+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Grimsby Town. 12.08.23 [EFL L2]

I thought this afternoon was a terrific advert for L2 - nearly 13,000, lots of entertainment and a great atmosphere (one day the people near me in the Pavis will join in a chant, I know it).

We definitely deserved the win, and it felt like daylight robbery that we were 2-1 down at the break given our superiority. We got the luck at a crucial time for the second equaliser (I’ll need to see that one again as I never saw it hit the back of the net), but have got to stop gifting the opposition soft goals.

Lots of positives today - Crowley, Bostock, the two wing backs going forward, a much improved performance from Brindley in the centre at the back, Matty Palmer keeping things ticking over in the middle and, crucially, the much improved intensity.

We need Macca to get in the goals again (he should have scored with that header before the first equaliser, but was unlucky with the one he put over the bar following the deflection from the defender), and a few clean sheets wouldn’t go amiss. COYP!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Quite a complement, we are a good side and yes we need to address some defensive frailties, I think we are 1 / 2 players away from a very good side.
    Fisher is still about the place then?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Winning goal or a scene from Platoon. Watch till the end.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1690418371198582784
    Crikey what a sublime goal and just fabulous skills. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Fisher is still about the place then?

Well LW seemed convinced we would get a player in when talking about Baj, if Fisher is fit that will be a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Felt both their goals were gifts, the first was a calamity but what was Stone doing, it wasn't a good shot yet it rolled in.

Second the defence were statues but again I thought Stone could have been quicker out to clean up the danger?

I might be blaming the keeper a bit too much but I would have been a lot happier with a better keeper coming in, what we have is just Slocombe mk 2, no actual improvement.

When it clicked going forward, it clicked. Felt Austin needs to bulk up and acclimatise before he is an option but green shoots certainly
    You can't blame Stone for the first goal. Poor ball from Nemane which exposes Rawlinson. Brindley as usual doesn't engage the striker, obviously **** scared of doing anything on his job descriotion. Free shot at goal

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    You can't blame Stone for the first goal. Poor ball from Nemane which exposes Rawlinson. Brindley as usual doesn't engage the striker, obviously **** scared of doing anything on his job descriotion. Free shot at goal
    Brindley was really good today, everyone is saying so

I was about to give up on Brindley, but thought he did really well today, maybe he is more suited to a central defensive role.

It’s a confidence game and today should have done us the world of good. It was more direct than I thought it would be…presently surprised tbh.

Other than the usual, “sitting off” and the “self destruct” button in defence, it was a good performance.

Crowley was light years ahead of anyone else on the pitch but Nemane wasn’t far behind.

Sorry Grimsby Steve and speaking as a fellow “yellow belly”, you’re in for a long hard season on that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Brindley was really good today, everyone is saying so
    Agreed, thought putting Brindley in the centre of the 3 worked well. Although the first goal he should have closed down the striker but the goal isn't his fault.

I had the pleasure of sitting in front of 2 guys slagging nemane, or neymar as they called him, off all match.

I thought he was excellent with crowley today.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I was about to give up on Brindley, but thought he did really well today, maybe he is more suited to a central defensive role.
    You never know, he certainly channelled his inner-Pedro today to put in his best performance for a long time.

I suspect he's a player that responds well to change and raises his game in new roles. He might be set for a good run there (but it's a big ask at L2 level)

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast