Quote Originally Posted by yoonited View Post
I bought a grade 2 listed property (built 1653) and carried out extensive alterations to it. Knocked bathroom, WC, pantry and kitchen walls down (all horsehair plaster) to make one large kitchen/dining area. Took ceilings down in new kitchen and the lounge to expose oak beams and purlins, built staircase leading to a mezzanine in the lounge, installed two new bathrooms with Velux windows to mezzanine and bathrooms. Removed plaster to expose stone fireplaces in lounge and kitchen, removed plaster to expose original brick wall running through center of the property. Had to submit a detailed planning application with architects plans for what I intended to do, all got approved no problem. You can do what you want internally (within reason) as long as you've applied for permission, but they won't allow anything which alters the external appearance of the property (putting in UPVC windows or adding any extensions for example). Grade 1 is far more retstrictive, you normally can't do any alterations inside or out, but only 8% of listed buildings are in this category.
You are right there. We live just a mile or two away and around the corner is Holbeache House, famous for the last stand of the gunpowder plotters. The inside has been altered extensively and turned into an old people's home. I have heard it's coming to the end of that purpose so I am expecting someone to put a match to that soon.
With the crooked house I think it was the land they wanted because you couldn't do much with it for anything else.