+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup (2023-24)

FA Cup (2023-24)

Almost missed the start but just in time to put on our first curse of the season. The Extra Preliminary Round begins tonight and over the next few days more than 400 teams will start out on their journey with hopes of making it to Wembley in May 2024. So who do we pick as our first victim. I'm going with Barnoldswick Town of the NW Counties league who entertain Handsworth at 3pm tomorrow.

Barnoldswick (reminds me of Ripping Yarns Barnstoneworth United) is now in Lancashire but in actual fact lies in the old West Riding Of Yorkshire. Know as 'Town' they play their games at Greenberfield Lane and have a record attendance of 691. Only player of note to ever represent them is Michael Holt who also played for PNE and Rochdale in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

For those looking for a good night's sleep before the long hard season gets underway, Baroldswick is the home of Silentnight beds.

Come on 'Town'!

Won 3-1 No curse yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Won 3-1 No curse yet.
    Quite a shock. Can they make it all the way? Their next hurdle comes on August 19th with a long trip to Whitchurch Alport in Shropshire who play in the Midland League.

First and foremost I hope they go to the right Witchurch because there are at least 10 in England and another 3 in Wales. If/when they arrive at Yockings Park they will be greeted by dressing rooms that were constructed from packing crates at the end of WWII. Could it be their West Ham moment? No players of note currently representing Alport although Jimmy Quinn started his career there before moving on to various league clubs and making his mark (literally I believe) as a centre forward and later manager at Reading in the 1990s.

Whitchurch seems like a nice small town for a day out. It must be because Ken Dodd once lived there.

Bar-lick as I've heard it called before now - never been there but have travelled through Whitchurch en route to Oswestry many moons ago

Whitchurch Alport In 1974 they became the last English team to take the Welsh Amateur Cup out of Wales prior to its becoming the Welsh Intermediate Cup, defeating Cardiff College of Education 2–1 at Latham Park, Newtown.[4]

Noticed Maltby Main kick off their FA Cup trail tonight away at Pinchbeck Utd,Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Noticed Maltby Main kick off their FA Cup trail tonight away at Pinchbeck Utd,Good Luck.
    Although it's not shown as such on the BBC listings it's actually a replay Lol as are a few of tonight's games. They drew 1-1 on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Although it's not shown as such on the BBC listings it's actually a replay Lol as are a few of tonight's games. They drew 1-1 on Saturday.
    Maltby winning 2-0 51mins.

Lead cut to 2-1

About 7 mins of normal time left

Now 3-1

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast