+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New referee interpretations

New referee interpretations

Well, we certainly witnessed some of the effects of these changes yesterday. Some of the bookings were certainly an effect though the red card would have happened without them. I'm watching (in the background) the Charity Shield and an Arsenal player has kicked the ball away and is flabbergasted at getting a yellow card much like the Mansfield player yesterday. This goes to prove that, as a rule, professional footballers are not the brightest kids on the block. Anyway, anything that clamps down on tugging, tripping and general ****-housery is positive in my book. Which brings me to ask, why is it not applied in the penalty area? If yellow carding is meant to deter the niggly foul play outside the area, then why is holding, grabbing and virtual wrestling allowed in it? We saw last season the comical instance of George Ray for Barrow do the full 'Sumo-hug' on O'Riordan before being spoken to by the referee. Only for Ray to then resort to rugby-tackling O'Riordan to the ground. The Barrow manager then criticised the award of a penalty by claiming he saw nothing he hadn't seen on pitches every weekend.
    Another aspect of changing interpretations is the added time. I'm all for it but I suspect the football establishment will attempt to pressure it to be changed. Despite the fact that it currently means I'll have to expect to get later trains home (more problematic for night games than the weekend), I believe it will result in fans seeing more football for their money. However, in their interviews on the O.S. both Bell and Adebisi condemned the measure. Despite this I hope the authorities ignore any initial clamour to abandon it. Once the noise has died down coaches will have to start finding ways of cutting down on the lulls and getting the ball back into play quickly. Then the added minutes will reduce.
    The final point (sorry! - it's been a bit long!)is the 30 second rule for players who have left the field of play. We witnessed the downside of this yesterday. I get that it's part of stopping fake injuries. However, Rio's injury was far from fake and the 30 seconds could have been instrumental in punishing the Alex who had been victims of injury. It works, only one player went off for treatment, but it could have penalised an innocent team. So this idea needs to go back to the drawing board.
    The yellow cards will settle down as will the added minutes so I hope the referees stick to their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Well, we certainly witnessed some of the effects of these changes yesterday. Some of the bookings were certainly an effect though the red card would have happened without them. I'm watching (in the background) the Charity Shield and an Arsenal player has kicked the ball away and is flabbergasted at getting a yellow card much like the Mansfield player yesterday. This goes to prove that, as a rule, professional footballers are not the brightest kids on the block. Anyway, anything that clamps down on tugging, tripping and general ****-housery is positive in my book. Which brings me to ask, why is it not applied in the penalty area? If yellow carding is meant to deter the niggly foul play outside the area, then why is holding, grabbing and virtual wrestling allowed in it?

Another aspect of changing interpretations is the added time. I'm all for it but I suspect the football establishment will attempt to pressure it to be changed. Despite the fact that it currently means I'll have to expect to get later trains home (more problematic for night games than the weekend), I believe it will result in fans seeing more football for their money. However, in their interviews on the O.S. both Bell and Adebisi condemned the measure. Despite this I hope the authorities ignore any initial clamour to abandon it. Once the noise has died down coaches will have to start finding ways of cutting down on the lulls and getting the ball back into play quickly. Then the added minutes will reduce.
    The final point (sorry! - it's been a bit long!)is the 30 second rule for players who have left the field of play. We witnessed the downside of this yesterday. I get that it's part of stopping fake injuries. However, Rio's injury was far from fake and the 30 seconds could have been instrumental in punishing the Alex who had been victims of injury. It works, only one player went off for treatment, but it could have penalised an innocent team. So this idea needs to go back to the drawing board.
    The yellow cards will settle down as will the added minutes so I hope the referees stick to their guns.
    I didn't fully appreciate the changes but thought the 8 minutes of extra time in the first half was excessive and if that is the result of changing regulations then they need revising, I understand the sentiment but maybe not the interpretation. Time wasting had gone too far and needed addressing and needed a more common sense approach, I don't think anybody understood where the 8 minute extra time came from. and as for the 30 second rule for players coming back onto pitch, total nonsense

Yes I did wonder where the 8 minutes came from. However, on reflection there were 3 goals and celebrations, the latter does tend to vacuum up time.
    So that is also something for the coaches to consider.
    I can't say I've got sympathy for the players as there has been a lot more time-wasting in the modern era than in the past.

From browsing other fans forums it seems the common concensus is that any time between a goal being given and the game restarted is now added on, so a game with lots of goals like Suttons at the w/e could go on a long time.
    I see that both Arteta and Pep are complaining about how unfair it is on the players to have to play extra minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post
    From browsing other fans forums it seems the common concensus is that any time between a goal being given and the game restarted is now added on, so a game with lots of goals like Suttons at the w/e could go on a long time.
    I see that both Arteta and Pep are complaining about how unfair it is on the players to have to play extra minutes.
    The obvious answer is don’t time waste in anyway shape or form.
    Goal celebrations, moaning at the ref, not walking off after a red card (never been overturned at this level) etc etc.

As fans we are left in the dark to a large extent. I knew about the 30 second rule after reading it somewhere but 8 and 9 minute add ons totally confounded me. It would be great to see a definative explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    As fans we are left in the dark to a large extent. I knew about the 30 second rule after reading it somewhere but 8 and 9 minute add ons totally confounded me. It would be great to see a definative explanation.
    The minutes added in the second half would have totted up on the grounds of substitutions. That would have accounted for around 4 minutes at a guess. Excessive celebration does need to be curbed and right to add time on for kicking the ball away. It is absolutely ridiculous to be making a player wait 30 seconds after treatment for an injury. God knows who dreams these rules up and indeed why. No problem making players go off the field after treatment but that is a rule for the sake of a rule and as someone has pointed out, the team suffers from their player being injured

Yes, the 30 second rule does need re-thinking. Rio was the only player going off the field for treatment after stopping play suggesting that the idea worked but it was a real injury so he was penalised unnecessarily. The rule assumes people going off the field are wasting time, which Rio clearly wasn't. It actually runs the risk of encouraging foul play in order to get someone off the field at a crucial moment.