+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Player ratings v Grimsby

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Agree about McGoldrick. The class is there to see and once he settles in a bit and gets to know his teamates, they and him will really be firing.
    On the Grimsby board one of their posters wrote:

Funniest moment was seeing McGoldrick go inside two of our players like they didn’t exist and then shank an aimless cross field pass straight out of play

I think his head is still assuming patterns of movement a step above where we are. But some of his play was breathtaking.

Also I have to say, I didn't think Nemane's back pass was all that bad. Certainly it didn't look suicidal like some we've seen recently. Can't help but feel it should have been coverable.
    Last edited by OchPie; 13-08-2023 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I’d agree with those. Felt sorry for Connell when Aaron’s poor pass went past him and he turned like the QE2 to try to catch up with Rose. I’m sure Stone will be disappointed to be beaten at his near post, but the biggest problem was Aaron’s careless pass.
    The biggest problem was Brindleys refusal to get across prevent the shot. Nemanes pass exposed Rawlinson but that will happen on occasion. He needed to get across and get himself between the striker and the goal. He didn't. He could of gone either side of the keeper no chance for Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Maybe so, but we're talking about match ratings for the 105mins or so he was on the pitch, not a 5 second moment.

I'd give him a 7/10 as he was generally very good, probably one off for his part in the first the goal. And that is just a part...Nemane, Rawlo and Stone chipped in a bit for that one too.
    I’m pretty sure Brindley tries to cover the angle for Rose to shoot across the goal. Unfortunately he puts it in at the near post.

I wasn’t at the game and was desperately trying to watch from Turkey on awful WiFi.
    We had much more tempo as a unit and competed physically.
    Crowley looks very good, and seems to have the attributes to suit our game perfectly.
    Nemane absolutely tore them to shreds first half. I was glad it was his cross for the equaliser, having gifted their opener.
    I think whatever happens this season, it’s going to be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I’m pretty sure Brindley tries to cover the angle for Rose to shoot across the goal. Unfortunately he puts it in at the near post.
    Watching the highlights this is exactly what Brindley was doing, letting the keeper cover the near post and he covered the angle across the goal. To me that's a full back mentality of running the man into the corner.

Sure stone shouldn't be beaten at his near post but a defender has to close down someone running straight at the goal, if only to put pressure on him. He'll learn from that and overall Brindley was brilliant there.

Also Brindleys pass to start the movement of our first goal was sublime

Great credit to LW, he's dragged that team from a 'pathetic' mess last week to a competitive winning team in seven days.
    We are so lucky to have this man as our leader.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Then you need to watch it again. Firstly look how slow Brindley is in getting across, he can see the danger but he's at about 50% pace wise. When the shot is struck the striker has the choice which side he shoots as Brindleys refusal to be quicker, (he is quick so he could of done) allows him almost the whole goal to shoot at.
    For the life of me I cannot understand why!! It's what he's paid to do. He was dreadful last week and perhaps didn't want to be involved in conceding a goal that didn't start with him.
    Is he just incredibly lazy, or lacking confidence????

Thankfully, his second half performance reminded me of the player of 2 seasons ago. I'd of given him 1 in the first half and 7 in the second.

He did seem pumped after the game thumping the badge let's hope he's turned the corner because that's the only decent half he's had in a long time and it would be great to see him back to what we know he can do

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Then you need to watch it again. Firstly look how slow Brindley is in getting across, he can see the danger but he's at about 50% pace wise. When the shot is struck the striker has the choice which side he shoots as Brindleys refusal to be quicker, (he is quick so he could of done) allows him almost the whole goal to shoot at.
    For the life of me I cannot understand why!! It's what he's paid to do. He was dreadful last week and perhaps didn't want to be involved in conceding a goal that didn't start with him.
    Is he just incredibly lazy, or lacking confidence????

Thankfully, his second half performance reminded me of the player of 2 seasons ago. I'd of given him 1 in the first half and 7 in the second.

He did seem pumped after the game thumping the badge let's hope he's turned the corner because that's the only decent half he's had in a long time and it would be great to see him back to what we know he can do
    When a player lacks confidence, they over think everything rather than act on instinct which in this instance should have been to charge across to the striker as quick as possible to put him under pressure.

In no way can Stone be blamed for the first goal. Rose has a free shot at the entire goal on his strong foot from 8 yards, Brindley needed to help him out.

Hopefully Brindley takes some confidence from his 2nd half performance

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    When a player lacks confidence, they over think everything rather than act on instinct which in this instance should have been to charge across to the striker as quick as possible to put him under pressure.

In no way can Stone be blamed for the first goal. Rose has a free shot at the entire goal on his strong foot from 8 yards, Brindley needed to help him out.

Hopefully Brindley takes some confidence from his 2nd half performance
    What in earth are you talking about? His positioning was awful, left a gaping gap at his near post, cover your near post and he can dive to cover the far post, where he stood allowed a choice and he had to guess as the reaction time would need to be immaculate at that distance, very poor keeping

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    On the Grimsby board one of their posters wrote:

Funniest moment was seeing McGoldrick go inside two of our players like they didn’t exist and then shank an aimless cross field pass straight out of play

I think his head is still assuming patterns of movement a step above where we are. But some of his play was breathtaking.

Also I have to say, I didn't think Nemane's back pass was all that bad. Certainly it didn't look suicidal like some we've seen recently. Can't help but feel it should have been coverable.
    I do remember that moment the Grimsby fan mentions. It’s a good point you make about players movements. When you’ve played in the premiership just a few years ago and then are playing in league two with players who have just come up from the national league there will be a bit of disconnect or moments where the player who has played at a much higher level will do something or pass a ball somewhere expecting a player to be there or receive it but there is none. The result means it breaks down or comes to nothing. So there is that understanding to develop which will come.

What is noticeable to me is how great McGoldricks close ball control is and as we saw taking players on and beating them like the ball is stuck to his feet at times. I bet it’s a nightmare trying to get the ball off him in training. That’s what we have in this team intelligent footballers who know how to hold onto the ball. It’s not very often many get picked off or dispossessed when on the ball.

Our mistakes so far this season have generally been when passing or in the air. Although in the air yesterday we were miles better than at Sutton.

I agree as well about Nemanes pass. Initially I thought nothing of it as it was a typical routine recycling of the ball back to defence. What surprised me was Rose almost popping up from nowhere. There is also the opportunity for Brindley and Stones to stop the goal scoring opportunity. Again with how we play it’s a risk, but Nemane, Brindley and Stones will learn from it. We have to remember as well Stones has got to get to know his defence as well.

That’s why we can’t and must not change our style of play. We can be a bit more direct if necessary, but the way this team will get better as the season goes on is to improve on what we already do well and play to our strengths.

Perhaps for now we need to prepared for some high scoring games. Six goals in the Sutton game, five in the Grimsby game. Let’s see what Tuesday brings.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast