+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnes

Barnes

Scores twice in our 4-0 win over Villarreal.
    I think he will do well for us this season.

Good finishing by the sounds of it, too.

Yep, think he'll fit in well. Hopefully means big Joe will spend more time in midfield as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Good finishing by the sounds of it, too.

Yep, think he'll fit in well. Hopefully means big Joe will spend more time in midfield as well.
    Yeah, I’d say that with Gordon and Barnes, and even Isak at times, then there’s little reason for Big Jo to play out of midfield as a stop-gap solution.

I can see is alternating the all the front 3 as things stand to get the best out of them, as we did with Wilson and Isak for the latter part of last season.

Gordon/Barnes
    Wilson/Isak
    Miggy/Murphy

We’ve got strength in depth through most of the team now… not so obviously as we have in 2 of the 3 front line spots… but if we we’re to bring in a couple more first team ready players before the window closes I think we might even be seeing competition to make the bench even… and that’s a real sign of a team that is ready to mix it up with the Top 4/6!

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    Yeah, I’d say that with Gordon and Barnes, and even Isak at times, then there’s little reason for Big Jo to play out of midfield as a stop-gap solution.

I can see is alternating the all the front 3 as things stand to get the best out of them, as we did with Wilson and Isak for the latter part of last season.

Gordon/Barnes
    Wilson/Isak
    Miggy/Murphy

We’ve got strength in depth through most of the team now… not so obviously as we have in 2 of the 3 front line spots… but if we we’re to bring in a couple more first team ready players before the window closes I think we might even be seeing competition to make the bench even… and that’s a real sign of a team that is ready to mix it up with the Top 4/6!

Wilson credit to him looked electric. This is the sharpest, the most powerful & fastest I've ever seen him in a toon shirt.

It's clear that Barnes will need a bit of time to bed in properly in terms of where he wants passes laid on by team mates & where team mates like the ball played into. However, that will come with time! He's shown immediate integration that's for sure.

We look bang up for this season, yesterday & Today everyone looks sharp. Between the two 11s we've got a potentially devastating first 11 who, I believe will not fear anyone.

What I liked about Barnes is that he looked up and went to shoot, I think he'll score a fair few for us this season.

I also liked that Wilson, despite not scoring, set 2 goals up and generally looked sharpe, fit and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    What I liked about Barnes is that he looked up and went to shoot, I think he'll score a fair few for us this season.

I also liked that Wilson, despite not scoring, set 2 goals up and generally looked sharpe, fit and ready.
    What did he get last season? 13 goals and 3 assist was it? In a sinking Leicester team that's fair canny.

We have ball carriers in Miggy, Murphy, Isak and if Cal stays razor sharp as he was in todays match having another cold finished on the park in Barnes, I can see him getting similar or way better number.

22/23 NUFC scored - 68 goals

This season - Hypothetical - we need to do better than that

+20 goals
    Isak, Wilson

+10 goal
    Goalintoon J7, Bruno, Miggy, Barnes

+5
    Bruno, Murphy, Tonali, Gordon, (CBs - combined), Tripz

= 120 goals.

combine that with our defensive record
    Goals against 33
    120 - 33 = +87

22/23 our GD was +35

87-35 = +52 GD season return

City won the league with a GD of +61 last season.

I don't see our defensive stats falling off a cliff. We're adding Tino & inshallah we'll bring in Oumar Solet. Which just adds more competition and quality to the defensive unit + the youth players who have shone in Pre-Season we're in good shape to maintain our high defensive standards.

Couple of more excellent additions to the squad and we will be in the conversation to maintain our top 4 place and be in good shape to compete in europe.

Great to be a Geordie!

Agree with all of the above, team looked great, esp Wilson, Murphy, Linton and Barnes....however..........
    the amount of empty seats, despite the nufc.com website edit of the highlights, was criminal. Pricing all wrong and why they didn`t open the whole stadium and let youngster in for nowt, what a missed chance for more goodwill and thousands more lifelong supporters oh and this site is running slower than public transport for 2 weeks now

Quote Originally Posted by coastferret View Post
    Agree with all of the above, team looked great, esp Wilson, Murphy, Linton and Barnes....however..........
    the amount of empty seats, despite the nufc.com website edit of the highlights, was criminal. Pricing all wrong and why they didn`t open the whole stadium and let youngster in for nowt, what a missed chance for more goodwill and thousands more lifelong supporters oh and this site is running slower than public transport for 2 weeks now
    I live in the middle east so not too much of an issue for me.

However, I think it's clear there is a lot of teething trouble going on with the commercials and off-field issues.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)