless. I know Pride of Nottingham struggled a fair bit for a long time. Really it’ll be an all or nothing I think. When people are forced to post, just to keep views up…pointless.

Plus as Queenslandpie said, the financial impact needs considering. To host costs £££ and adverts are the trade off. Without them it comes out of someone’s pocket and that can’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I should say I would have to research it a trifle first. I have never built a message board but I am sure there is some standard software / plug ins. It would also cost me to host it so you need to click on all the ads please. But yes it has speeded up lol.
    The idea is a good one mate, but I think it’ll be more trouble than it’s worth as the hosting fees alone will be a stumbling block. Without click throughs…it won’t work unless it becomes a subscription thing and frankly, people will pay it, until they don’t then the whole thing falls down.

Leaving a slow board with ads that we don’t pay for…for a faster and better board with ads that need to be clicked to survive…horse to water and all that…

It’s worth leaving the poll out there for a few days, but it’ll be a struggle I reckon.

This idea comes up every so often.
    Unless this one goes down people will stick to this one.
    V!t@l would be the best alternative as I think a fair few other clubs still use that so we'd probably get a decent amount of interaction with fans of other teams, which we used to get here.

I'd say stick with this one for the time being. It's bloody annoying when it nods off, but it's running ok at the moment for me. Also, it would be difficult to get everyone to migrate en masse to a new board, so I think we'd end up with two half-boards. I'm signed up on PON but very rarely post these days, I might copy my match ratings from here and stick them on there as well, but that's about it. PON has some good stuff on it, but it's designed to be a community board. Good for those who like that sort of thing, but I prefer a typical 'warts and all' footy board.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    The idea is a good one mate, but I think it’ll be more trouble than it’s worth as the hosting fees alone will be a stumbling block. Without click throughs…it won’t work unless it becomes a subscription thing and frankly, people will pay it, until they don’t then the whole thing falls down.

Leaving a slow board with ads that we don’t pay for…for a faster and better board with ads that need to be clicked to survive…horse to water and all that…

It’s worth leaving the poll out there for a few days, but it’ll be a struggle I reckon.
    The hosting fees wont be a hassle I am happy to wear the cost and I have a couple of mates who do hosting who will look after me so dont worry about that. Although it may need hosting in the UK not here for latency reasons. It was kind of tongue in cheek but whatever I am sure I could knock something up if I had to. Probably less feature rich though. As upthemagpies rightly says people will probably stick to this one anyway. Anyway back to Australia Canada. I am hoping Australia win this game but Nigeria also win and if England win their group then I have 3 tickets already purchased for England Australia in Brisbane next Monday. Cross your fingers for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast