+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are Pies really football fans?

Quote Originally Posted by skandark View Post
    It doesn't say on this clip, I don't think, but it was only a short format game (20? mins each way). It had to be, otherwise porky old Lee Trundle couldn't have lasted the distance. The scoreline would likely have been a lot worse but for the remarkable performance of the women's goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Whar are you saying here Elite?
    "I used to be a football fan and a Notts fan, but now I'm just a Notts fan"
    Are you suggesting that Notts don't play football?
    Football, but this bloody modern namby-pamby tippy tappy football!

To be honest, it probably took me a dozen games last season to realise that this is the way forward. Ardley and Burchnall did a sanitised version of possession football, Luke Williams actually made it effective in a spectacular way. We won more games than I've ever seen, we scored more goals than I've ever seen. It resulted in what I wanted, which was promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

To be honest, it probably took me a dozen games last season to realise that this is the way forward. Ardley and Burchnall did a sanitised version of possession football, Luke Williams actually made it effective in a spectacular way. We won more games than I've ever seen, we scored more goals than I've ever seen. It resulted in what I wanted, which was promotion.
    Agreed. I would have never believed we would win so many games and score so many goals.

Things had been nicely set up for Williams - I don't think we would have been anywhere near the levels if he had come into the set-up after the relegation. Lots of credit to the owners for the appointment which I am sure few of us saw coming.

When we played Cambridge in pre-season I have to admit that during the first game (we played 2 back-to-back) I was very dubious but in the second game when Macca got a hat-trick I began to wonder.... and as they say, the rest was history.

And we also went long a lot of times Saturday, I thought some of Stones long balls were great.
    LW wants short crisp passes with lots of movement but at the same time isn’t rigid with it.

To answer the headline question in the topic, I used to be a football fan and a Notts fan, but now I'm just a Notts fan. I have no interest in the Premiership and never watch MOTD. I would honestly get more satisfaction from Notts taking 6 points against Mansfield than I would from England (men or ladies) winning the World Cup. I want England to win, but not as much as I want Notts to win. In my case it's not a s exist thing, I went to watch Notts Ladies a couple of times at Meadow Lane and went to Wembley when they played in the FA Cup final. I enjoyed being at those games, but nothing like as much as I enjoy being at what I consider the real thing.

ps even the relegated Notts team would absolutely batter England Ladies.
    Absolutely. The whole club vs country debate never made any sense to me. People ask 'would you rather England won the World Cup or Notts got promoted?' Mate, I'd rather Notts won tonight than England won the World Cup, and I'm not even joking. I have zero connection to the England national team other than the fact I'm English, whereas Notts is a massive part of my life and identity, second only to my family and friends.

I think fans of top-level clubs struggle with this opinion, probably because they're already part of that elite football world that I despise so much.

Can't believe so many people have taken Sid's bait. Well done, Sid!

Notts aren't in it so no interest from me, despite living in Melbourne.

I don't watch A-league either. You can say I'm not a football fan if you like, I am unconcerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Notts aren't in it so no interest from me, despite living in Melbourne.

I don't watch A-league either. You can say I'm not a football fan if you like, I am unconcerned.
    Well, that turned out to be a fascinating fred that went in unpredictable directions. I never seriously invited comparison between the men's and women's game; what I said was that there are elements of the women's game - as featured in the World Cup - that invited reflection - sportsmanship, gamesmanship, tactical planning. I was also disappointed that few in our fold thought the women's world cup was worthy of comment. At least that got addressed with the recognition of many posters that the women's game has taken huge leaps forward in the last 20 years.
    But yes, you only have to compare the statistics in athletics to know that women will never overtake men in sports that have a strong physical element. A woman will never do a 2 hour marathon or a 9.5 100 metres so implicit in that is men's physical superiority.
    One unaccountable dilemma was latched onto by Elite. Many of our posters despise the Premier and international scenes, presumably for their celebrity status and the ridiculous sums of money involved.
    We only love Notts said many and can't even bear MotD. Yet isn't that a somewhat parochial point of view? After all, Notts fans want their team (understandably) to win every match. But the ultimate success in football is to aspire to the hated Premier League. So what happens then - do we just eat ourselves and rekindle our interest in the women's game?
    El Sid
    Last edited by sidders; 15-08-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Good question by Sid and one I've thought of many times myself. Unless you get a very rich owner then the highest you can really go is middle to lower EPL with maybe a Europa conference run out after a very good season after which your best players will go to the top 7. What's more likely to happen is you'll be battling EPL relegation then one day go down so then become a yo-yo team or if it goes tits up, go right down the leagues.

The only thing worth going up for is playing at the good grounds and the money, Luton this season have risen to the top league but will probably get thrashed most weeks. Alot of teams fans who get relegated enjoy winning games again in the championship.

The only way this will ever improve is if the teams owners get bored or Saudi Arabia becomes the number 1 league.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Well, that turned out to be a fascinating fred that went in unpredictable directions. I never seriously invited comparison between the men's and women's game; what I said was that there are elements of the women's game - as featured in the World Cup - that invited reflection - sportsmanship, gamesmanship, tactical planning. I was also disappointed that few in our fold thought the women's world cup was worthy of comment. At least that got addressed with the recognition of many posters that the women's game has taken huge leaps forward in the last 20 years.
    But yes, you only have to compare the statistics in athletics to know that women will never overtake men in sports that have a strong physical element. A woman will never do a 2 hour marathon or a 9.5 100 metres so implicit in that is men's physical superiority.
    One unaccountable dilemma was latched onto by Elite. Many of our posters despise the Premier and international scenes, presumably for their celebrity status and the ridiculous sums of money involved.
    We only love Notts said many and can't even bear MotD. Yet isn't that a somewhat parochial point of view? After all, Notts fans want their team (understandably) to win every match. But the ultimate success in football is to aspire to the hated Premier League. So what happens then - do we just eat ourselves and rekindle our interest in the women's game?
    El Sid
    I do not mind the ladies football at all Sid but perhaps for different reasons than many in that one of my daughters loves it and I love watching it with her and watching her play. I don't think there is an argument to form about people disliking the greed of the premier league. Especially coming from a poster who regularly has fought for the working classes! Anyway big night in our house tonight rest of the family going for Australia me for England. 0-0 written all over it. Enjoyed the other semi last night but the final ball into the box for large parts especially from Sweden was as poor as Notts tonight. Lifes rich tapestry means some people like stuff and some people don't. I'm all for that and long may it continue!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456