+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long To Acclimatise?

How Long To Acclimatise?

Let’s look at the teams who came top of the National League in the previous 3 seasons prior to our promotion and see how they did in their first 5 games back in the EFL.

Barrow ... DLDLD / Sutton … LDDLW / Stockport … LLWLL

So, between them, they managed 2 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats. Stockport started the worst of the three with 4 defeats in 5 games, but at the end of the season were 4th. Sutton finished 8th in their first season back and Barrow 21st, 2 points off a quick return to the National League.

I think that expecting us to start this season from where we left off last season was unrealistic, and the stats above seem to show that we must allow a period of acclimatisation. One thing worth noting, however, is that not one of those 8 defeats was by more than 1 goal. Let’s see how we compare in 4 games' time.

We all know where our weaknesses are. Let's hope between them LW, the players and the Reedtz brothers can resolve them.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Let’s look at the teams who came top of the National League in the previous 3 seasons prior to our promotion and see how they did in their first 5 games back in the EFL.

So, between them, they managed 2 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats. Stockport started the worst of the three with 4 defeats in 5 games, but at the end of the season were 4th. Sutton finished 8th in their first season back and Barrow 21st, 2 points off a quick return to the National League.

I think that expecting us to start this season from where we left off last season was unrealistic, and the stats above seem to show that we must allow a period of acclimatisation. One thing worth noting, however, is that not one of those 8 defeats was by more than 1 goal. Let’s see how we compare in 4 games' time.

We all know where our weaknesses are. Let's hope between them LW, the players and the Reedtz brothers can resolve them.
    The weaknesses were there all of last season and we have done nothing to rectify them, other than bring in a 19 year old academy lad..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    The weaknesses were there all of last season and we have done nothing to rectify them, other than bring in a 19 year old academy lad..
    Well the owners best get the chequebook out then if we haven't got the players.

A bit of comfort to read that, so far in the league we've only got a single 'L'. It's far too soon to judge, especially when we've played the majority of our first two games 10v11. A 'W' on Saturday will calm a few nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Well the owners best get the chequebook out then if we haven't got the players.
    I think it's pretty well agreed on here we need 2 quality centre backs minimum. Not youngsters for a club from a higher league, not ex crocks, 2 decent quality ex L1-2 CB's who can play a bit, and know there way around the lower leagues. And they won't be cheap, not at this stage of the season. A team of midfielders and no CB's. Poor recruitment, IMHAHO. You can call me all the negative nellie's under the Sun if you want, it's bl00dy true, it's all round ASDA.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    You can call me all the negative nellie's under the Sun if you want, it's bl00dy true, it's all round ASDA.
    I don't shop at Asda but I can tell you that it's all round Morrisons too. We all know what positions we need to strengthen and must assume that those in charge of recruitment (none left according to some comments) do as well. Maybe it's a case of knowing but not being able to find any that are available and willing to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I think it's pretty well agreed on here we need 2 quality centre backs minimum. Not youngsters for a club from a higher league, not ex crocks, 2 decent quality ex L1-2 CB's who can play a bit, and know there way around the lower leagues. And they won't be cheap, not at this stage of the season. A team of midfielders and no CB's. Poor recruitment, IMHAHO. You can call me all the negative nellie's under the Sun if you want, it's bl00dy true, it's all round ASDA.
    I can't afford to shop in ASDA, but it was the same in Aldi. We decided to select a weak starting team last night, but none of Langstaff, McGoldrick, Palmer, Nemane, Bostock or Jones are defenders. We have several options in midfield and up front, but it only takes an injury and suspension for us to be down to the bare bones in defence.

Saying that, my initial impression of Tipton was a good one. I think this was his debut in senior football, and considering we were playing against higher opposition with 10 men I thought he did pretty well. Not saying he is the answer to our defensive problems, but I think he certainly has a part to play this season.

Maybe it's a case of knowing but not being able to find any that are available and willing to join us.
    "Pay it, and they will come". That Kevin Costco said that so it must be true.

Little point in having one of the best midfields in the league (on paper at least) if they can’t get over the halfway line.

Recruitment in pre season has been abysmal… no other way of putting it. Our defence needed reinforcing and yet again… it didnt happened.

The information even made it to Coles, Woolworths and my local IGA. It will get sorted and we will be fine. I am confident of that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast