+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100 minute matches

They introduce VAR, then find the amount of time the ball is in play has dropped and blame the players for timewasting. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    On the question of VAR, in addition to being a time waster in the context of this discussion, one has to ask if it has improved the game. That is both in terms of reducing errors and football as an entertainment spectacle.

I do not think it has. There will always be errors, bad decisions and questionable moments. VAR officials, by their own admission, have made serious mistakes.

The example given by BT of Australia shows the way forward to my mind. Let the ref decide or restrict its use to situations where the players are conning the ref - like diving in the penalty area.
    Your point of "Clear & Obvious" S_c highlights the sheer ridiculousness of VAR. If it takes FIVE VAR overseers around FIVE minutes to ask the on-field referee to revise or revisit their original decision how can it possibly be a "Clear & Obvious" error in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    On the question of VAR, in addition to being a time waster in the context of this discussion, one has to ask if it has improved the game. That is both in terms of reducing errors and football as an entertainment spectacle.

I do not think it has. There will always be errors, bad decisions and questionable moments. VAR officials, by their own admission, have made serious mistakes.

The example given by BT of Australia shows the way forward to my mind. Let the ref decide or restrict its use to situations where the players are conning the ref - like diving in the penalty area.
    It certainly hasn't improved the game, ask anyone who watches VAR free non league if they would like VAR and to a man and woman the answer will be, no thanks you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It certainly hasn't improved the game, ask anyone who watches VAR free non league if they would like VAR and to a man and woman the answer will be, no thanks you can keep it.
    It's a pantomime sinkov and one that needs ending but it will go on. Add to the pantomime 15 minutes of added time and I'm going to start needing overnight accommodation in Burnley just to see the ending of a night match.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It's a pantomime sinkov and one that needs ending but it will go on. Add to the pantomime 15 minutes of added time and I'm going to start needing overnight accommodation in Burnley just to see the ending of a night match.
    The cretins running football can't be far off the complete ruination of the game with their incessant tinkering, everything they touch they just make it worse. Hand ball is a fine example, the simplest law in the game, it used to be so simple, if the ref thought it was intentional, free kick or pen, otherwise play on. Now it's a complete and utter joke, a shambles , a pantomime, it's embarrasing and no sign it's going to get better, everything they tinker with just makes it worse.
    Last edited by sinkov; 09-08-2023 at 08:37 AM.

The cretins running football can't be far off the complete ruination ofvthe
    "beautiful game" mon ami?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    "beautiful game" mon ami?
    It still can be, then some clown with a whistle, ear piece and monitor to look at decides to get involved. It's sad and frustrating in equal measure, referees should be, could be, the saviours of the game, instead they are the ruination of it. And I'm not having it that it's the players fault, the refs are in charge, everything players do on a pitch can only be done with the refs consent. End of.

I think that we are all agreed that the time wasting is down, in part, to the players, the refs, VAR, the interpretation of the rules.

What would we talk about if it weren’t for all the failings. I guess that’s what makes it interesting.

The cretins running football can't be far off the complete ruination of the game with their incessant tinkering, everything they touch they just make it worse. Hand ball is a fine example, the simplest law in the game, it used to be so simple, if the ref thought it was intentional, free kick or pen, otherwise play on. Now it's a complete and utter joke, a shambles , a pantomime, it's embarrasing and no sign it's going to get better, everything they tinker with just makes it worse.
    Lucy Bronze got hit on the hand from about 3 yards away in the 6-1 win over China. It was clear and obvious she made no attempt to touch the ball, in fact the England goalie inadvertently pushed Bronze towards the ball in the goalmouth melee.

Play continued and then the dreaded "VAR check for possible handball" appeared on screen.

Result: Penalty to China and a yellow card for Miss Bronze.

"Mystified of Bolton" hardly covered it.

It is getting more and more farcical. From sound of it, there was no intention to handle the ball on her part. Penalty.

A player wrestles someone to the ground. Clearly intentional. No penalty.

It is ruining the game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)