+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoke City Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    As Yazz and the Plastic Population said "The Only Way Is Up" but unfortunately due to QPR's abject display at Watford that's not quite true. Every season we seem to have at least one match where we combine an abject performance with injuries, bookings, one or two sending offs and a clown of a referee. Let's hope that we've got that game out of the way early this season and today is not simply an example of what's to come.

Thoughts on today's game?
    No surprise that I'm putting this one down to MT
    Viking was good as always - one super stop
    Back 3 weren't great but tried to stand up to the test

Midfield was just a mess
    Too many out there didn't seem to understand their roles - Fred & Haks were as if they'd never met before & as if nobody had told them what position they were supposed to play - individually, they looked OK but they looked like they were marking each other & neither bothered to try to pick up any Stoke player - who was meant to be picking up Hoever for the first goal? Wiles was stood around hands on hips - his first 3 contributions were to give the ball away twice and then make a real mess of the first decent chance - he clearly can't play the role that he thought he was trying to play today but TBH, I'm not sure what Wiles' role should be - he has half a dozen decent games a year where he does something worldclass but too often gets the basic wrong - if we can get any bid at all, I'd take it
    Cafu looked OK - one of the better things to come out of today - we despertaley need Jamie back
    I thought that Bramall was decent apart from the silly booking
    Hugill was a complete waste of space (as so often) - but at least Kelly looked really bright when he came on and it was good to have JJ back

But we could lose all 5 opening games (and more) if we don't play a system that the players can play

Alex Neil has built a Stoke team in his own image (he's always been a total tw@t) - I really hope some old-fashioned defender sprts out Vidigal - he was the worst

Ref was as poor as we were...

If the Ref's interpretations of the new rules are the norm, then we are going to have a hell of a lot of cards this season
    First half steamrollered, second half better. The goal rattled them, and they became an average team. I called the sending off after about ten minutes. Ref couldn't wait to get the red out.
    Disappointed with their fourth, as a one -nil second half victory would have given a bit of heart to the team.
    Thought they dominated the game more last season than this.

Our habit of conceding either early or late in a half is still there - any chance we can train them to focus at these critical times in games? Stoke also dropped their guard once likewise. Hope this is a blip and not a portent of what is to come. Glad we weren't facing one of the league's favourites today

Knew we would lose.

The financial gap is all there to see.

Can only get better

Stoke my tip for the playoffs so not surprised we lost. The way we lost was mind boggling.
    You could start with the set-up. MT got this sooo wrong.
    I don't recall us winning a game last season with 3cb all the positives came with 4 at the back. Cafu prob the best player and only the ref knew why he sent him off.
    Wiles, hugill, bramhall and oddefin looked lost.

Mmaee - named by a cat walking across a keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Mmaee - named by a cat walking across a keyboard?
    walking across our defence more like

We only conceded 4 goals once last season. We are supposed to be an improving team so let's hope that's the only time it happens this season.

We need a recognised left back & return to a back 4. Another forward with some height also. We only have makeshift wing backs won't work in the championship.

It’s one game and a bad one by sounds ( I only saw a bit) but saying we’re relegated already is just astonishing but no ****ing surprise.

No surprise from ref who gave over 100 yellows in 33 games last season

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast