+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Opening day trouncings

Opening day trouncings

That horror show put me in mind of a 5-0 drubbing at Brizzle City under Billy Dearden.
    Can anyone else provide a more deflating one ?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    That horror show put me in mind of a 5-0 drubbing at Brizzle City under Billy Dearden.
    In 125 seasons, there's been 5 worse starts than today.

1964/65 L 0-4
    2003/04 L 0-5
    1968/69 L 0-5
    1926/27 L 0-5
    1953/54 L 0-6

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    I was there... red hot that day, coincided with the hot air balloon festival and traffic was horrendous.

Nothing's decided on the opening day. I remember Norwich City losing 7-1 at home to Colchester on the opening day a decade or so ago, but once Norwich got it together they went on to win the title.

Today's a shocking result, but we'll need another 10 games/results to tell us where we really are. Hopefully this was just a false start, and if it serves to moderate expectations amongst the support base then that might even be a good thing in terms of giving the team time to adapt without undue pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I was there... red hot that day, coincided with the hot air balloon festival and traffic was horrendous.
    We did,indeed look a basket case that day.
    That whole season in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Nothing's decided on the opening day. I remember Norwich City losing 7-1 at home to Colchester on the opening day a decade or so ago, but once Norwich got it together they went on to win the title.

Today's a shocking result, but we'll need another 10 games/results to tell us where we really are. Hopefully this was just a false start, and if it serves to moderate expectations amongst the support base then that might even be a good thing in terms of giving the team time to adapt without undue pressure.
    They poached Colchester’s manager straight away!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I remember us winning 4-0 at Leicester on the opening day of the 1983-84 season. They stayed up, we got relegated.

Today was a “Welcome to the EFL” rude awakening and shows why few Notts fans thought we’d be running away with the league (even if many pundits did). The Lincoln cup game on Tuesday is a bonus, but the Grimsby game next Saturday will tell us whether today was just a bad day at the office or if we’ve got a long, hard season ahead of us.