+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings vs Lincoln (H)

Match Ratings vs Lincoln (H)

Slocombe - 7 - Couldn’t really do anything with either goal, and some smart stops to prevent things getting worse in the second half. Handling was good throughout. Few scary moments with the ball at his feet first half but par for the course with the way we play. Interesting to see who gets the nod on Saturday.

Brindley - 5 - Started well but poor second half and at fault for the second goal. Has all the attributes to be a good defender but simply isn’t the player he was a year ago.

Baldwin - 4.5 - Brain freeze moment. Again. Is our leading centre back but isn’t reliable or durable enough to fulfil this role unfortunately. A few scary moments even before the red.

Cameron - 5.5 - Like Baldwin has the ability but is prone to the odd moment of madness. Probably better than Saturday but way off his best.

Chicksen - 6 - Pick of the defenders currently and will surely start on Saturday. Not as obviously talented as the three players above but at least you know what you’ll get from him.

Adebayo - 6 - Out of position as an orthodox right winger, strange one as meant he was generally trying to beat his man from a standing start. Couple of dangerous crosses and applied himself well.

O’Brien - 7.5* - Usual full-blooded commitment and always willing to take the ball under pressure. Top display. Seen a lot of comments about some of last year’s squad not being up to the step up but for me he showed tonight he still has a role to play.

Bajrami - N/A - looked a bad one unfortunately. A shame as he’s one of the few with the physicality we’re lacking currently.

Austin - 5.5 - Bags of commitment but a strange move to have him out of position on the left wing. Better when moved inside late on. Needlessly gave away the corner they scored from (against the run of play at the time).

Crowley - 5 - Really poor first half, a little better after the break (the opposite of most of the players).

Scott - 6 - Barely had a kick but didn’t have anything to work with.

Subs

Bostock - 6.5 - Thought him and O’Brien competed well and tried to get us going, particularly when we were a man short.

Jones - 6 - There seems to have been a more deliberate move to get crosses in all the time this season, but think he’s much more dangerous from the right cutting in.

Morais - 6 - Same as Scott.

Tipton - 6.5 - Actually looked handy. Will be a challenge up against Grimsby’s physicality/aerial threat but I’d start him on Saturday, otherwise why is he here?
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 08-08-2023 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Slocombe - 7 - Couldn’t really do anything with either goal, and some smart stops to prevent things getting worse in the second half. Handling was good throughout. Few scary moments with the ball at his feet first half but par for the course with the way we play. Interesting to see who gets the nod on Saturday.

Brindley - 5 - Started well but poor second half and at fault for the second goal. Has all the attributes to be a good defender but simply isn’t the player he was a year ago.

Baldwin - 4.5 - Brain freeze moment. Again. Is our leading centre back but isn’t reliable or durable enough to fulfil this role unfortunately. A few scary moments even before the red.

Cameron - 5.5 - Like Baldwin has the ability but is prone to the odd moment of madness. Probably better than Saturday but way off his best.

Chicksen - 6 - Pick of the defenders currently and will surely start on Saturday. Not as obviously talented as the three players above but at least you know what you’ll get from him.

Adebayo - 6 - Out of position as an orthodox right winger, strange one as meant he was generally trying to beat his man from a standing start. Couple of dangerous crosses and applied himself well.

O’Brien - 7.5* - Usual full-blooded commitment and always willing to take the ball under pressure. Top display. Seen a lot of comments about some of last year’s squad not being up to the step up but for me he showed tonight he still has a role to play.

Bajrami - N/A - looked a bad one unfortunately. A shame as he’s one of the few with the physicality we’re lacking currently.

Austin - 5.5 - Bags of commitment but a strange move to have him out of position on the left wing. Better when moved inside late on. Needlessly gave away the corner they scored from (against the run of play at the time).

Crowley - 5 - Really poor first half, a little better after the break (the opposite of most of the players).

Scott - 6 - Barely had a kick but didn’t have anything to work with.

Subs

Bostock - 6.5 - Thought him and O’Brien competed well and tried to get us going, particularly when we were a man short.

Jones - 6 - There seems to have been a more deliberate move to get crosses in all the time this season, but think he’s much more dangerous from the right cutting in.

Morais - 6 - Same as Scott.

Tipton - 6.5 - Actually looked handy. Will be a challenge up against Grimsby’s physicality/aerial threat but I’d start him on Saturday, otherwise why is he here?
    Fair assessment. One or two alterations for me.
    Brindley 4. Did Get forward once or twice at pace but always fails to open his body up when receiving, which means he can only pass back inside. Caught inpossession for the second. ( He wasn't alone in this. Cameron and Baldwin both caught carrying the ball out, but these went unpunished)
    TAR 6.5 possibly 7. Needs to start ahead of Nemane. Better crosser. Better defender. Quicker.
    Baldwin 3. Probably a straight red in the first half. Body check with the ball 5 yards away and Cameron in position to head clear. He did this a few times last season. It's needless. The second booking He got too tight coming in too late, got rolled so dragged his man to the ground.

Jimbo superb.

Brindley is a funny one. As the OP said, he's got all the attributes of a decent defender/fullback, but in practice he just doesn't do enough. He's solid enough at the back, and he's not adventurous enough going forward. I think the last few seasons he's got away with it because we haven't had that much defending to do.

I thought Brindley had a stinker. When he came off, there were no hugs and handshakes with Williams which suggested to me neither was happy with how he had performed. In fairness, he was on the wrong end of a very heavy challenge in the first half which may have unsettled him.

Chicksen was a frustration for me as he always plays backwards and didn't offer the overlap.

Generally we need to move the ball quicker and focus on hurting the opponent with attacks rather than just possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I thought Brindley had a stinker. When he came off, there were no hugs and handshakes with Williams which suggested to me neither was happy with how he had performed. In fairness, he was on the wrong end of a very heavy challenge in the first half which may have unsettled him.

Chicksen was a frustration for me as he always plays backwards and didn't offer the overlap.

Generally we need to move the ball quicker and focus on hurting the opponent with attacks rather than just possession.
    Chicksen for me is better in a back three than at wingback. He is to one footed struggles to beat his man and the majority of the time passes back which often breaks down a promising attack.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post

Yes!

I thought that after watching him for a few games last season, and was surprised we didn't try it more.

To me he always looks dangerous cutting in onto his left and having a shot, particularly useful when our tendency is to fall into the sterile possession trap.

He can also cut inside and lay it off square then make a run into the box.

I echo what’s said about Jones playing on the right and cutting in rather than on the left…he never seems effective from there. Chicksen is a quality LCB or LB….never a LWB, don’t let the goals he scored last season suggest otherwise.

I know some aren’t keen but the back four is the way to go with the current team. Let’s try a two up top combination as well, it’ll at least give another outlet and more chance of poor Macca or Scott getting a touch of the ball. They know each others game so why not do it? Even in a 4-3-3 like at Gateshead with Macca out wide? We can’t carry on basically having 70% possession whilst conceding 2+ goals a game…..and having no chances of our own!

Problem is, our recruitment this summer kind of needs us to play two number tens. A 4-1-3-2 may work. Time to try something different at the back and give the others a wake up call.

……………………Slocombe

TAR………..Tipton…………Bostock……Chicks

………………………Palmer

……….Jones….…….Didzy………..Nemane/Morias

………………….Macca…..Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Fair assessment. One or two alterations for me.
    Brindley 4. Did Get forward once or twice at pace but always fails to open his body up when receiving, which means he can only pass back inside. Caught inpossession for the second. ( He wasn't alone in this. Cameron and Baldwin both caught carrying the ball out, but these went unpunished)
    TAR 6.5 possibly 7. Needs to start ahead of Nemane. Better crosser. Better defender. Quicker.
    Baldwin 3. Probably a straight red in the first half. Body check with the ball 5 yards away and Cameron in position to head clear. He did this a few times last season. It's needless. The second booking He got too tight coming in too late, got rolled so dragged his man to the ground.

Jimbo superb.
    On last night’s evidence you think TAR should start instead of Nemane?? Blimey.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    On last night’s evidence you think TAR should start instead of Nemane?? Blimey.
    I do yes. I marked Nemane quite well on Saturday but his delivery is nowhere near as good as TAR. However, my main rationale is I feel we need to play in a 4 and TAR miles better at defending than Nemane.
    I should've made it clearer though, I would have Nemane in the 4 man midfield playing in front of TAR.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-08-2023 at 10:32 AM.

When does the transfer window shut, sadly a new defence is needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast